• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting key books or full run...which do you do?

46 posts in this topic

I've been struggling with this...

Focus only on the key books versus having say run 39-99 of TOS..

I am about 80% of the way to a complete run but I also want Avengers 1 and FF... avengers 4...

What do you guys do?

I used to chase full runs, but after selling several collections to start over again I decided to go with keys and classic cover books (or other high demand issues) only. In the end you have to practically give away a lot of common/low demand issues even in high grade if you want to move them. However, keys/classic cover/high demand issues always sell and tend to appreciate in value faster.

Now with all of the omnibus collections/masterworks/etc. you can get access to the common issue stories very easily if you need them.

I did a pretty full run of spideys, and was very strict about not buying anything else.

I got very very bored and for the last 2 months have been avoiding spideys like the plauge.

I'm having the most fun I've had in this hobby, putting together keys and covers i like from varied titles.

variety is the best thing about this hobby imo

I was slave to my ASM 1-100 and FF 1-100 sets...and then I sold off ASM 53-100 less about 10 "key" issues and FF 73-100 less my 75 9.4 to purchase some HG lower issue # keys etc...and now I'm FREE...I'm FREE... :insane::whee:

I am still a slave to my ASM run,but since I have most all the keys in the run.I have been focusing on the big Silver age keys.My list of big keys are (I have)AF#15,ASM #1,ToS #39,(need to get)F.F.#1,Hulk #1,X-Men #1,Showcase#22,GL#1

I will have the Incredible Hulk#1 at SDCC :cloud9:

Been going for runs. It's really tough, but I have fun with it. I collect signatures, so I don't mind the lower grades as much as I would otherwise.

Once you have a full run, you can swap out lower-grade with higher-grade keys as you acquire them and still have full runs. It's fun, but probably not the best route to go investment-wise. From the money side, it's probably best to stick with the keys.

Bill.

Always go after the keys first, and any non-keys that are notoriously hard to find, particularly if you have certain minimum grade requirements. The rest of the run is just that, the rest of the run, and generally pretty easy to fill in at your leisure.

Always go after the keys first, and any non-keys that are notoriously hard to find, particularly if you have certain minimum grade requirements. The rest of the run is just that, the rest of the run, and generally pretty easy to fill in at your leisure.

What if the key is Tec 27 :eek: and I can't even afford a brittle flake from a corner

:idea: Reprint :whee:

Best to get the key(s) first as they will most likely keep rising in value and are more liquid than a bunch of cheapo issues

I've been struggling with this...

Focus only on the key books versus having say run 39-99 of TOS..

I am about 80% of the way to a complete run but I also want Avengers 1 and FF... avengers 4...

What do you guys do?

You didn't mention option 3: collect all kinds of things and dont' worry about completing runs or just acquiring keys.

I'm focusing on buying keys only nowadays. My price limit on any book is $1200. With that limit, the only SA key I can't afford is AF 15 but I can afford all the others. These range from a FF 1 in 1.5 to a DD 1 in 7.0. Even with this limit, there's no way I can afford ALL of them so I will probably get the ones I REALLY want first, which would be Hulk 1, ASM 1 and X-Men 1. The Hulk and ASM would have to be no more than 1.8 while X-Men 1 would be no higher than 3.5. Once I get those grails, I'll then go after the other SA keys I would like to have before moving onto the Bronze keys.

I like the satifaction of putting together a run.

However, I buy what I like. If I like trying to put together a run of something, so be it. If I like buying just one key or classic cover, done!

I'm a key chaser for the most part. But I am putting together two small runs. All Select complete run from 1 to 11 and the Thor JIM run in 7.0+. Both of them are very, very tough to complete and the great thing about both is they're also pretty easy to liquidate if need be. Lot's of Timely and JIM collector's out there. I used to be a completionist, but it really wasn't bringing me any satisfaction to buy a 100 issues of Captain America even in high-grade as they're rather plentiful. I prefer a challenge. lol

Thanks guys. I think I am going to complete the run of early TOS with the Mark 1 and 2 suit (grey and gold). 39-47. I already have 48 with the new suit and have 40, 43, 46 and 47.

The others will be filled in later over time as I have most of them already.

I am going to get a Avengers 1 and 4 and other keys along the way.

I love this hobby...I'm getting books I always wanted as a kid and at these prices I wish I had bought them when I was 11 instead of 41 :makepoint:

I have always taken the 'shotgun' approach. I have many 'loners' Conan #1, Crime Suspense Stories #7, Marvel Special edition #15, Capt marvel adv.s #20. I don't focus on era's even. Golden age to Modern. Variety is very fulfilling.

The only semi-focus I have is ASM, but I go off track there a lot too.

Does anyone else have as schitzophrenic a collecting bent as I do?

I'm a key chaser for the most part. But I am putting together two small runs. All Select complete run from 1 to 11 and the Thor JIM run in 7.0+. Both of them are very, very tough to complete and the great thing about both is they're also pretty easy to liquidate if need be. Lot's of Timely and JIM collector's out there. I used to be a completionist, but it really wasn't bringing me any satisfaction to buy a 100 issues of Captain America even in high-grade as they're rather plentiful. I prefer a challenge. lol

I'm also working on a run of MLMeade undercopies lol (thumbs u

I'm also working on a run of MLMeade undercopies lol (thumbs u

lol

I used to chase full runs, but after selling several collections to start over again I decided to go with keys and classic cover books (or other high demand issues) only. In the end you have to practically give away a lot of common/low demand issues even in high grade if you want to move them. However, keys/classic cover/high demand issues always sell and tend to appreciate in value faster.

Now with all of the omnibus collections/masterworks/etc. you can get access to the common issue stories very easily if you need them.

+ 1......with an emphasis on my personal favorites in as high a grade as I can afford or find. Price is definitely a factor....most I've spent on one is around 1500....but I have trouble going over 500, which limits me with the type of books I like. My collection spans many genres and ages. For example, I just added sharp copies of Conan 23, FF Annual 6, Two Gun Kid 57, and 'tec 457. I like to get one or two examples of favorite runs or genres....not always keys, as they're expensive and readily available as reprints. Another example is Brave and Bold 24....always wanted one but don't want to spend high grade money, so I settled for a 5.5 in the 100 dollar neighborhood. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

BB24.jpg