• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1/Detective #27 Cover Change?

16 posts in this topic

A post by jbcomics in the Centaur thread got me thinking. What if something like this:

funnypages6.jpg

was the cover for Action #1 or Detective #27? How would that close the price gap between the first appearances and Action #7 or Detective #29?

It would, without question.

How much so, I'm not certain. But there would be less desire if the 1st appearences were hidden under covers like these as opposed to the early Action and Detective covers.

I can look past the cover of MPFW #1 which to me, is undervalued in some respects. But it would be hard to get past that cover. If money were not an object, it wouldn't take long for me to rip that cover off and enjoy my fresh coverless copy of Action Comics #1.

Good thing that wasn't the case. It would likely have affected the market somewhat for those first issues. Pep #22 doesn't have Archie on the cover and although Archie's status in the collecting world is not the same as Superman or Batman, it very likely affects the value.

I have a copy of Pep #22 now but for years I had no interest in finding one. The first story had been reprinted and the cover had nothing special about it to indicate that Archie began. The rarity and desire finally increased my interest but I would have really been searching more diligently had the cover featured him.

At least Pep #22 had a great WW2 cover. That Funny Pages cover is just plain bad.

Real bad. Who in their right mind would ever think that would appeal to any boy over the age of four.

I certainly think that having the Submariner on the Cover of MPFW would have helped it value as of todays pricing. Since it wasnt an actual newstand comicbook that my have somewhat hurt it too but is what created its rarity.

Have you ever seen the prototype cover that was never issued for Marvel Mystery # 2? The original cover art for it is in the 1991 Sothebys Catolog. It is a full color splash of the Submariner jumping right out at you.

Now that is a cover that would have made MPFW the mega star it deserves to be right up there with the top ten books[value wise speaking]

Yup. I've seen the cover. Too mad Goodman didn't push Subby as hard as he did the Angel.

Every time I think of the ultimate Subby cover I think of the prototype art for Marvel Mystery # 2 that was never issued.

As for what was actually distributed I like MM#9 as my favorite Subby cover.Just my opinion.Im a New York guy so you can understand my preference for that cover.

MPFW #1 would be a 6 figure book as well if Subby was on the cover.

(thumbs u

9c914b2e.jpg

I agree. What about Detective #29 though. Would it have a chance of being more valuable than #27 if #27 had a real crappy cover, making #29 the first Batman cover?

Every time I think of the ultimate Subby cover I think of the prototype art for Marvel Mystery # 2 that was never issued.

As for what was actually distributed I like MM#9 as my favorite Subby cover.Just my opinion.Im a New York guy so you can understand my preference for that cover.

Absolutely, one of the finest Timely/GA covers period. (thumbs u Splash page is pretty neat too.

A look at More Fun #101 compared to Superboy #1 and the rarer Tec #28 compared to #27 and #29, 31 and 33 makes it clear that there is a tremendous interest put on the covers. (Regardless I think Tec #27 and Action 1 would have remained the most valuable of the runs.)