• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinda OT but in some cases comic related - Action Figure Collecting

57 posts in this topic

I collect the G1 Transformers in the the box. Just missing a few autobots. They got expensive. I have tons of 80's GI Joes stuff in my parent's basement.

And a bunch of Phantom Menace toys, which I don't think are worth anything. Not even that Mace Windu in the cardboard box thing.

I collect Jurassic Park action figures but mostly from the first the movies though. I have a bunch of Final Fantasy figures that I'm looking to get rid of -_- I also have the sideshow limited edition of Tychus Findlay from the Starcraft video game.

I collected some of the late 80s/early 90s Toy Biz Marvel comics figures for a while, then gradually movied into some of the DC toys, Star Wards and re-issue GI Joes, some TFs and mainly Robotech/Macross.

I had a closet full of them boxed, but then sold 90% of them after figuring out there's no way I'll ever be able to display it fully without looking like a loon. SO I kept just a few things like Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Unicron, some of my kids toys from the early 80s and gashapon Gundam figures which I can fit into a small display cabinet in my home office.

I think I broke even or made just a few bucks in selling the toys. But at least I cleared up space.

i was getting to original NBC toys until the price went through the roof. and buffy figures until every other figure was an exclusive to a specific store chain. plus millons of star wars of course. the only ones i have complete runs of are the sideshow universal monsters and earthworm jim!

Toybiz XMen for me. Full run with variants. Stopped after packeage, repackage, etc. Also the Large Army figures Dragon Toys make, till those got out of hand in price. I also have a boat load of the Star Wars figures everyone went gaga after , the ones with all those crazy prices cause of incorrect trays and lightsabers...

I think you can make more off it than you think on ebay depending on what ya got ... Heck even selling to the forums here could work ... the market for those that collect action figures & what not is just as large if not larger than those who collect comics :D

If you look at the action figure market you can still see there is a demand. Especially for high quality stuff. Just look at companies like Hot Toys. Their figures are high quality stuff and sell for about $160 a piece and are very much wanted with the Action figure collector.

Also figures from Sideshow collectibles are going for top $$$ and don't seem to go down in price.

Still, don't think they are a good investment, but I don't think you'll make a loss with them either.

However, at the end of the day you should just buy what you want for yourself. I have a nice collection of figures and statues. Never bought them with the intension of ever hoping to make money on them, just got them because I love them (and I am a geek)

The toy market is very similar to the comic market. There are a few toys from a handful of lines that go crazy, cool down, and then another one pops up. I never really collected star wars, but there's a couple of recent-ish figs that are doing well (darth revan). Also, video game toys do well, there's a few final fantasy and zelda toys that are fairly pricey. McFarlane, whatever you think of the guy/toy company, has several figs that bring big $$$ and have gotten into the ultra limited variants, less than 100 down to 3 (babe ruth). Some have cleared several grand.

My advice is to do your research regardless of how much of a waste of time you think it may be. How many stories have we heard about someone buying a box of someones comics/toys and pulled a gem or two?

Granted, 90's toys may be the exception...

our business was built in the early 90's on selling action figures...we experienced tremendous growth all the way to 2005... the last 4 years have been a steady decline in sales, to the point that in 2010, we are down 90% from 2005...

the market has changed and might never recover, so if you are collecting for fun, stick with it...but virtually NO investment value in 1990's-2000's toys

How exactly does that guy from Brian's Toys do it? I mean, I get his catalog all the time and no, I don't follow newer action figures much but it seems like he's got recently released stuff listed and it's for hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars. Is he just the one guy on the planet who gets all the rarities or something? All I know is I like his catalogs and he does have one heck of a selection of super duper, high-priced stuff I could not, nor would ever buy. But it sure is fun to look at all of it. Who wouldn't want a rocket-firing Boba Fett. :headbang:

our business was built in the early 90's on selling action figures...we experienced tremendous growth all the way to 2005... the last 4 years have been a steady decline in sales, to the point that in 2010, we are down 90% from 2005...

the market has changed and might never recover, so if you are collecting for fun, stick with it...but virtually NO investment value in 1990's-2000's toys

Everybody here what the man be saying, here, doh!

Rick any reason for such a sharp decline (economy aside). Is it just a case of the market being a victim of its own success, way too much product being made to the point that collectors are just getting turned off and give up? What do some of your previous big collectors tell you?