• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone Explain why people get Real Amazing Fantasy 15 signed!!!

34 posts in this topic

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to get a book worth a ton of money signed by anyone. I have seen nice mid grade $5000+++ copies of this book defaced by an ugly Stan Lee Signature. What is the reason for this. The guys seems to sign a lot, there are various nice looking reprints that you could have signed where the signature would add value to the book instead of defacing an already valuable book.

I just don't understand it at all, and yes I understand people can do whatever they want with the stuff they own, but to me it would greatly devalue a somewhat expensive book. I saw a nice 4.0 that I would have bought had it not been signed....

Oh well just had to vent...

James G

to some folks, the monetary value is secondary to the personal or sentimental value that having stan sign their copy means to them...

I know it is hard to believe, but not everyone fully cares what their comics are worth to someone else (to some extent mind you)

I spoke to a collector at sdcc 2 years ago that had a beaut of an AF15 and Spidey 1 that he wanted stan to sign... he told me he had purchased both books in the 70's for like $20 each... to him, having "the man" sign his creation, was worth way more (thumbs u

to some folks, the monetary value is secondary to the personal or sentimental value that having stan sign their copy means to them...

I know it is hard to believe, but not everyone fully cares what their comics are worth to someone else (to some extent mind you)

I spoke to a collector at sdcc 2 years ago that had a beaut of an AF15 and Spidey 1 that he wanted stan to sign... he told me he had purchased both books in the 70's for like $20 each... to him, having "the man" sign his creation, was worth way more (thumbs u

(worship) Hand the man a Coke Zero! Preach on brother!

There is an aura of provence that many collectors who are fans of signatures believe that comes with having a book signed by one of the creators of that character/issue. If it wasn't for sheer nerves of letting my AF 15 out of my possession, I'd have had it signed right away. If I'm able to get to NYCC this year and can somehow manage to get Stan to sign it, you better believe I will!

Totally reasonable - I think there's a big difference between getting a book signed for your personal permanent collection and signed for resale value though.

I consider all my signed books priceless to me and worthless to anyone else. If I didn't meet the creator, witness the sig, etc, it just seems like scribles.

Totally reasonable - I think there's a big difference between getting a book signed for your personal permanent collection and signed for resale value though.

I consider all my signed books priceless to me and worthless to anyone else. If I didn't meet the creator, witness the sig, etc, it just seems like scribles.

You had me up until this point. Problem for me is I can rarely ever go to the shows and get the signatures so I rely heavily on many of the good people of these boards to help me in this department. Doesn't devalue them though to me. lol And depending on what signed books you have, they might not be so worthless.... :devil:

You had me up until this point. Problem for me is I can rarely ever go to the shows and get the signatures so I rely heavily on many of the good people of these boards to help me in this department. Doesn't devalue them though to me. lol And depending on what signed books you have, they might not be so worthless.... :devil:

If I had a key with - say a Ct'ed spine. I'd have Stan sign the sharp side of the spine (to make the stigmatized 'dots' disappear into a :cloud9: sig )

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to get a book worth a ton of money signed by anyone. I have seen nice mid grade $5000+++ copies of this book defaced by an ugly Stan Lee Signature. What is the reason for this. The guys seems to sign a lot, there are various nice looking reprints that you could have signed where the signature would add value to the book instead of defacing an already valuable book.

I just don't understand it at all, and yes I understand people can do whatever they want with the stuff they own, but to me it would greatly devalue a somewhat expensive book. I saw a nice 4.0 that I would have bought had it not been signed....

James G

Seriously, I think the personalization of the book, and the opportunity to meet the 'Man', is worth more the the $5K price tag. Stan is getting on in years and he won't be around much longer so in this day and age of 3rd party authentication, it sure seems like a positive thing to do.

On a side-bar, popular literary works, children's classics such as Peter Pan, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, etc. with inscriptions/signatures by the author sell for several multiples over those that are 'defaced', as you so eloquently stated.

Only a matter of time before the authenticated signed copies command significant premium over unsigned copies, and that's when you'll be kicking yourself for passing on the opportunity to have Stan sign yours.

