• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barks auctions on heritage

52 posts in this topic

I don't know much about Barks' paintings vs. pencil/ink work. Out of this set of Barks paintings, which are considered to be great works and why? And what constitutes sub-standard work? I have no vested interest, but I'm curious about what other people see in an artist's work.

out of this set IMO luck of the north is by far the best. nice composition, nice execution, doesn't look like a velvet oil. (To boot its based on an early US cover and has beautiful colors).

I think its much like the Elvgrens where one can go for 50k and one 250k and its sometimes hard to pin down why. Just comes down to if people like a particular piece and if it hits that collectors buttons. I've tried to describe for you the buttons I'd be looking to have hit were it my money.

but just compare luck of the north, here http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7023&LotIdNo=29021

to far out safari, below. which would you rather have on your wall? for me it would be no contest.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7023&LotIdNo=29042

Now much like the elvgrens its a little difficult to say which one will go for the most, a particular collector may want a money bin piece, and value subject matter above execution, and there are a couple in this lot. But artistically I think one has to say LOTN is the best one.

I like ones that are simple, expressive, and true to the character:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7023&LotIdNo=29043

But unfortunately these are often the smallest in size.

The ones that have good subject matter, size, and above average execution tend to do well monetarily. Money bins, money lakes, reinterpretations of famous covers or scenes from favorite stories.

Thanks for the interesting analysis. After looking at the Barks paintings in this auction, I agree that Luck of The North and The Expert are likely the best of the bunch.

The Dutchman painting that you cited looks great from a distance, but up close doesn't appear that be that well rendered. Do the other Dutchman's have better fine detail?

my pleasure. I love talking about barks.

Good point about dutchman, the supersize pic doesn't look too good. Not sure what to think of that.

Not really sure what the other dutchmans are like...

I will probably put in a bid, but I expect to be beat by your bid ;) - ie lower than lowball lol I just don't have any spare jack to throw around with the mrs. being preggers and our income about to be reduced by 40% :eek:

Daddy Dan - it has a certain ring. Congratulations! :applause:

I don't know much about Barks' paintings vs. pencil/ink work. Out of this set of Barks paintings, which are considered to be great works and why? And what constitutes sub-standard work? I have no vested interest, but I'm curious about what other people see in an artist's work.

out of this set IMO luck of the north is by far the best. nice composition, nice execution, doesn't look like a velvet oil. (To boot its based on an early US cover and has beautiful colors).

I think its much like the Elvgrens where one can go for 50k and one 250k and its sometimes hard to pin down why. Just comes down to if people like a particular piece and if it hits that collectors buttons. I've tried to describe for you the buttons I'd be looking to have hit were it my money.

but just compare luck of the north, here http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7023&LotIdNo=29021

to far out safari, below. which would you rather have on your wall? for me it would be no contest.

Now much like the elvgrens its a little difficult to say which one will go for the most, a particular collector may want a money bin piece, and value subject matter above execution, and there are a couple in this lot. But artistically I think one has to say LOTN is the best one.

It's funny you're comparing these 2 - these are 2 of my favorites Barks paintings. I think I'd agree that Luck of the North is better, but they're very close.

I will probably put in a bid, but I expect to be beat by your bid ;) - ie lower than lowball lol I just don't have any spare jack to throw around with the mrs. being preggers and our income about to be reduced by 40% :eek:

Daddy Dan - it has a certain ring. Congratulations! :applause:

It's funny you're comparing these 2 - these are 2 of my favorites Barks paintings. I think I'd agree that Luck of the North is better, but they're very close.

whoops, sorry brah :):foryou: Didn't mean to knock on your favorite, its just not mine.

As expected the larger the painting, in many cases, the more it went for.

Naturally any vault paintings were up there.

But overall price weakness has finally shown itself. It just took someone selling a few paintings

to demonstrate this fact. As always, the cream floats to the top.

I will review these results a bit closer but just wanted to bump the thread to remind others who

posted they can now see the results.

Compred to the pieces in this discussion, what's the general market and collector's opinions on pieces like what just was offered in the Heritage auction on 08/06? I was tempted to bid on the "Klondike Kate" piece which went for about $2,000 or so, but was assuming it would go for higher, so ignored it when it was up an now kinda regret not picking it up, mind you, not being able to afford a Bark's piece at the $50k mark, let alone the $5k mark, but still wanting a decent piece by Carl Barks for my collection. Did I miss out on a good opportunity? I do have a non-Duck piece by Carl Barks, it's a portrait of a blonde girl entitled I think "Sweeden" and it's an oil painting that's small.

But overall price weakness has finally shown itself. It just took someone selling a few paintings

I will review these results a bit closer but just wanted to bump the thread to remind others who

I wasn't sure any Barks painting would sell for 6 figures so the fact that a few did was a surprise.

I didn't think the prices were terrible either? the expert was TINY yet still pulled 40k (shrug).

interesting to compare the price of a barks oil to the frazetta oil which ended around the same price as say, luck of the north

I wasn't sure any Barks painting would sell for 6 figures so the fact that a few did was a surprise.

I think only one broke 6 figures, "An Embarrassment of Riches", with several going in the $80Ks.

I was really surprised that the paintings went as high as they did. I thought we were going to see Gary Keller types of drop offs across the board.

I think only one broke 6 figures, "An Embarrassment of Riches", with several going in the $80Ks.

I was really surprised that the paintings went as high as they did. I thought we were going to see Gary Keller types of drop offs across the board.

You're correct. There were 3 in the 80s but only one in 6 figures. http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?D=barks&Ntt=barks&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchall&y=14&N=52+790+231+4294957213&Nty=1&x=14&Ns=Price|1

Talking with some OA guys before the auction, I know some had expected even worse than Gary Keller-like drop-offs, but they were still pretty steep nonetheless. Clearly the market has deflated quite a bit from a few years ago.

I wish that prices had come down even more than they did, as I was hoping to snag "An Embarrassment of Riches" in the low $100Ks (I didn't pursue it further after getting outbid at that level, though). :(

Compred to the pieces in this discussion, what's the general market and collector's opinions on pieces like what just was offered in the Heritage auction on 08/06? I was tempted to bid on the "Klondike Kate" piece which went for about $2,000 or so, but was assuming it would go for higher, so ignored it when it was up an now kinda regret not picking it up, mind you, not being able to afford a Bark's piece at the $50k mark, let alone the $5k mark, but still wanting a decent piece by Carl Barks for my collection. Did I miss out on a good opportunity? I do have a non-Duck piece by Carl Barks, it's a portrait of a blonde girl entitled I think "Sweeden" and it's an oil painting that's small.

"Klondike Kate and Troupe" sold for 4,600 in 2004. So with a hammer price of 2,271 it saw more

then a 50% price drop. It sounds like the above poster might have known that but here is the info

for the rest of us.

"here are?"

do you mean there are more upcoming?

The Heritage write-up said that Kerby Confer had 40 Barks oils and at least 10 non-oils, so I think it's a safe bet that more are coming down the pike.