• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

Just to play devil's advocate here.......

I, for one, agree that sellers should offter money back guarantees but shouldn't that ultimately be up to the seller?

What about returns on CGC graded books? You disagree with a CGC grade - and the book is the same way when you get it than when I sold it to you - your problem is with Sarasota, not with me.

I agreed with your points up to this one Donut...so close :doh: Anyway, ultimately your point of enforcing the pre-existing rules is valid I think. However, in my opinion a retailer should stand behind their product, CGC-graded or not. Especially, if we keep in mind this is community based selling where no listing overhead is charged. Not an apples to apples comparison, but let's say I buy a Sony from Best Buy and quickly find their is a particular feature on it I don't like. It is working fine and technically my issue is with Sony. However, I take it back to the most recent prior seller, in this case Best Buy. Despite the fact that the store sold it in working order, to a buyer who admittedly should have known the features, they nonetheless accept the return :shrug: Returning to comics and my own personal rules...I do accept returns on slabbed books, and also given my opinion above, I do not buy slabbed books from sellers that state no returns on professionally graded material (vote with my dollars I guess :) )

SE

But what if a buyer buys a $2000-3000 cgc slabbed book and has buyers remorse and wants a refund because he doesn't like the way the book looks. Thats opening up to many ways for a buyer to screw with the seller. I'm all for protecting the buyer on raw books but slabs that's a little different

I'm left wondering what the problem is we're trying to solve. The bad sellers usually illuminate themselves quite well - it is only our greed and lust for books that allows the occasional one to prosper. :shrug:

I would tend to agree with this.

I also think that sellers should be required to offer a full money back guarantee (for ANY reason) or never be allowed to post again. In a community, this should be the minimum acceptable standard.

+1

I agree on raw books 100% but what about a seller who sells a slab? I mean if it got broke in the mail or it was cracked and the seller didn't disclose it the by all means refund the buyer, but what about if the buyer doesn't agree with cgc grade and wants a refund? (shrug) Should the seller be forced to refund the buyer then?

Really though? How often is this a problem?

I, for one, agree that sellers should offter money back guarantees but shouldn't that ultimately be up to the seller?

No. It should be completely up to the collective will of the boards. This board is not about individual seller's rights. It is about the community. If a seller won't play by the rules, then he should not be allowed to sell here. He can start his own website and do whatever he likes.

I'm not sure the "collective will" here agrees with that. No doubt some will.

What about returns on CGC graded books? You disagree with a CGC grade - and the book is the same way when you get it than when I sold it to you - your problem is with Sarasota, not with me.

I agreed with your points up to this one Donut...so close :doh: Anyway, ultimately your point of enforcing the pre-existing rules is valid I think. However, in my opinion a retailer should stand behind their product, CGC-graded or not. Especially, if we keep in mind this is community based selling where no listing overhead is charged. Not an apples to apples comparison, but let's say I buy a Sony from Best Buy and quickly find their is a particular feature on it I don't like. It is working fine and technically my issue is with Sony. However, I take it back to the most recent prior seller, in this case Best Buy. Despite the fact that the store sold it in working order, to a buyer who admittedly should have known the features, they nonetheless accept the return :shrug: Returning to comics and my own personal rules...I do accept returns on slabbed books, and also given my opinion above, I do not buy slabbed books from sellers that state no returns on professionally graded material (vote with my dollars I guess :) )

SE

But what if a buyer buys a $2000-3000 cgc slabbed book and has buyers remorse and wants a refund because he doesn't like the way the book looks. Thats opening up to many ways for a buyer to screw with the seller. I'm all for protecting the buyer on raw books but slabs that's a little different

Unfortunately, to my eyes that is the risk you take as a seller here. You sell under the guise of it being a community, so get held to a higher standard than I would expect of you from eBay or the like. You outline a reasonable time for complaint (say seven days), and you do not use those funds for other purposes until the time is elapsed. Just because you sell higher dollar items, does not mean you get to offer lesser service in my opinion. Then to protect yourself as a seller, if you feel the return was unreasonable you mention it in the appropriate thread (to protect others) and don't sell to that buyer again. :shrug: I guess if you are that motivated to move a slab and don't care if the buyer is happy or not, consign it to the 'Link or HA perhaps.

SE

I'm left wondering what the problem is we're trying to solve. The bad sellers usually illuminate themselves quite well - it is only our greed and lust for books that allows the occasional one to prosper. :shrug:

I would tend to agree with this.

I also think that sellers should be required to offer a full money back guarantee (for ANY reason) or never be allowed to post again. In a community, this should be the minimum acceptable standard.

+1

I agree on raw books 100% but what about a seller who sells a slab? I mean if it got broke in the mail or it was cracked and the seller didn't disclose it the by all means refund the buyer, but what about if the buyer doesn't agree with cgc grade and wants a refund? (shrug) Should the seller be forced to refund the buyer then?

Not often but it has happened, ask rock he has a horror story to tell.

No. It should be completely up to the collective will of the boards. This board is not about individual seller's rights. It is about the community. If a seller won't play by the rules, then he should not be allowed to sell here. He can start his own website and do whatever he likes.

