• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee File copies????

90 posts in this topic

The whole Stan Lee File copy thing has me mystified. The CGC Signature series basically guarantees it's Stan's autograph on the book, yet Stan has been signing books for decades, only CGC does not recognize those as authentic.

About 10 years ago I bought 2 Fantastic four #48's, both signed by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby! I bought the books from a guy and his brother, both who got them signed at a convention in the early 80's.

Good thing I sold them 1 year before CGC opened, they would be (Green) GLOD's now!

Why pay 10 times guide for [!@#%^&^] when you can find a previously signed copy for 1/2 guide?!? makepoint.gif

Timely

There is a difference between Stan Lee Signature Series books which just have an authenticated Stan Lee signature and Stan Lee Signature Series File Copy book which is from his personal files.

There is a difference between Stan Lee Signature Series books which just have an authenticated Stan Lee signature and Stan Lee Signature Series File Copy book which is from his personal files.

I think the whole thing comes down to if you feel strongly about owning a copy held by "Stan the Man"

And not only did Stan hold it, but he used it, read it, and perhaps was inspired by what he read to take that and parlay it into another title,

Fact is these "ARE" history, and no one is bigger , no one.

So Comic Link is banking on this,

I personally think it is way to much to obtain them.

But hey, if its a piece of history and some consider them priceless, then, whats $1300 amongst friends if its something you truely want.(Right Ian?)

Anyhow , these Sig series are most certainly different then the File Copies, as the file copies were used by Stan, albiet to what extent we dont know, but if you buy one and gaze at it, you can only wonder at what it has seen, or what it inspired.

And you hold piece of comic history.

Zeman

guys - - my whole point was "Are these REALLY" Stan's copies? I have a hard time with this. I think its a clever marketing gimmick, nothing more. Stan always said he never kept any comics or he'd be rich. Suddenly there are hundreds of them showing up.

The CEO is the decision maker in a manner of speaking on day-to-day executive decisions. But big decisions have to be approved by the board of directors, and the shareholders elect the directors. Perlmutter is far and away the largest shareholder, when taking into account both his actual shares and also his exercisable options. He may not drive the bus, but he tells the driver where to go and fires the driver if he doesn't comply.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ir?s=MVL

This is a list of shareholders. Keep in mind that it does not include options held by the people listed, which in the case of several of these guys, are significant.

He is also the single largest shareholder of the company and the ultimate decision maker.

Is Marvel different from other companies where the CEO is the decision maker?

guys - - my whole point was "Are these REALLY" Stan's copies? I have a hard time with this. I think its a clever marketing gimmick, nothing more. Stan always said he never kept any comics or he'd be rich. Suddenly there are hundreds of them showing up.

I thought I read somewhere once (probably CBG) that Stan had stashed a lot of his books in his basement and lost a substantial quantity of them due to water damage when a pipe or something had broke. I believe this story was from Stan himself many many years ago.

Don't know if this is true since my memory may be going and also Stan enjoys spicing up a story sometimes. confused-smiley-013.gif

The CEO is the decision maker in a manner of speaking on day-to-day executive decisions. But big decisions have to be approved by the board of directors, and the shareholders elect the directors. Perlmutter is far and away the largest shareholder, when taking into account both his actual shares and also his exercisable options. He may not drive the bus, but he tells the driver where to go and fires the driver if he doesn't comply.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ir?s=MVL

This is a list of shareholders. Keep in mind that it does not include options held by the people listed, which in the case of several of these guys, are significant.

He is also the single largest shareholder of the company and the ultimate decision maker.

Is Marvel different from other companies where the CEO is the decision maker?

OK, switching gears and going along with the thread hijack in progress blush.gif

Ike is the final arbiter of power at Marvel. He stays behind the scenes and lets Avi be the front man. But never misunderstand that it is Ikes savvy and "special" business prowess that enabled ToyBiz to snatch Marvel right out from under the twin titans of Wall St: Perelman and Icann. Hes one tough sunuvabeeyatch!

I thought I read somewhere once (probably CBG) that Stan had stashed a lot of his books in his basement and lost a substantial quantity of them due to water damage when a pipe or something had broke. I believe this story was from Stan himself many many years ago.

Don't know if this is true since my memory may be going and also Stan enjoys spicing up a story sometimes. confused-smiley-013.gif

I Agree, with a Few of You (I Think) who might be thinking these are NOT Stan's File Copies, BUT Comics he's probably been GIVEN over the Last Couple of Decades and FORGOT to throw away. He Constantly over the Years Told Stories on how he Kept NO Comics...Now he has more "stuff" than I do .... I Think THIS, along with Godawful stanlee.com and, Oh Brother, I can Barely Type it "Striparella", are a Hell of a Way for a Legend to END the Career...It often appears that he's worried he's going to Die ONLY with a Few Million in the Bank, and Along with Dr. Seuss's Widow is out to get it, while the Getting is Good.... and I LOVE Stan Lee, and Marvel Comics, But his Moves over the Last few Years have RUBBED me WRONG. 893frustrated.gif

Except Avi isn't the front man per se of Marvel Comics, only of Marvel Entertainment. I agree that Isaac is a very important person in Marvel, however I don't believe that he makes any sort of creative decisions for Marvel. I would imagine his main interests lie in the business side of the company, i.e., profit/loss, stock price, etc.

Yep, that's all true. I meant that Ike runs Marvel Enterprises, not Marvel Comics and not any of the creative stuff -- although he did apparently have a hand in getting rid of Bill Jemas as publisher.

Sorry about the thread hijack. I'm done now. frown.gif

Except Avi isn't the front man per se of Marvel Comics, only of Marvel Entertainment. I agree that Isaac is a very important person in Marvel, however I don't believe that he makes any sort of creative decisions for Marvel. I would imagine his main interests lie in the business side of the company, i.e., profit/loss, stock price, etc.

never said anything about creative decisions... thats beneath Ike.

but if moneys at stake due to a creative decisin, he will step in and decide... like with Jemas.

Good words Zeman, at least someone agrees with me thumbsup2.gif

Can I just point out that there are signature series books, Stan Lee File copies, and Stan Lee File copy signature series books. Not sure if he has actually done ANY SS books, except for the file copies.

As for their authenticity, that what CGC are for! The fact that Stan SAYS they are his, Heritage plugged them BIG, and CGC authenticated them, either makes them authentic or a complete farce of the ENTIRE comic world as we know it. If they were NOT SLFC, then that would make the following:

-Stan Lee a liar, and just out to get every penny he can

-CGC a complete farce, with no judge of authenticity at all & Liars

-Heritage, out to make money at the cost of the people & Liars

All the above could be true, but I damn sure think NOT!

It's not the comic your buying with these. Look past that! It's the historical significance. Some may still say it's all BS, but you don't see many of the first SLFC up for sale very often, can't say I've seen any at all (apart from the CL offerings). So the people that bought them obviously bought them for keeps. So as Zeeman said, to a fan of the man and what he has done, maybe $2k aint tooo bad, considering the MAD prices we have seen on other HG books of recent times confused-smiley-013.gif

Can I just point out that there are signature series books, Stan Lee File copies, and Stan Lee File copy signature series books. Not sure if he has actually done ANY SS books, except for the file copies.

Just to clarify, he has signed books that aren't "File Copies". I know because I own one. So he has done the signature series with other books.