• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman prior to Action Comics #1?

26 posts in this topic

though Siegel and Shuster did try to get numerous syndicates to publish a Superman strip prior to Action #1, as previously noted, this item is from teh time when McClure was offering the strip in 1939, by which time Superman was of course already rolling along and clearly the seller of the item did not do proper research to determine the correct publication and use of this item.

It is also a matter of debate if the McClure strips were the ones drawn before or after Action #1. I believe they were done after action #1. Also, unlike the Superman comic art of the time, Shuster did these by himself as a successful newspaper strip was much more flagship in people's minds than comic books were which is why teh art looks more like the early Supes as that was also Shuster and almost immediately there was a studio of artists inking, pencilling, filling in and you name it

363276889_tp.jpg

cover swipe to Action 7, or Action 7 is swiped from this.

Action 7 cover was almost certainly created initially either as alternate cover to Action 1 or the proposed cover to Action 2 (image is pulled right from cliffhanger at end of Action 1)

it is not a comic

it is a promotional item sent out to newspapers exhibiting the first 20 or so strips (is there an indication in his ebay listing?). It would never have been sold. It would have been published in only as many they needed. but depending on how many editors they would have been sent to that could be thousands and I would bet that you could most likely find them in archives that have been donated newspaper files by publishers.

I would not price it at anything spectacular as it is more of a curiosity than it is of any historical importance just like my Superman sunday page collection from 1939-1948 not worth a whole lot of money