• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuff in the Washington-Baltimore area...

18 posts in this topic

I'm going to have a day to kill in the DC area next weekend. I'm looking for good comic shops (with a nice selection of GA and SA), quality used bookstores, and antique stores/malls that might have old tin toys. Any suggestions? :hi:

All of my selections are going to be in Baltimore, for obvious reasons. lol

-Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in Reisterstown, next to Bill Bateman's. Great selection of GA-Modern books.

-Alternate Worlds in Cockeysville, my LCS! Great selection of SA-Modern, with some pretty awesome toys and such thrown in.

-Ukazoo Used Books in Towson. Pretty decent book store with great prices.

-Westminster Antique Mall. About 30-40 minutes outside of Baltimore. I've found a lot of neat things here.

-Hampden Junque. Lots of junk, lots of *neat* junk. http://www.hampdenjunque.com/

-Avenue Antiques in Hampden. Three levels of everything you can imagine. http://www.avenueantiques.com/

-Atomic Books/Atomic Pop in Hampden, off of Falls Road. Lots of designer toys and indy comics. Friendly staff, too!

You could always tag along with my boyfriend and I, we generally go "junking" every weekend. Meaning we visit comic shops/antique stores all over. :headbang:

I'm going to have a day to kill in the DC area next weekend. I'm looking for good comic shops (with a nice selection of GA and SA), quality used bookstores, and antique stores/malls that might have old tin toys. Any suggestions? :hi:

It makes a HUGE difference where you will be. If by the DC-area you mean Virginia you aren't going to Baltimore. Traffic here is stunningly brutal. Give me a little more parameters. (thumbs u

All of my selections are going to be in Baltimore, for obvious reasons. lol

-Avenue Antiques in Hampden. Three levels of everything you can imagine. http://www.avenueantiques.com/

Woodwards, right next door, sometimes has older toys. Very hit and miss.

I second Laurens Baltimore list!

Currently they have an Atari (forget which one) still in the box, as well as some BA comics! (I was there yesterday, you see lol)

I'd skip DC entirely.

There's nothing in the District proper with any back issues, let alone pre-1980. Closest to the DC is probably Big Planet in Bethesda, and by _any_ I mean they usually carry two dozen 60s-70s back issues total. Only good ones last time I went were a fine Silver Surfer # 4 and a VG/Fine looking Green Lantern 76; both were over-priced.

There's a quaint little shop on King Street in Alexandria, VA. which is a throwback to the 70s--in that he's got boxes and boxes of back issue in a closet's worth of space. You might find a Silver Age gem or two in there (ASM, Daredevil in the teens), but it's more impressive for how cramped the store is, and that he smokes. Still, it's a great street for antiquing/touristing with some amazing restaurants. I recommend Il Porto for a good Italian dinner, but Alexandria is a hike from DC--if you're on the Maryland side, forget it.

It makes a HUGE difference where you will be. If by the DC-area you mean Virginia you aren't going to Baltimore. Traffic here is stunningly brutal. Give me a little more parameters. (thumbs u

I know I'm on the Maryland side, since I'm flying in to B-More. I lived there when I was a kid, so I'm not a complete stranger, and I'm somewhat familiar with the Metro in DC, but I imagine I'll have a car.

I know I'm on the Maryland side, since I'm flying in to B-More. I lived there when I was a kid, so I'm not a complete stranger, and I'm somewhat familiar with the Metro in DC, but I imagine I'll have a car.

The only store with any selection of GA/SA is Cards, Comics and Collectibles in Reisterstown, MD, which is northwest of Baltimore, run by Marc Nathan, the promoter of the Baltimore Comicon.

Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA, run by Jeff Weaver, is pretty good as well - call ahead and Jeff will bring his convention stock.

The DC area is a wasteland for back issue books. You should just come to my and Zaid's houses.

Hey lauren, which stores would be the best to go to for a quick stop when you have some time to kill in between classes at UMBC. You happen to know which ones are the closest? Ill be transferring to UMBC this fall :)

Oh I used to hang around that area all the time! I went to CCBC back in the day. About 15 minutes away from UMBC in Catonsville, there is a shop called Cosmic Comix & Toys. They have a crazy selection of toys, and a pretty good selection of SA-Modern comics as well. If you ask, they will give you a nifty 10% off card that you can use every time you come in. The people that work there are really nice, too.

The only store with any selection of GA/SA is Cards, Comics and Collectibles in Reisterstown, MD, which is northwest of Baltimore, run by Marc Nathan, the promoter of the Baltimore Comicon.

Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA, run by Jeff Weaver, is pretty good as well - call ahead and Jeff will bring his convention stock.

The DC area is a wasteland for back issue books. You should just come to my and Zaid's houses.

Northern Virginia has a few nice shops.

hm

There used to be a rinky-dink shop in Arbutus just outside of UMBC campus. You could probably walk there (at that time). But, that was 16 years ago (gawd, I got old quick). Doubt it's still there. And they didn't have much but new stuff (I bought Batman/Spawn there lol).

And there used to be another store fairly close to campus, but I think it may have been a Geppi store, so that's probably gone too.

Up in that area, Marc's Store is the best. But, too far to go to in between classes. Also, Comics to Astonish is about 15-20 minutes from there. He has a decnt selection of back issues (at least he does at the local shows). Nothing ultra-HG, but plenty of VF-ish books.

There used to be a rinky-dink shop in Arbutus just outside of UMBC campus. You could probably walk there (at that time). But, that was 16 years ago (gawd, I got old quick). Doubt it's still there. And they didn't have much but new stuff (I bought Batman/Spawn there lol).

And there used to be another store fairly close to campus, but I think it may have been a Geppi store, so that's probably gone too.

Up in that area, Marc's Store is the best. But, too far to go to in between classes. Also, Comics to Astonish is about 15-20 minutes from there. He has a decnt selection of back issues (at least he does at the local shows). Nothing ultra-HG, but plenty of VF-ish books.

The store in Arbutus is still there, next to the Lucky's right? Drove by there last week!

And yea, the other store was a Geppi store, and has since closed.