• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

I'm left wondering what the problem is we're trying to solve. The bad sellers usually illuminate themselves quite well - it is only our greed and lust for books that allows the occasional one to prosper. :shrug:

I would tend to agree with this.

I also think that sellers should be required to offer a full money back guarantee (for ANY reason) or never be allowed to post again. In a community, this should be the minimum acceptable standard.

+1

Damn, when you talk technical like that I find it very sexy. Is that wrong?

:signfunny:

Might be, but in retrospect, it's an improvement when compared to the "head hurts" comments I've received lol

I don't particularly want to be in a place where I have to be voted in to sell comics - I think that's a little ridiculous.

Christonaingbike. doh!

OK, one last time...

YOU WOULDN'T NEED TO BE VOTED IN TO

BE ABLE TO SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is starting to sound like my old GPA thread where people missed the point.

:insane:

I'm left wondering what the problem is we're trying to solve. The bad sellers usually illuminate themselves quite well - it is only our greed and lust for books that allows the occasional one to prosper. :shrug:

I would tend to agree with this.

I still think that the sales forum should be only for people who contribute to the community as a whole, not just an ebay alternative. If you don't care anything about the people here, and the things being discussed, then you have no right to benefit from the money available here through sales. Perhaps you should just go to Craig's list.

I also think that sellers should be required to offer a full money back guarantee (for ANY reason) or never be allowed to post again. In a community, this should be the minimum acceptable standard.

I am always amazed at how quickly the beauty of a few books can sway some members of this board into assuming legitimacy of a seller. It happens over and over again on here. If the deal seems good enough, I guess the temptation is too great for some.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

See? We can agree. :D

I don't particularly want to be in a place where I have to be voted in to sell comics - I think that's a little ridiculous.

Christonaingbike. doh!

OK, one last time...

I think people that use bold and huge font should be banned first and foremost.

:jokealert:

Any other ideas or measures can be applied above and beyond but does anyone else think that this is a bad idea to start with?

I do.

Because it artificially creates an "elitism" that I thought we've always tried to get rid of.

If I'm getting this wrong, please correct me:

Essentially it boils down to these basic problems:

1) The rules for the Marketplace aren't being enforced (thread bumping, etc. etc.).

2) There are "Noobs" in the Marketplace who aren't posting anywhere else, and therefore not being part of the "community."

3) There's "rampant overgrading" within the Marketplace.

All of this has come up before. All of it. If the rules are enforced, the community will self police.

If a seller is terrible, nobody will buy from that seller, and he/she will go away. If a seller is good, people will buy from that seller, and everybody wins. I can think of a couple of people right off the top of my head (ciorac, Bangzoom) who were looked at seriously askance when they first arrived, and are now "upstanding members" of the community. Do we want to be running people off? That's happened before as well, and I don't particularly want to be in a place where I have to be voted in to sell comics - I think that's a little ridiculous.

I tend to agree with donut in principle.

Another thing I have to add is that (like any other forum), noobz are largely ignored in the forums. You can participate in conversations all you want, but unless you have all day to post on the innarwebs or have been here for years, your contributions go largely unnoticed. Just because a noob posts a big passle of messages doesn't make them any more or less viable than one who just likes to read.

When I first came here, I tried posting some in general, but was slow to contribute because I like to get the gauge of a place before opening my big mouth. I actually made my bones here in the Marketplace, because you can buy stuff and, IMO, have easy conversations in sales threads when you do so. I made my first friends here on the boards in the Marketplace - and to be honest, I still have some of the best conversations with other boardies as a direct result of constantly perusing the sales threads rather than hanging out in general. This has carried over to me being a seller, where I have great ongoing interactions with buyers who rarely post on the boards (either in my sales threads or via PM, which happens quite a bit).

The whole 'make a contribution' bit would be really tough to legislate, being that almost every subject under the sun has been broached already. When a noob starts a thread about something that has already been discussed, he or she is admonished to 'use the search function'. Nothing wrong with that, but all the same, it makes you pause to further define 'make a contribution' or 'become an upstanding member of the community'.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with people that just post in the marketplace. I look at the marketplace as just another part of the community - you shouldn't have to hang out everywhere to be a member. Just because I go to a comic convention, that doesn't mean I'm going to go to every booth. I go to the two or three that interest me, I talk to the people there, maybe buy some stuff, then go home satisfied.

Christonaingbike. doh!

OK, one last time...

Maybe we should limit the amount of exclamation marks that can be used in one sentence.

lol

Christonaingbike. doh!

OK, one last time...

Just when you start agreeing with me, I have to go and smart off.....

How about starting a list of reputable sellers that can be nominated by those board members that they've dealt with?

Any board member could nominate a seller that they've dealt with multiple times and had perfect transactions with every time. The nominator would have to have his name displayed on the list to avoid fake nominations.

EXAMPLE

Flaming Telepath (nominated by Gaz973 02/06/10)

Herald2Galactus (nominated by Capfreak 01/03/13)

... and so on.

OK, I'm gonna bump this because I think there is a worthwhile thought in it. I think there should be some way to distinguish sellers with an excellent track record from those without. Maybe there could be spme way to log up an accumulation of recommendations?

The closest think you can get to this idea is using the search string I included in my previous post, and weeding through the results to locate posts of recommendation. Creating a social bookmark or online reference manifest is do-able, but the best way would be to have a numeric tally (much like eBay does) that could link readers to review at their own leisure.

I got USB error when I clicked your link. :sorry:

Does this do the same?

I like Dale's suggestion a lot -- is simple and preserves the freedom, openness and egalitarianism of the boards while deterring the bad behavior that concerns us all.

Would it be that hard to require a full refund policy for sellers to the rules? If you don't comply, you go to the probation list. More than one occurence, and you get banned. Seems pretty simple and would solve almost every problem.

Would it be that hard to require a full refund policy for sellers to the rules? If you don't comply, you go to the probation list. More than one occurence, and you get banned. Seems pretty simple and would solve almost every problem.

It still doesn't help prevent the seller who ducks in for a few posts and simply takes the money and runs.

(shrug)

I actually really like this proposed policy.

It's easy to understand and there is really no way around it.

Win.

It still doesn't help prevent the seller who ducks in for a few posts and simply takes the money and runs.

(shrug)

Nothing can prevent that........ except for the buyers not buying from him. It only makes sure that he can't do it again.

I actually really like this proposed policy.

It's easy to understand and there is really no way around it.

Win.

The best thing about it, most of the good sellers already do this.

(shrug)

Nothing can prevent that except for the buyers not buying from him. It only makes sure that he can't do it again.

Well, another simple way would be for somebody to act as an escrow service for new sellers, until such time as they had proven they were above board. hm

Christonaingbike. doh!

OK, one last time...

You're correct. You would be "voted in" to be on the "approved list of sellers" though. What happens if you're not on that list? Nobody will buy from you.

I am always amazed at how quickly the beauty of a few books can sway some members of this board into assuming legitimacy of a seller. It happens over and over again on here. If the deal seems good enough, I guess the temptation is too great for some.

I'm amazed at how if you have "quality" books, you're given a free pass when called on gratuitously self bumping your own sales thread.