• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinda OT but in some cases comic related - Action Figure Collecting

57 posts in this topic

Anyone collect recent action figures? I have a bunch of Star Wars, Batman (movies and animated series), Marvel figures, and a smattering of other stuff. Mostly movie related stuff like Terminator, Hook, etc Have some Simpsons figures as well. Bought most of this stuff new back in the 90s. Yeah, went through an action figure collecting phase. Wish I had just spent that money on comics instead. :(

I know the market for this stuff isn't exactly hot right now and boxes of this stuff is clogging up my basement. Thinking about just donating all of it as a tax write off.

I know there are some rariities and variations that have some value but do you think the common stuff will have any real value 10-20 years from now?

Anyone collect recent action figures? I have a bunch of Star Wars, Batman (movies and animated series), Marvel figures, and a smattering of other stuff. Mostly movie related stuff like Terminator, Hook, etc Have some Simpsons figures as well. Bought most of this stuff new back in the 90s. Yeah, went through an action figure collecting phase. Wish I had just spent that money on comics instead. :(

I know the market for this stuff isn't exactly hot right now and boxes of this stuff is clogging up my basement. Thinking about just donating all of it as a tax write off.

I know there are some rariities and variations that have some value but do you think the common stuff will have any real value 10-20 years from now?

I use to be a big time collector in the late 1980`s, early 1990`s.

I take it just like baseball cards and comics the market is soft for the stuff of that era?

I just got finished selling a bunch of toys from that era on ebay and I was surprised at how well some of it did...Micro machine play-sets from star wars did really well...Simpson's figures will do well...

I think that if you listed a bunch of them and started them @ $.99 you would be surprised at what moved and for how much. Great way to clear out some space and pad the paypal account.

They aren't fetching $50 each anymore, but you can still get more than a couple of dollars for carded figures and sometimes you get surprised.

You can then donate the rest of the toys that dont move and write off what you spent on them...so win-win-win.

I just got finished selling a bunch of toys from that era on ebay and I was surprised at how well some of it did...Micro machine play-sets from star wars did really well...Simpson's figures will do well...

I think that if you listed a bunch of them and started them @ $.99 you would be surprised at what moved and for how much. Great way to clear out some space and pad the paypal account.

They aren't fetching $50 each anymore, but you can still get more than a couple of dollars for carded figures and sometimes you get surprised.

You can then donate the rest of the toys that dont move and write off what you spent on them...so win-win-win.

Which of the Micro Machines play sets did well? I've got some of these and would be interested to know how much they go for.

our business was built in the early 90's on selling action figures...we experienced tremendous growth all the way to 2005... the last 4 years have been a steady decline in sales, to the point that in 2010, we are down 90% from 2005...

the market has changed and might never recover, so if you are collecting for fun, stick with it...but virtually NO investment value in 1990's-2000's toys

Which of the Micro Machines play sets did well? I've got some of these and would be interested to know how much they go for.

I sold mostly the Chewbacca head that turns into Endor type of playsets and I think that they sold around $10 each or so...the larger playsets sold for more, like the millennium Falcon I think fetched around $35. You arent going to get rich, but you might actually get some of your money back. Strangely enough a lot of just random pieces and playsets sold for around $30 or so, all loose and not any complete sets or anything, but that got me started selling the boxed playsets.

I sold mostly the Chewbacca head that turns into Endor type of playsets and I think that they sold around $10 each or so...the larger playsets sold for more, like the millennium Falcon I think fetched around $35. You arent going to get rich, but you might actually get some of your money back. Strangely enough a lot of just random pieces and playsets sold for around $30 or so, all loose and not any complete sets or anything, but that got me started selling the boxed playsets.

I've got the Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and Luke in Hoth Gear head sets. I think I've still got the boxes for them although I think they've been flattened down but that should be an easy fix. I don't think any pieces are missing either. I've also got some other ones that I can't remember exactly what they are. If I can get $10 for each of them, that would be great. I'm planning to sell my vontage Star Wars stuff. I've got the Sy Snootles band boxed, an AT-AT boxed, some Ewok stuff, mini rigs and vehicles. I've also got loads of the re-issue figures, vehicles and sets from the 1990s. No idea what those are worth and ditto with all the Phantom Menace stuff I have. Any experience with the Kenner/Hasbro figures?

I've also got loads of the re-issue figures, vehicles and sets from the 1990s.

I have a bunch of those as well. I remember some Toys-R-Us sales on that stuff.

our business was built in the early 90's on selling action figures...we experienced tremendous growth all the way to 2005... the last 4 years have been a steady decline in sales, to the point that in 2010, we are down 90% from 2005...

omg

I used to go into toys-r-us when movies like The Phantom Menace came out and raced to the aisle and bought every single figure that came out the minute they did. After a while I got stuck with a bunch of stuff no one wanted and my vintage carded star wars was the only stuff that ever sold easily for me. The rest I practically had to give away.

I also realized that running into toys-r-us to fill a carriage for myself on a Saturday morning and then pinning the figures on my wall was going to scare off the ladies pretty damn quick so I stopped doing it. A grown man toy hunting isn't very attractive to women. lol

A grown man toy hunting isn't very attractive to women. lol

The staff at the local Toy Works back then knew me by name. doh!

They had some nice looking women working there. Like I was gonna get any. lol:(

I think collecting vintage toys is extremely cool. There are so many out there that I've had that I love. My favorite of all time is the original stretch armstrongs. The monster is the coolest I ever owned and was hard to find.

I just think hunting new toys can be a little strange lol I am guilty of it too though.

I also realized that running into toys-r-us to fill a carriage for myself on a Saturday morning and then pinning the figures on my wall was going to scare off the ladies pretty damn quick so I stopped doing it. A grown man toy hunting isn't very attractive to women. lol

Even more than comic collecting? :D

I sold off all my 90s and 2000s action figures at a garage sale last year for $1 a pop. Mostly Star Wars and Simpsons. I figured that was more than I could get by putting them on eBay after the eBay and PayPal fees.

The only ones I have left are my original Star Wars figures from the 70s.

tough call but I don't think either choice results in mass panty-dropping

tough call but I don't think either choice results in mass panty-dropping

lol