• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con updates?

28 posts in this topic

It's pretty sweet. But 4K seems a bit steep.

thats nothing... 8k for the brooks piece? really... 8k?!

Two people really wanted it. That's all it takes.

In the piece's defense, if you were there to see it, it was spectacular. The pic online does it no justice.

There were a bunch of results like that

Hughes and Brooks $8k each

Roux $5250

Campbell $4k

Canete $2750

probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

and a whole lot that exceeded $1k

Thanks for the links and updates gentlemen.

I had to cancel at the last minute and from the pics, it looks like I missed a heck of an auction. It's all for charity so congratulations to everyone.

For anyone at the show, were all the pieces 20" x 30" poster board?

There are several pieces where the winning bids looked like bargains.

Cheers!

N.

Great thing on the prices though, since these Heroes auctions are for charity.

I thought auction profits went back to the con. As part of their "bring in writers and artists fund" for the next show.

Unless they have changed it.

And I agree, some of those prices are just krazy.

Thanks for the links and updates gentlemen.

I had to cancel at the last minute and from the pics, it looks like I missed a heck of an auction. It's all for charity so congratulations to everyone.

For anyone at the show, were all the pieces 20" x 30" poster board?

There are several pieces where the winning bids looked like bargains.

Cheers!

N.

The paintings created at the show (Canete, Brooks, Hughes, Chang, Cambell, Stelfreeze) were mostly on the large art board, but there were pieces from 8x10 up to 24x36.

PS, the Stelfreeze was put up very early in the auction before all the other big pieces and went of for a steal.

Thanks Chris.

Aside from the Stelfreeze, I would add Bolland, Nauck (look at all the characters and detail in that DPS) as bargains off the top of my head.

The only issue with buying an oversized piece is packing and shipping it back home. Unless you drove, I suspect you would have to buy several sheets of 30" x 40" foamcore and ship via ground transportation. I remember having to do that at SDCC many moons ago and it took awhile to find an art store.

Cheers!

N.

Thanks Chris.

Aside from the Stelfreeze, I would add Bolland, Nauck (look at all the characters and detail in that DPS) as bargains off the top of my head.

The only issue with buying an oversized piece is packing and shipping it back home. Unless you drove, I suspect you would have to buy several sheets of 30" x 40" foamcore and ship via ground transportation. I remember having to do that at SDCC many moons ago and it took awhile to find an art store.

Cheers!

N.

I agree, all those pieces were great. Tony Harris also put in a wonderful DPS that I missed when I called my kids to say goodnight. I can't remember the exact sales price but it should have gone for a ton more.

The Bolland sales price suffered from a HUGE room (500++ people, over 350 bidder cards) that was not brightly lit and it was hard to folks to actually see how great the Bolland was up close. I have some pics I will post shortly.

Great thing on the prices though, since these Heroes auctions are for charity.

I thought auction profits went back to the con. As part of their "bring in writers and artists fund" for the next show.

Unless they have changed it.

And I agree, some of those prices are just krazy.

Hi, Mike. That's a really good question and I also thought the 'charity' was actually a pooled fund to bring in the artists. Wondering if any of the winners received a donation slip? (shrug)

You guys are right. Used to be that the proceeds went towards a number of different charities. I think the longest running one was the Firefighters one. But I found this on their site...

"In recent years, the rising costs of organizing an independently owned, comics-centric show like ours have forced us to stop donating the proceeds of our annual Art Auction to charity; using it instead to help defray the massive hospitality costs of putting together the kind of guest list we've become famous for. We still do plenty to help promote and raise funds for our favorite charities, including the CBLDF and The Hero Initiative!"

So there you go. The artists contribute the art so the con can keep going and they can keep coming back.

-e.

You guys are right. Used to be that the proceeds went towards a number of different charities. I think the longest running one was the Firefighters one. But I found this on their site...

"In recent years, the rising costs of organizing an independently owned, comics-centric show like ours have forced us to stop donating the proceeds of our annual Art Auction to charity; using it instead to help defray the massive hospitality costs of putting together the kind of guest list we've become famous for. We still do plenty to help promote and raise funds for our favorite charities, including the CBLDF and The Hero Initiative!"

So there you go. The artists contribute the art so the con can keep going and they can keep coming back.

-e.

And I think it helps keep the cost of tickets to a minimum. $30 for a three day pass? I don't know of another major convention with this type of guest list that does that.

-e.

And I think it helps keep the cost of tickets to a minimum. $30 for a three day pass? I don't know of another major convention with this type of guest list that does that.

I agree, the guest list is fantastic, and the city is a treasure! I suppose the one drawback of the 'charity' auction is some of the artists spend a significant amount of time working on their pieces for the auction, reducing the amount of time available to sketch/work on commission.

So, as great as it is to have such a wonderful guest list, and awesome art to view/bid on, you may be out of luck if you are # 6 or 7 on some artists' list. In this regard, it doesn't matter how great the guest list is...the net result is the auction pieces take away from the attendee's opportunity to get a sketch. Just sayin'. :tonofbricks:

Most attendees aren't there for sketches. Neither are the artists in most cases. Heck, from what I recall, most of the Con sketching done was to help the artist finance the appearance there anyway. Seems like they're just doing it another way here. Plus helping to keep prices down and attendees in the doors.

I think it's awesome that local kids that might want to go to such a show are far more likely to get parents to bring 'em at $30 for a 3-day show. Wish more shows were like that. Heroes is what most of the massively bloated modern Cons used to be.

-e.