• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paypal question..

95 posts in this topic

Seriously, people, what's wrong with some of you today?

"It's ok to violate the rules, as long as no one knows or finds out about it."

Seriously....?

Regardless of why they do it, or how they do it, all of which are meaningful discussions, the bottom line is, it's their rule.

If you, as a buyer, want to risk someone walking off with your money and sending nothing in return...feel free! But you're still violating Paypal's rules.

But that's ok, because it's just a mean, nasty ol' corporation, right...?

since it's not for goods/services, there is absolutely no way to challenge the payment if there's a problem.

This is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Basically, anytime you use the paypal send money option you are placing your full trust in the person you are sending money to (unless you are using your own CC, which requires the fees anyway)

You are correct, I misread your post.

No ,it is not. There is a world of difference between offering cash discounts and tacking on a surcharge for using a credit card. In NY, if not everywhere, a credit card tack-on fee is illegal.

One is an accepted businesss practice, the other is an illegal fee. Not quite the same thing.

There is no difference.

I offer a book at $200, give a 3% "discount":

Paypal personal user pays $194, regular user pays $200.

I offer a book at $194, with a 3% surcharge:

Paypal personal user pays $194, regular user pays ~$200.

Exact same result. Playing with words doesn't change that.

But you're starting with two differently priced books, so if anything you've proved the point that it's exactly the opposite.

doh!

The prices are the same in each scenario: $194 for Paypal personal users and $200 for regular users, they are just couched in different language.

This is really not that hard.

Why does it matter if the price is the same. Discounting for cash is legal, adding a surcharge for a credit card purchase is illegal in both NY and Maine, the two states CL operates out of.

No ,it is not. There is a world of difference between offering cash discounts and tacking on a surcharge for using a credit card. In NY, if not everywhere, a credit card tack-on fee is illegal.

One is an accepted businesss practice, the other is an illegal fee. Not quite the same thing.

There is no difference.

I offer a book at $200, give a 3% "discount":

Paypal personal user pays $194, regular user pays $200.

I offer a book at $194, with a 3% surcharge:

Paypal personal user pays $194, regular user pays ~$200.

Exact same result. Playing with words doesn't change that.

But you're starting with two differently priced books, so if anything you've proved the point that it's exactly the opposite.

doh!

The prices are the same in each scenario: $194 for Paypal personal users and $200 for regular users, they are just couched in different language.

This is really not that hard.

Why does it matter if the price is the same. Discounting for cash is legal, adding a surcharge for a credit card purchase is illegal in both NY and Maine, the two states CL operates out of.

We're not talking about the legal aspects, at least I wasn't when I brought this issue up. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of bashing Clink for effectively

doing the same thing as many Board sellers are now doing.

What the board members are offering is an accepted business practice. What CL ius doing is illegal. It's the difference between avoiding taxes and evading them. One is legal and accepted, one is illegal and punishible.

What the board members are offering is an accepted business practice. What CL ius doing is illegal. It's the difference between avoiding taxes and evading them. One is legal and accepted, one is illegal and punishible.

I repeat, I don't care about the legality. In both cases, if you pay with CC you pay more. As October so eloquently stated earlier, I give up.

Seriously....?

Regardless of why they do it, or how they do it, all of which are meaningful discussions, the bottom line is, it's their rule.

If you, as a buyer, want to risk someone walking off with your money and sending nothing in return...feel free! But you're still violating Paypal's rules.

if it doesnt violate a persons rights then i say yes. Smoking pot is against the law and i do it every night at my house and it hurts no one....maybe i shouldnt do that either...

or maybe i could care less about paypals rules..

I don't want to add more fuel here, just a short point on the surcharge/discount subject.

That is the concept of inclusive versus exclusive charges, look that up for taxes. It's the same concept, there is a goal and the base price is set to result in a desired final net price.

Laws were written by man, not God. None of them are absolute, right forever etc, they can be changed. Just because a law exists for the surcharge you mention in NY, that does not make it forever wrong, or wrong everywhere. Simply recognize that some laws are good, and some are bad.

I don't like the CLINK CC surcharge, or the PayPal fees. They are both too high, and so are CC fees. Electronic banking is efficient enough that all of those fees should be virtually nothing, like say .3%. I try to obey laws, but I don't hesitate to point out bad laws.

Seriously....?

if it doesnt violate a persons rights then i say yes. Smoking pot is against the law and i do it every night at my house and it hurts no one....maybe i shouldnt do that either...

Would you mind sharing your eBay user id....?

Thanks!

if it doesnt violate a persons rights then i say yes. Smoking pot is against the law and i do it every night at my house and it hurts no one

This doesn't surprise me.

And your brain cells might disagree....

....maybe i shouldnt do that either...

Well, you can't even get basic grammar correct, so following rules probably is pretty hard for you.

(thumbs u

Seriously....?

Sorry, but declaring that you smoke pot on a public Internet site is not a wise thing to do. But you probably don't care about that either.

I call it a loophole.

You're not suppose to do it, but you can.

I do it all the time. You're not suppose to exchange a DVD movie you have had for 2 years at wal-mart. But I sure as hell do, if the DVD does not work.

