• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

This new Rocketeer is described as a "limited series" but I cant find any reference to the number of expected issues. :/

I did just get a #1 sketch variant graded 9.9! :)

SWEET! :thumbsup:

Just set it up for somebody to pick one of the exclusive SDCC sketchbook compendiums for me :thumbsup:

You guys think there will be enough demand for it that all 300 of them will be sold at SDCC?

Just set it up for somebody to pick one of the exclusive SDCC sketchbook compendiums for me :thumbsup:

You guys think there will be enough demand for it that all 300 of them will be sold at SDCC?

hm

With sales the way they have been on Ebay, I guess the demand for Stevens material has grown a much larger following. So maybe there could be a sellout.

I just don't see it though. Dave's art is spectacular and loved by a lot of people but with all the "media" at SDCC I was a bit surprised that IDW decided to do this. Granted, for them it was simply switching the cover art out but I haven't seen heavy advertising on it and don't think I've seen a single pre-sell on Ebay actually purchased.

Maybe they will be numbered and I can get a low number :)

hm

With sales the way they have been on Ebay, I guess the demand for Stevens material has grown a much larger following. So maybe there could be a sellout.

They premiered the Rocketeer Artist's Edition at last year's SDCC. The entire 1,500 copy print run (no special variants) was totally sold out very quickly.

Given the fact that buying the 4 sketchbooks now would cost you upwards of $200 (#1's a toughie) I think the 300 print run variant could be gone before Thursday is over. $50 is nothing for material like this. There are artists selling single sketchbooks for this much and printing 4 times as many.

hm

They premiered the Rocketeer Artist's Edition at last year's SDCC. The entire 1,500 copy print run (no special variants) was totally sold out very quickly.

Given the fact that buying the 4 sketchbooks now would cost you upwards of $200 (#1's a toughie) I think the 300 print run variant could be gone before Thursday is over. $50 is nothing for material like this. There are artists selling single sketchbooks for this much and printing 4 times as many.

What he said!

:sumo:

hm

What he said!

:sumo:

Also, the ones on Ebay are all $90-125. The book is $50 at SDCC. It's jumping the gun to double up on a book that isn't even for sale yet.

The same thing happened on Ebay last year. You had your pick of Artist's editions at $150-175 before, during and right after the show...they all disappeared within a couple of weeks. They go for quite a bit more now.

There is definitely a feeling of fan excitement again over Stevens material I hadn't seen in a long while.

Maybe IDW picked up on this market change, and that is why they decided to make the jump into Rocketeer.

There is definitely a feeling of fan excitement again over Stevens material I hadn't seen in a long while.

IDK, I think a lot of it are folks just trying to make a buck. Reminds me of Elmo, Cabbage Patch Kids and Beanie Babies. The frenzy will die down.

IDK, I think a lot of it are folks just trying to make a buck. Reminds me of Elmo, Cabbage Patch Kids and Beanie Babies. The frenzy will die down.

Oh, I can see this happening once everyone has their copy of a given favorite book or two.

Although Airboy 5 proves that wrong, as the more copies of 9.8's hit the census, the higher the price. To see it go from $47 two years ago to $100 now, and from one-two 9.8's in the census two years ago to now twenty 9.8's and one 9.9, it seems like the prices follow a Bizarro path.

I'm somewhere in between. I'll go ahead and tell you I paid somebody $80 to pick one up for me at the show. Still nearly $10 less than anyone on Ebay but considerably more than $50. I don't mind paying the extra because they don't tell you that it won't actually be $50 but it will have sales tax added so it's more like $55, and somebody has to be physically there to pick it up and mail it back to me. Therefore, that seemed very reasonable.

I think the surge in Dave Stevens has been in a large part due to IDW. When they started tracking down all the original art to get high quality scans for the Rocketeer book everyone started paying attention to Dave's stuff again. It certainly didn't hurt Laura Martin's career either. She basically took off when everyone found out she did the color work. Great lady, love her stuff.

Besides IDW though I think these very boards can boast they had something to do with it. When there is a thread dedicated to an artist over 136 pages long and we still have something to say about an artist that no longer is with us, we create our own buzz. That and usually when a high grade Stevens book comes up on auction somewhere one of us is either the seller or the buyer. Agreed?

I tend to agree that beyond these and a few others though we've got people jumping on the bandwagon trying to make a quick buck or two. That can be good for us because stuff comes out of the woodwork that hasn't been seen in years, but it also might temporarily drive up all the other stuff that we know is mass produced and really not worth the prices being asked. Normal ebb and flow I suppose.

All I know if you made it this far is I like Dave's stuff. I was blessed to have met the man on several occassions and I wish he were still with us today. :thumbsup:

Oh, I can see this happening once everyone has their copy of a given favorite book or two.

Although Airboy 5 proves that wrong, as the more copies of 9.8's hit the census, the higher the price. To see it go from $47 two years ago to $100 now, and from one-two 9.8's in the census two years ago to now twenty 9.8's and one 9.9, it seems like the prices follow a Bizarro path.

I think your point on the Airboy 5 is well taken. As more and more copies continue to hit the census it seems to maintain the price it had before. I'm obviously happy about this since I have one, but it also makes me think that it may have been undervalued in the beginning and the adjustment is taking place to increase it's value due to the aspects of the book (it's Dave, really thin, non-mainstream with decent demand, seldom found in the $1 boxes anymore, an older modern at this point, etc) at the same time that the "rare"ness of it started to decrease because people that had set aside sweet copies in their collection began subbing the books.

Oh, and how about that....1,000 posts!

Just an FYI guys and gals, I've got a Dave Stevens Crossfire ending today on Ebay. Only a 9.2 but if you don't have one at all, it's at a decent price and it would be a great starter until you can find that 9.6 or higher :)