• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please answer a few questions for new collector, thanks

6 posts in this topic

Just a few questions from a person new to collecting. Any help would be most appreciated.

1) What is slabbing?

2) Is there a good way to store comics besides sticking them in a bag with a board?

3) I've been reading some of the posts and I hear of a downturn in the market for silver age marvels. Then I go to Heritage and I'm seeing them going for absurdly high prices. What gives? If this is a downturn, what the heck where they going for 2 years ago?

Thanks

1> Slabbing is when you send in your book to CGC to have it graded by them. They place it in a plastic case with a grade listed on a paper placed inside the slab above the comic.

2> Depends on if you want to spend a lot of money. There's better QUALITY bags and boards, but that's about all you really need.

3> The prices are slightly down on certain issues from what they were going for this Summer. Thus people are saying the prices are going down (which in some cases they are)

Brian

"I've been reading some of the posts and I hear of a downturn in the market for silver age marvels. Then I go to Heritage and I'm seeing them going for absurdly high prices. What gives? If this is a downturn, what the heck where they going for 2 years ago?"

Most of the dowturn in pricing occured within the bronze and modern age books that are pretty common in high grade.

High grade silver age is still pretty solid, with a few exceptions in the latter part of the period. Non-keys after 1966 have been hit the hardest in terms of silver age.

Silver ASM is still going strong, but many of the more common issues have suffered a deflation from the pre-movie hype.

Bottom line is there will be a leveling off of prices now that CGC is more established. It's at this point that we can start to see what's really rare and what isn't. IMO the truly rare and "key" stuff will continue to hold their own

Hi bonesy,

Here is a link to a supplier of archival storage supplies for your comics. The types of material they use in their products are about as good as you can get for storage. Their supplies aren't cheap, but they will protect your books for years and years without deteriorating or giving off harmfull gases that could hurt your books. There are other companies out there that have product that are just as good, but this is the one that I use. They also have some educational information on their site about storage. Hope that helps. smile.gif

Bill Cole Enterprises