Just one example of a loophole. (Besides, my mess is "brand new" looking, I know they aint that retarded if the DVD looks like it's been threw hell and back.)

Just use brains. Want to use PP Personal? Have some brains on wether you 100% should or not.

I'd use PP Personal, if I was selling or buying, if I knew the person really well. But it would not be my first choice.

Also, I doubt cops crawl a comic book forum looking for a pot smoker. They do have bigger fish to fry. If not, then they need better things to do.

Also, I doubt cops crawl a comic book forum looking for a pot smoker. They do have bigger fish to fry. If not, then they need better things to do.

I doubt they do. However, if you've ever bought a comic from someone on here that you later had a disagreement with, they probably have your mailing address from the PM info you sent them. While it may not be enough for a warrant, if someone pointed the cops in the buyer's locale to a thread where the buyer admitted to smoking pot 'every night', they for damn sure would at least keep an eye on that buyer's house, and pull them over at every opportunity with a drug-sniffing dog in tow.

Just like those foolish high school kids who keep getting busted for posting pictures of the grow rooms stashed in their closets on MySpace/Facebook, most people don't realize that bragging about doing illegal stuff online will always, always bite them in their rears. The internet is not as anonymous as people think.

True, but it only goes to show, you can't trust just any one either(Which is why PP Personal it to not be used with "just anyone"). Especially if they turn ya in due to a disagreement, now I could see if the pot smoker the dude over...then yeah, turning that person in would make a lot of sense.

But I do see what you mean.

True, but it only goes to show, you can't trust just any one either

That's my point. The difference is, if you trust someone with a private PP personal, and they screw you over, well, you're out a few hundred (thousand?) dollars, but your CC company will probably cover you. Bragging about doing illegal drugs where anyone can read it is a horse of another color. Internet stalkers are crazy people, and with even the slightest hint of your personal info, they can tail you across any number of forums. Anger a guy at halorocks.com, where you listed your full name in your bio? Be prepared to have them find you everywhere else.

It's even easier to find people like me, who have been using the same username since '99 or so. I cut my teeth on Musashi's Cheesy Home Page, back in 1998 or so, with the 'Moron Attack!" flame war. I'm proud to say that even back in the wild west days of the internet, I still never admitted to imbibing anything other than liquor.

True, true. Also, don't forget, places like http://www.zabbasearch.com

Cool place to get (if you're lucky, but for most parts it might be up to date, might) anyones info, and possibly their phone number.

All ya need is a name, and perhaps their state.

(I know this place because I had a creepy stalker who lives in Mi. Found me and another dude, even tho he was creepy he and I are friends. For the most part still just internet friends, but I also know where he lives)

And I as well use the same username. I have like 100-300 google searches lol

It's a violation of Paypal's terms to use Personal payment to purchase goods and services. The Personal payment option is intended for users to pay bills, loans, or other personal debts.

It's a very generous program, and one of the very few good things eBay/Paypal has come up with in the last few years.

Abusing the program by using it for the purchase of goods...even from people we know...will eventually result in it being removed.

Also...since it's not for goods/services, there is absolutely no way to challenge the payment if there's a problem.

CGC mods have recognized all this, and banned it. Sellers are NOT to ask for personal payment as a payment option.

So please...don't ruin it for the rest of us by using personal payment to purchase goods/services.

(thumbs u

To be specific, the "rules" state that the seller is not allowed to LIST the option of using personal Paypal in a post.

That's what "Sellers are NOT to ask for personal payment as a payment option" means, does it not... ?

Frankly, there is no way to enforce it. If a seller is dictating that he will only use this paypal method for selling, then the buyer has the right to tell the seller where to go. If the buyer and seller mutually agree to use this method, that's their business. The buyer should understand that he would not be able to get his money back should the deal go south.

So, you're advocating ignoring Paypal's terms and using their service in full violation of their rules, simply because you and the buyer/seller "agree" to it...?

hm

Interesting.

Paypal's rules cannot be enforced here, so that point is moot.

Basically the spirit of the rules on this Board state that the seller cannot demand the buyer to use Personal Paypal as part of the transaction. This blanket rule also openly prevents the seller from offering a discount for using Personal Paypal.

My point is that how the seller and buyer choose the terms of payment is their business...and the Board rule of not being able to LIST Personal Paypal as payment option in a sales thread respects that. If a seller want to offer a discount for PP, then its up to the buyer to determine if they want to accept the risk.

if it doesnt violate a persons rights then i say yes. Smoking pot is against the law and i do it every night at my house and it hurts no one

Well, you can't even get basic grammar correct, so following rules probably is pretty hard for you.

(thumbs u

oh the grammar police is out...usually a tactic resorted to when one has nothing clever to say..

and dont mean to bust your bubble but smoking pot does not kill brain cells.

Myth: Marijuana Kills Brain Cells. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

Fact: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study.

(thumbs u

oh the grammar police is out...usually a tactic resorted to when one has nothing clever to say..

and dont mean to bust your bubble but smoking pot does not kill brain cells.

Myth: Marijuana Kills Brain Cells. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

Fact: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study.

Hmm..a pot apologist. Pot is bad for you dude. Period.