• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Novel are you reading right now?

138 posts in this topic

Just finished:

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. another Pulitzer winner and chock full of Pop Culture references. Highly recommended.

and The Maestro's latest work. Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King.

Big ups! (thumbs u

Somebody tell me about the Dresden Files. I hear alot of good things, but no knowing about it.

Dresden Files... 1st you need to start at the beginning lol... or you'll miss stuff... they all build on one another... i'm not really a fantasy book reader... but these books were great... sucked me right in and kept me looking for more... basic premise... he's a Wizard in Chicago and assists the police in solving non-typical (supernatural, ect) cases... i have read the 12 books (or is it 13 hm ) that are out now... and have been through the series multiple times.... have just really enjoyed them... hope this helps~ jesse

I've just finished The Red Notebook by Paul Auster. It is a collection of short stories, prefaces of other books, interviews and essays. I'm a huge Paul Auster fan and I liked it, but it's not like any other of his books. You can know better the man himself if you're a fan.

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont (2006)

About a third of the way in. So far a reasonably engaging fiction, featuring real world pulp writers like Walter Gibson, Lester Dent and L. Ron Hubbard in a neo-pulp adventure. Not sure where it is heading exactly, and while it's no Kavalier and Clay, it's probably of interest to any pulp fans out there.

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont (2006)

About a third of the way in. So far a reasonably engaging fiction, featuring real world pulp writers like Walter Gibson, Lester Dent and L. Ron Hubbard in a neo-pulp adventure. Not sure where it is heading exactly, and while it's no Kavalier and Clay, it's probably of interest to any pulp fans out there.

Could never get past the first chapter involving Lovecraft. The writing in that chapter was wretched and I dropped the book altogether.

Started Murder on the Eiffel Tower by Claude Izner last night. Very engaging so far.

Just finishing up 'Dark Awakenings' by Matt Cardin. I've read a lot of horror over the years and it's always a treat (actually, it's a rare occurrence) to run across an author that speaks to me in that special way that makes me want to read the book all in one setting. The last time it happened was three or four years ago when I discovered Thomas Ligotti, this time Matt Cardin did it. It's unfortunate (for me) that he's only got the one book, but it's a good one.

I guess the only drawback to the book is that only a little over half of it is actually comprised of stories. The other half consists of some non-fiction essays about the genre and its inspirations. It's very interesting and compelling stuff, but I really could have used another dozen or so of his fiction pieces. Hopefully he'll write plenty more before all is said and done.

Highly recommended for fans of Lovecraft and Ligotti and/or scholars of the genre.

113121.jpg.44c6496d818b443d29def720b5cbd4d8.jpg

I've been on a reading tear of late. Recently read:

Fiction:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson

The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. D ick

Non-Fiction:

The Inverted Jenny: Money, Mystery, Mania - George Amick

My Word is My Bond: A Memoir - Roger Moore

Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures - Cynthia Saltzman

My Name is Charles Saatchi and I Am an Artoholic - Charles Saatchi

Endgame: The End of the Debt Supercycle and How It Changes Everything - John Mauldin and Jonathan Tepper

The Big Secret for the Small Investor - Joel Greenblatt

The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

Flat Out, Flat Broke: Formula 1 the Hard Way - Perry McCarthy