• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone Explain why people get Real Amazing Fantasy 15 signed!!!

34 posts in this topic

I don't have any problem with signed books but do it right.

And what is right? Your way? We'll get right on it. ;)

The same way that artists already sign original copies of their art--unobtrusively and out of the way of the art as opposed to blindly signing it anywhere the mood strikes them.

Guest Grails
I don't have any problem with signed books but do it right.

And what is right? Your way? We'll get right on it. ;)

The same way that artists already sign original copies of their art--unobtrusively and out of the way of the art as opposed to blindly signing it anywhere the mood strikes them.

I've requested signatures right in the middle of the book (when the art calls for it) and don't require the signatures to be incognito. This isn't original art. My point is that jgallo stated his opinion and shouldn't be shocked that others have opinions that differ.

I've requested signatures right in the middle of the book (when the art calls for it) and don't require the signatures to be incognito. This isn't original art.

Yes, but I'll never experience the original art, so the copy IS the original to me. Same goes for the other 99.9999% of the people who will view or own any comic. It's the same reason we collectors focus on grade--we want the best-looking copy of the book we can get. If grade and presentation aren't important to you, that's fine by me, but I'm fairly certain you understand that it is to a lot of collectors of vintage books, and to many of those people, they don't want thoughtlessly-placed signatures defacing the copy of the art they own.

Guest Grails
I've requested signatures right in the middle of the book (when the art calls for it) and don't require the signatures to be incognito. This isn't original art.

Yes, but I'll never experience the original art, so the copy IS the original to me. Same goes for the other 99.9999% of the people who will view or own any comic. It's the same reason we collectors focus on grade--we want the best-looking copy of the book we can get. If grade and presentation aren't important to you, that's fine by me, but I'm fairly certain you understand that it is to a lot of collectors of vintage books, and to many of those people, they don't want thoughtlessly-placed signatures defacing the copy of the art they own.

But we're not talking about thoughtlessly placed signatures. Read my first response to the initial comment. There is no right way. Only your way.

But we're not talking about thoughtlessly placed signatures. Read my first response to the initial comment. There is no right way. Only your way.

Oh come on your telling me that having Stan's signature across Spiderman's face is the same as having it next to the image.

PLEASEEEE!! Presentation is everything.

I have no problem with other people's opinion's and for the most part most people have added the reasons why they do want it and I get them.

I also appreciate that some people have enough brains to not destroy a high grade copy of a key book. Yes there may be plenty of AF 15 around but there aren't a lot in high grade.

I respect people's right to do what they want with the things they own it just doesn't make sense to me to take a $5000 get is signed and then think its worth more then $5000. Now if you took a 2 reprint and got it signed to me that adds great value to something that is otherwise worthless.

Jams G

Oh come on your telling me that having Stan's signature across Spiderman's face is the same as having it next to the image.

I have no problem with other people's opinion's and for the most part most people have added the reasons why they do want it and I get them.

I also appreciate that some people have enough brains to not destroy a high grade copy of a key book. Yes there may be plenty of AF 15 around but there aren't a lot in high grade.

I respect people's right to do what they want with the things they own it just doesn't make sense to me to take a $5000 get is signed and then think its worth more then $5000. Now if you took a 2 reprint and got it signed to me that adds great value to something that is otherwise worthless.

Jams G

I agree with you on the signature part, placement is very important and Stan's track record is a little shoddy at best. But I think you need to think through the statement in bold above. A 5K AF15 is a 3.5 and there are TONS of those around. That is actually the sweet spot for SS for this particular book. Well presenting book that is common as dirt. (A 100 on census, and that's just graded copies....)

Not an AF15, but does anyone else remember the JIM 89 that was signed twice by Stan. A boardie had it up for sale. That comics is ruined lol I think a possible way to save it would be for Stan to add dates to the sigs and sign it a third time.

I remember that book. I thought it was awesome! I wanted it...

Guest Grails

Jams G

I never wrote that signing across a characters face was the same as signing next to the image. If someone preferred that, it wouldn't make it wrong.

You're confusing your personal opinion with fact, though, and the market doesn't agree with you.

A reprint signed by Stan Lee isn't worth the cost of getting his signature & the slabbing fees, whereas an AF#15 sees a nice price increase from being a Signature Series copy. You may not like it, but, hey, that's how the market works.

If grade and presentation aren't important to you, that's fine by me, but I'm fairly certain you understand that it is to a lot of collectors of vintage books, and to many of those people, they don't want thoughtlessly-placed signatures defacing the copy of the art they own.

Here's an easy solution to that problem: don't buy SS copies :thumbsup:

Unless you're claiming that Stan Lee is sneaking in & signing your personal copies of AF #15 while you're sleeping? hm