• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller returns to the '300' battlefield with 'Xerxes'

42 posts in this topic

Prequels are the new sequel.

Like Bill Goldman says/admits, all sequels/prequels are whore's work, designed entirely as money-making exercises without any thought to art, theme or social commentary.

I think we all know that from TDK2. :insane:

:cry: Curse you LUCAS!!!

Actually, isn't William Goldman to blame for starting this with the Butch and Sundance prequel? He admits as much, calling it and all sequels/prequels whore's work, and slamming Lucas to taking it to the next/lowest level.

Was there a prequel to a box office smash prior to that?

Since I'm a Miller Zombie I'll wait till I see it before I pass judgement.

I look at sequels as just another story arc, much like in a comic book.

If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad.

Thanks Roy, I find myself in total agreement with you here. Have we

become so jaded that we judge a work before it is seen, or even finished???

:gossip:Satiricaly :baiting: pokes self, as to the known answer.

:gossip:Satiricaly :baiting: pockes self, as to the known answer.

I owned almost 400 straight issues of X-men and there was a sequel every few issues. Some sucked and some didn't.

:grin:

:gossip:Satirically :baiting: pokes self, as to the known answer.

I owned almost 400 straight issues of X-men and there was a sequel every few issues. Some sucked and some didn't.

:grin:

Was that during the"Marvel Age of Continuity" ??

Was that during the"Marvel Age of Continuity" ??

More or less. One universe, one people.

:sumo:

:cry: Curse you LUCAS!!!

Actually, isn't William Goldman to blame for starting this with the Butch and Sundance prequel? He admits as much, calling it and all sequels/prequels whore's work, and slamming Lucas to taking it to the next/lowest level.

Was there a prequel to a box office smash prior to that?

Godfather 2 is half prequel, half sequel, and who thinks that movie suffers for it?

No, Godfather 2 is a sequel (that moves the story and plot forward from GF1) but with flashbacks, which is not what we're talking about here. Lots of movies have flashbacks, but that doesn't make them all prequels.

A prequel takes place *entirely* before its predecessor.

Frank has lost his mojo (for lack of better words)

And 300 was never supposed to have a prequel.

Can't see how you can say Miller has lost his mojo...just because of the Spirit? It's just evidence to me that you truly can't expect a guy who never went to film school and spent those years studying great directors that film school grads do can't be expected to all of a sudden be a great director. With the Spirit, we saw Miller go through the types of growing pains that film school grads go through while they're still in school or still making low-budget films directly after school, he just did it with a big budget. I see no evidence that he's lost anything.

I also have no evidence he ever HAD that much. He's been great within the realm of comics, but comics writing is generally rather primitive compared to literature and screenplays. Miller stood out because he had more talent than most comic book writers typically do...he should still be able to crank out great comic books, or even screenplays if he works at it. I'd prefer he didn't direct another big-budget film until he gets more experience at directing smaller stuff though.

I'm generally looking forward to Xerxes, hopefully he's inspired. It's also possible he's lost it as you suggest, but I've seen no evidence of it. (shrug)

I won't pass judgement til its out, but when you look at his most recent comic book work, Batman and Robin and The Dark Night Strikes Back, you have to wonder. Batman and Robin was so bad that I had to read it. Like a drug habit bad. Train wreck bad.