• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee File copies????

90 posts in this topic

I am not saying that at all. I think you guys are misdirecting your complaints towards Heritage. The actual culprit, other than the person "restoring" comics, is CGC. They are the ones that certify that these books are in fact unrestored copies.

If CGC is the parent and Heritage is the child, and it's parent's job to make sure the child doesn't stick his hand in the cookie jar when he's not supposed to...is it entirely the parent's fault if the kid makes off with all the cookies? "Oh, sorry I didn't catch you stealing them, little Johnny! That's MY fault." confused.gif

If there is blame to be laid, then CGC and Heritage share it. I'm not sure there really is blame to be laid, but that trimmed Batman 11 is of great concern. It's got me wondering whether the high-grade game is really worth playing anymore as a collector.

While I don't disagree with what you're saying, what I'd really like to see is for Heritage and CGC to come up with a way to stop this from happening. We don't necessarily need to have a public lynching, but this does need to stop. As it stands, I don't think I would buy any expensive books from Heritage after what I've seen and I can't imagine that I'm alone here.

I am not saying that at all. I think you guys are misdirecting your complaints towards Heritage. The actual culprit, other than the person "restoring" comics, is CGC. They are the ones that certify that these books are in fact unrestored copies.

If CGC is the parent and Heritage is the child, and it's parent's job to make sure the child doesn't stick his hand in the cookie jar when he's not supposed to...is it entirely the parent's fault if the kid makes off with all the cookies? "Oh, sorry I didn't catch you stealing them, little Johnny! That's MY fault." confused.gif

If there is blame to be laid, then CGC and Heritage share it. I'm not sure there really is blame to be laid, but that trimmed Batman 11 is of great concern. It's got me wondering whether the high-grade game is really worth playing anymore as a collector.

27_laughing.gifchild and parent? 27_laughing.gif

I agree with you that these issues need to be addressed, especially by CGC. As with other hobbies, when you involve lots of money there will be people who will take advantage of others. I just don't feel that holding Heritage responsible for these tampered books is reasonable. Yes, I think if they are aware of such books they should not mislead the bidders. I know OG, and probably others, disagrees that Heritage has an obligation to investigate such books. Maybe they do. Unless something is done by CGC or Heritage this will continue.

I, for one, think it is worth making a fuss about the kind of dubious practices that Heritage are involved in. They are NOT good for the long term health of the hobby. frown.gifmakepoint.gif

Agreed. Their policies are allowing them to use their unique position to stick it to the collector wherever they can. This level of distrust that their practices have created and allowed to flourish will eventually impact them, CGC, and consequently the entire market in a negative manner. I think it is inevitable. The fact that they can bid and buy in their own auctions juggle.gif, directly competing against their very own client base 893naughty-thumb.gif, for the sole purpose of flipping for an even bigger profit down the road to that SAME client base is dirty pool and a HUGE turn-off boo.gif. They are trolling for dollars and suckers and it has worked up to this point. Who cares about the future? Make your dollar now while the gettin' is good, right? Wrong answer and let the buyer beware. I used to go on Marnin's website, read his blurbs, and think he was a bit paranoid. Now I realize he's been spot on all along about these guys. Just curious but do any other auction houses, comic book or non-comic book related, have a similar policy in place?

Where is Marnin's website?

I, for one, think it is worth making a fuss about the kind of dubious practices that Heritage are involved in. They are NOT good for the long term health of the hobby. frown.gifmakepoint.gif

Agreed. Their policies are allowing them to use their unique position to stick it to the collector wherever they can. This level of distrust that their practices have created and allowed to flourish will eventually impact them, CGC, and consequently the entire market in a negative manner. I think it is inevitable. The fact that they can bid and buy in their own auctions juggle.gif, directly competing against their very own client base 893naughty-thumb.gif, for the sole purpose of flipping for an even bigger profit down the road to that SAME client base is dirty pool and a HUGE turn-off boo.gif. They are trolling for dollars and suckers and it has worked up to this point. Who cares about the future? Make your dollar now while the gettin' is good, right? Wrong answer and let the buyer beware. I used to go on Marnin's website, read his blurbs, and think he was a bit paranoid. Now I realize he's been spot on all along about these guys. Just curious but do any other auction houses, comic book or non-comic book related, have a similar policy in place?

It's got me wondering whether the high-grade game is really worth playing anymore as a collector.

Well was it worth playing before CGC? How many times did you get burned before?

Do you feel safer with CGCbooks, Metropolis's raw books or with any other nameless dealer?

Timely

Well was it worth playing before CGC? How many times did you get burned before?

I came back into collecting in mid-2000, and figured out the usefulness of CGC in late 2000 after buying a few raw restored books.

Do you feel safer with CGCbooks, Metropolis's raw books or with any other nameless dealer?

Well with nameless dealers, no...but between CGC'd books and dealer books, I don't know anymore. frown.gif