James G

Seriously, I think the personalization of the book, and the opportunity to meet the 'Man', is worth more the the $5K price tag. Stan is getting on in years and he won't be around much longer so in this day and age of 3rd party authentication, it sure seems like a positive thing to do.

On a side-bar, popular literary works, children's classics such as Peter Pan, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, etc. with inscriptions/signatures by the author sell for several multiples over those that are 'defaced', as you so eloquently stated.

Only a matter of time before the authenticated signed copies command significant premium over unsigned copies, and that's when you'll be kicking yourself for passing on the opportunity to have Stan sign yours.

Your not even close to comparing the same things.

First off books are generally signed on the title page not the front cover or the dust jacket. Not the same thing as signing over the image of Spiderman on the front cover of an AF 15

Second authors back then didn't sign much so there is a lot less around. Stan signs EVERYTHING and if you want something signed by him it is VERY available.

Third from what talking to the CGC guys in Philly it seems more often then not people don't meet the artists and just give the books to CGC, have them get them signed and slabed.

I meet Stan years ago at a NY show, I got the last autograph as he was walking out. He signed the splash page of my Amazing Spiderman 27 and it looks awesome. That is a story and worth something to me, so I will never sell that book or slab it.

These days there are no stories just books being signed and slabed.

I don't have any problem with signed books but do it right. There was an Avengers 4 on the FS section that was a nice mid grade copy but was missing a page, IMO this is PERFECT to get signed as it presented very well but didn't have much real value as a comic. There are plenty of books that have lower value that would look great signed but alas people will continue to get expensive books signed even though I see no added value.

James G

Stan may sign a lot, but it will cost you for his signature. Plus he won't live forever, I hope he's around another 100 years. He's all Marvel.

Why does CGC have the signature series as carrying more points in the registry than blue universal? Marketing? Rarity? There will always be less Signature Series (any signer/Stan Lee) on the CGC census than the Blue grades.

People sent me ugly PM's when I got a GA CA1 signed by Joe Simon. But that could be another thread. Some of these creators just will not be with us much longer.

Also, you take a huge risk to unslab a CGC, get it signed, and then regraded. The grade could always go against you.

You either love SIGS or you don't. If I could afford an Action #1 and the creators were around, that baby would be a SS for myself. I have no doubt I would be having a lot of negative PM's sent to me.

I just had an A#4, TOS#59 and JIM#83 (over $5k) signed by Stan. I pay extra for him to sign where I want him to avoid being on the main characters.

I get keys signed all the time. Have a TOS39, JIM83, DD1, TOS59 and an AV4 on the way back from CGC. I do this for a variety of reasons, 1. The value goes up. In most cases a signed book is worth much more than an unsigned, usually more than the cost of adding the sig. 2. A correctly signed book looks awesome and is a cross-genre collectible. 3. It's a nice memento from the aging master's, my thought is get the sig while I still can. Most of these guys are in their 80s, some in their 90s.

I will say, I do not get high-grade silver or gold signed. Low or mid-grade stuff only. I don't think that I would ever get a truly rare book signed, even if it were possible, as most rare books would be attributed to creators who are no longer with us. I've only gotten one gold book signed and I was a bit torn about it, so I don't think I would get anymore signed. I see nothing wrong with highly available silver books being signed if the owner wants them signed. It's not like were going to run out. Thousands of copies of all of them for the most part.

This is just my personal opinion...but I wouldn't mind having a Stan Lee signature on an AF #15 or any other classic mega-key book for which he was truly a part of creating.

An ink stain or marks from a pen or marker might under most circumstances "deface" the book to one extent or another, but this is the creator of the grail putting his own hands on his creation and leaving his mark on it. That to me would likely be a bonus.

It would kind of be like having a home run baseball used during a classic world series game; would it really deface the ball if Babe Ruth had signed it afterwards?

Obviously comics are much different but I still think some of the principles still apply.

James G

For what it's worth, I mostly agree with you.

While I am firmly in the "It's your book do what you want with it" camp, I would personally never get anyone's signature on a major key unless it was really, really low grade. To me, ultra high grade, high value comics are not for signing, but that's just my 2c

If I were looking to have Stan sign anything I'd hand him my copy of the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus or ASM Masterwork book, but that's just me.