• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you feel about listing comics in ads without grades?

8 posts in this topic

What do u think? I would provide a huge scan (maybe back cover scan too) and describe any interior defects (if any). The reason is that I usually sell myself "short". I'm usually 0.5-1.0 lower than CGC grades in this forum and on my own books. For a person who tracks sales, do comics do better with no grades posted or for vague terms like "High grade"? Most people probably factor in the ebay formula of "downgrading" my grades which clearly works to my disadvantage, but I don't feel entirely comfortable "bumping" up a grade so it could potentially sell for more too.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

What I think you should do is put up huge scans of the front and back cover, clearly describe all of the wear that you see, and state what your opinion of the grade is. You can also say that you tend to grade very strictly (though I don't think this makes much difference to people), and state that the collector should use the information you provided to form his or her own opinion on the grade. If it is a significant book and you've put up huge scans along with detailed descriptions of wear, the buyer will usually be sophisticated enough to come to his or her own conclusion of the grade, regardless of what you think is the grade of the book. Besides, if you think a book is an 8.0 and another buyer thinks (despite your grading opinion) that it's a 9.0 based on the scan and a detailed description of all wear on the comic, then who cares who's right? As long as the buyer knows what he's buying, that's all that really matters.

Just my opinion.

What do u think? I would provide a huge scan (maybe back cover scan too) and describe any interior defects (if any). The reason is that I usually sell myself "short". I'm usually 0.5-1.0 lower than CGC grades in this forum and on my own books. For a person who tracks sales, do comics do better with no grades posted or for vague terms like "High grade"? Most people probably factor in the ebay formula of "downgrading" my grades which clearly works to my disadvantage, but I don't feel entirely comfortable "bumping" up a grade so it could potentially sell for more too.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I think you should give some idea of what you think the grade is... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The old:

"Should rate at least a Fine maybe as high as a FVF" type thing at least.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Bump - I would like to see some more opinions on this - Thanks!

Personally, I would be less likely to bid if there's no stated grade, scan or no. If you're concerned about selling yourself short by undergrading, you can either loosen up or give a range of grades (as mentioned above). That's my $0.02... gossip.gif

Put up large scans and desribe all the defects you can see, that way the buyer can form their own opinion of the grade. You should also give your own 'opinion' of the grade, as IMO not listing a grade will detract bidders.

Personally I don't like books without grades. It makes me feel as if the book may look good but there is a big hidden problem that would be revealed by grade, e.g., the scan looks VF but the centerfold is loose so it's really a VG. Plus, with no assigned grade, you are really limiting yourself as a buyer to go back and complain about the grade. How can I say it was overgraded when it was never graded period?

I like big scans, accurate description of problems and at the least a grade range.

Good luck! smile.gif