• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade this Strange Tales #102

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I might be selling this in the VCC, but I am having a little trouble trying to grade this book. It looks really nice, however there is a small crease that breaks color on the bottom right hand side. Also, on the back, there are 3 creases on the lower left hand side, although they aren't heavy and don't break color (They are hard to see because of the white color). There is also some smudging of the letters in that area as well (it almost looks like somone tried to smooth out the crease with their finger and smudged the lettering while doing so).

Thanks in advance for any help!

StrangeTales_front.jpg

StrangeTales_back.jpg

Looks trimmed on all 3 sides. I see your in NY. You didnt happen to buy it from someone called robojo did you?

No...I bought this back in the 90's at a convention...I think it might have been Sparkle City but I don't remember exactly all these years later.

Looks trimmed on all 3 sides. I see your in NY. You didnt happen to buy it from someone called robojo did you?

Are you saying that because the edges are clean, or have you actually done some comparisons to untrimmed copies of ST 102 :shrug:

Are you saying that because the edges are clean, or have you actually done some comparisons to untrimmed copies of ST 102 :shrug:

I'm just saying it looks trimmed because the corners are slightly blunted, folds and there is some chipping on the edges plus the smudging. Put those together and still have flawless razor sharp edges? Not likely, but it is possible it's not trimmed. Also the overhang disappears towards the top, even though the book is not miscut. Just my 2c.

I would definately have this book resto checked before subbing if it were mine

I'm just saying it looks trimmed because the corners are slightly blunted, folds and there is some chipping on the edges plus the smudging. Put those together and still have flawless razor sharp edges? Not likely, but it is possible it's not trimmed. Also the overhang disappears towards the top, even though the book is not miscut. Just my 2c.

I would definately have this book resto checked before subbing if it were mine

I'm no expert at trim detection, but I'm just wondering what you're looking at - the spine and BC are pretty clean, so I guess that makes the other clean edges less suspect to me. There is overhang at the top, mostly seen by the back cover image. The right edge looks good to me. The bottom edge looks slightly miscut.

Jay asked me to post these larger scans. I would say the book is not trimmed. Would like to hear from others who know about such things, and also some opinions on grade.

st102lg.jpg

st102bclg.jpg