Somebody's hacked Dale's account! :ohnoez:

Yup, in full agreement. If a seller wants to play in this sandpit, they have to abide by this sandpit's rules.

And as for Donut's point about the existing rules, I do understand that, but it all gets wrapped up in 'thread krapping' and 'poor form' and 'sweet books, keep it up'. doh!

I could live with a simple rejig of the existing rules if...

(1) Returns had to be accepted on any items sold

(2) Sellers must have made 500 posts before they can sell

(3) If a rule has been broken in a sales thread...or a book is clearly overgraded...a comment can be made in that sales thread and the cheerleaders stay the hell out of it. :sumo:

How would you know?

I buy a couple slabs.

I pay for them

I get them

I have buyers remorse and want to return them

I email the seller that I don't agree with the CGC grades and want to return them. Basically, I lie and never mention buyers remorse.

Because the seller has a full return policy I get my money back

(shrug)

Yup, in full agreement. If a seller wants to play in this sandpit, they have to abide by this sandpit's rules.

And as for Donut's point about the existing rules, I do understand that, but it all gets wrapped up in 'thread krapping' and 'poor form' and 'sweet books, keep it up'. doh!

(3) If a rule has been broken in a sales thread...or a book is clearly overgraded...a comment can be made in that sales thread and the cheerleaders stay the hell out of it. :sumo:

I like this a LOT better than the seal of approval and seperate selling forum. The first two rules are clear, unambiguous, and easy to police. The third will take some time I think, as the culture of the boards will have to evolve and this behavior slowly becomes the norm. There currently is no way to keep the cheerleaders "the hell out of it"...but slowly I think they would see that they no longer have the support they once did as well as the silence of the majority (several times immediately come to mind where I wanted to say something in the thread but forum etiquette kept it to a pm or silence).

Great ideas here :applause:

SE

Considering just how loose CGC's grading can be...and we've all seen examples over the years...I don't see there's any difference. Just because Mr Big Shot from Sarasota has graded it doesn't mean it's right.

And besides, volunteering to offer refunds on everything is a stellar business practice, which is what we're aiming at, no? (shrug)

How would you know?

I buy a couple slabs.

I pay for them

I get them

I email the seller that I don't agree with the CGC grades and want to return them. Basically, I lie and never mention buyers remorse.

(shrug)

I happens and it will continue to happen. I see it as the cost of doing business and the long term benefits to the seller outweigh the occasional bad deal.

(3) If a rule has been broken in a sales thread...or a book is clearly overgraded...a comment can be made in that sales thread

I dunno. I always thought that calling out publicly in the thread, bad grading, to be rather a douchbaggy move.

What do others think?

and the cheerleaders stay the hell out of it. :sumo:

On that point, I completely agree.

How would you know?

I buy a couple slabs.

I pay for them

I get them

(shrug)

Agreed, dealing with buyer's remorse is a cost of business in this type of market (if you want to establish brand, buyer loyalty, etc.). You will get that sometimes, but it is outweighed by the number of satisfied customers you have and the great word of mouth that you receive. And again, you only have to let it happen once per buyer...as a seller, feel free not to sell to everyone...i.e. someone that was unreasonable in the past, someone else who has a reputation of being a difficult customer etc. Again, to beat the proverbial dead horse :ohnoez: , if you look at it from a community point of view, by doing it this way Bad Buyers will also start getting weeded out with the Bad Sellers. (thumbs u

SE

I happens and it will continue to happen. I see it as the cost of doing business and the long term benefits to the seller outweigh the occasional bad deal.

(3) If a rule has been broken in a sales thread...or a book is clearly overgraded...a comment can be made in that sales thread

I dunno. I always thought that calling out publicly in the thread, bad grading, to be rather a douchbaggy move.

What do others think?

Yeah, that's how it has been viewed, but our current 'non-interference' policy is simply allowing standards to slip further.

And besides, volunteering to offer refunds on everything is a stellar business practice, which is what we're aiming at, no? (shrug)

Absolutely.

But look at what you just wrote.

volunteering

That's a lot different than a board mandate that every seller MUST offer no question refunds.

Fair proposition, but number 2 is a flat count, and while it's meant to steer the new member into an understanding of how the board ticks, I'd much rather that number comprise of participation in at least one grading contest. The outliers would be participating in discussions and chalking-up some buying experience to wring out the more subtle quirks and expectations of the community.

SE

Considering just how loose CGC's grading can be...and we've all seen examples over the years...I don't see there's any difference. Just because Mr Big Shot from Sarasota has graded it doesn't mean it's right.

I agree on alot of points and a return policy on raw books but I don't on CGC books. I don't sell here that often "once in a while" I buy here more. When i buy a graded book here I take a good look at the pic and the grade and if I like it I buy it. I should have no reason to return the book. But what happens if someone over spends and says i dont like the way the book looks and wants his money back because he has buyers remorse or he buys the book because he thinks that it might be pressable and when he see's the book it can't be so he wants his money back. Thats going to be a big problem in the future. 2c