• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bought My First CGC Book

23 posts in this topic

After receiving a few over graded comics on eBay, I decided to give buying a CGC graded book a try. I bought a copy of Marvel Team Up number 66 in 9.6 condition with white pages. I paid $15.50 for it, which is a bit high but I wanted it since I have fond memories of it. (I also have to admit that I find the CGC container to be desirable.)

Congrats and welcome to the board. I was watching this auction just to see what it would end at since the cover had major miswrap. You didn't do bad since grading fees alone are more than what your winning bid amount was. This is a list of prices I have personally recorded for this particular book:

66 9.6 $36.50 Feb-03

66 9.6 $15.50 Feb-04 Off-center

66 9.4 $29.88 Oct-03

66 9.4 $29.88 Dec-03

Auction being discussed

I think that price is very good. Of course it's over guide, but at least you got what you paid for. I don't mind paying a little extra to know that I'm getting an accurately graded book. thumbsup2.gif

Which makes me wonder.. why do people use CGC to slab moderns if they normally dont even get slabbing costs back after and Ebay sale

Let alone the shipping cost both ways .

.Whats the lowest cost it takes to slab a modern by CGC? If your a dealer do you get bulk submission rates? lower then the the current $30 a book?

I can see slabbing if you intend to keep it for a personal collection .,

but to slab and resell, or just slabb and sell?

Whats the point?

Now of course as a buyer I always look for moderns that come already slabbed.

Never paid that much over guide yet, and its like getting the grading for free.You get a graded HG modern in a slab for barely cost of the HG comic itself.

Most times less then guide, least thats my experience lately with them.

You did fine on your buy, cant go wrong with 9.6 for $15

I think he's knocking on the seller more for possibly slabbing such a low dollar book? confused-smiley-013.gif However i'm a weirdo too I guess, but I slab MTU's because I love the title. Then again the majority of them are for my personal collection. sumo.gif

Let's try not to ruin someone's purchase that they're obviously proud of. We all work on different budgets.

27_laughing.gif, wasnt a knock on anybody!

I am on a severe budget myself.

Nothing but happy for him, I think he got a deal,

Was just curious as to CGC rates on Moderns, and thought it was weird to resell them if you cant get your slabbing/shipping costs back.

No worries..

Zeman

I think the lowest Modern rate would be $12 a book. If you submit 10 books you get them at $15 a book, then with the 20% discount. So in theory, depending on the cost of the book, you would break even or make money at $15.

I started the bid on it at $15.00, but didn't want to pay more than that because of the miswrap.

Saw that. Sorry for sniping you on the #100 foreheadslap.gif I place snipes on my software the day I am interested so I didn't see you bidding

Also, it may not be a question of making money. The seller may have had this book for his personal collection, then upgraded later. So now he selling his first copy. This is not a book that will appreciate in value in the future more than a few dollars, so why not sell it now and get some money for it.

I started the bid on it at $15.00, but didn't want to pay more than that because of the miswrap.

Saw that. Sorry for sniping you on the #100 foreheadslap.gif I place snipes on my software the day I am interested so I didn't see you bidding

You actually probably saved me some money, these were purely impulse bids.

Also, it may not be a question of making money. The seller may have had this book for his personal collection, then upgraded later. So now he selling his first copy. This is not a book that will appreciate in value in the future more than a few dollars, so why not sell it now and get some money for it.

Zeman nods in understanding now ..

Thnx

Without researching the seller at all, let me offer up another possibility: maybe the seller, if in fact he/she was the submitter of that MTU 66 to CGC, thought it would garner a 9.8 or higher, and therefore was worth the risk.

I am on a severe budget myself.

Nothing but happy for him, I think he got a deal,

Was just curious as to CGC rates on Moderns, and thought it was weird to resell them if you cant get your slabbing/shipping costs back.

Zeman

It's like buying a pack of baseball cards. 9 packs out of 10 are worthless, but you buy them in the hope that an expensive card will be in the package. Same with submitting to CGC. If the book is graded a 9.4, you lose money. If it's a 9.6, you might come out even. But if you get a 9.8 or 9.9, you've hit the jackpot!

Congrats and welcome to the board. I was watching this auction just to see what it would end at since the cover had major miswrap.

I noticed that but I didn't care, since it would not effect my enjoyment of the book. I can live with production errors.

Personally, I find the allure of a high graded comic book that I have fond memories of a hard thing to pass on. For example, there is currently a 1977 comic book that I know of that is worth about 10.00 mint but is available as a 9.8 white page copy for $100.00 (through ComicLink, I think). Now, obviously this is grossly overpriced but my emotional desire for the book in a like new condition is high. I will probably resist this but I am beginning to understand one of the ways CGC makes money for those who make use of it.

I can see slabbing if you intend to keep it for a personal collection .,

but to slab and resell, or just slab and sell? Whats the point?

Out of curiousity, why would you slab a book that you intend to keep, unless you simply wanted it graded and checked for restoration, or simply like the holder? To me, all CGC provides is some assurance that the guy you're buying from online is not over-grading the book that you are buying.