• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In which age do we find the most fascinating Batman tales?

66 posts in this topic

The copper age had some great stories. But so did the bronze age. And the modern age brought us the "hush" storyline. I think you see what im getting at.

Just a shame that Hush is equipped with such fanboyish art through and through.

The heroic posture of the figures, etc, etc.

Fanboy here....I liked it

The copper age had some great stories. But so did the bronze age. And the modern age brought us the "hush" storyline. I think you see what im getting at.

Just a shame that Hush is equipped with such fanboyish art through and through.

The heroic posture of the figures, etc, etc.

Fanboy here....I liked it

Yeah it just me getting older - Ignore an oldtimers rapple. I know its popular a lot. (thumbs u

I must agree...plus,it's what I bought off the spinner as a kid...
The answers to this question would probably depend on the age of each person when purchased off of a spinner rack.

So, like everything you read as a kid is great.

And everything you read later on is dreg ... (shrug)

No not necessarily as many people can "like" stories from older days but the ones they find "fascinating" as you mentioned will probably be from the era that has the most nostalgia coming from the spinner rack.

This in itself is not a bad thing, just more or less of what one could predict. :foryou:

I must agree...plus,it's what I bought off the spinner as a kid...
The answers to this question would probably depend on the age of each person when purchased off of a spinner rack.

So, like everything you read as a kid is great.

And everything you read later on is dreg ... (shrug)

No not necessarily as many people can "like" stories from older days but the ones they find "fascinating" as you mentioned will probably be from the era that has the most nostalgia coming from the spinner rack.

This in itself is not a bad thing, just more or less of what one could predict. :foryou:

Well said .... +1

It must be noted that the Silver Age did bring us the classic "Joker Boner" tale. I can't recall the issue # though.

Actually, it's Batman #66 (1951).

Wow! So, I guess that's GA.

Thanks for the correction.

I would have to go with issues of Batman and Detective from the Neal Adams time period. Mostly stand alone tales too, so you don't have to read all of them. I would start on Detective at about #395 and read up to the Marshall Rogers stuff in the 470s. On Batman start with #219 and read up to about #260.

The 1970s were probably Batman's best overall decade. At the start we had O'Neil and Adams bringing Batman back to his dark roots. At the end we had Englehart and Rodgers giving us the definitive Detective run. After that, it's probably the mid-1980s with Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, and Year One.

There's some good modern stuff, but separating the wheat from the chaff is tough given how much guano DC shoves out to the newstand every week.

Batman #404 - #406 (Year One)

Batman #417 - #420 (Ten Nights of the Beast)

Batman #426 - #429 (Death in the Family)

Vengeance of Bane

Batman #489 - #497 & 'Tec #659 - #663 (Knightfall)

Batman #516 - #550 (Doug Moench and Kelley Jones writing and art)

Batman #608 - #619 (Hush)

Batman #686 & 'Tec #853 (Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader)

Killing Joke

Anything Nolan and Dixon worked on on 'Tec.

Batman #404 - #406 (Year One)

Batman #417 - #420 (Ten Nights of the Beast)

Batman #426 - #429 (Death in the Family)

Vengeance of Bane

Batman #489 - #497 & 'Tec #659 - #663 (Knightfall)

Batman #516 - #550 (Doug Moench and Kelley Jones writing and art)

Batman #608 - #619 (Hush)

Batman #686 & 'Tec #853 (Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader)

Killing Joke

Anything Nolan and Dixon worked on on 'Tec.

See I don't really recommend this list at all.

Year One was not my favorite at all. Knightfall was horrendous. I liked the Prodigal storyline which featured Grayson as Batman, Hush was okay.

My biggest problem is with Killing Joke. Great story and the art is beautiful, but the ending is so contrary to the character of Batman, it just couldn't happen. No way after what has happened that the Joker and Bats sit around having a few laughs. Typical Alan Moore.

I do like Chuck Dixon stuff. He has a real knack for Crime drama.

Year One was not my favorite at all.

I agree. I thought it was "OK". Certainly not as great as most people think it is.

My biggest problem is with Killing Joke. Great story and the art is beautiful, but the ending is so contrary to the character of Batman, it just couldn't happen. No way after what has happened that the Joker and Bats sit around having a few laughs. Typical Alan Moore.

Certainly not Moore's best. I think he's actually said basically what you did about the work (the ending doesn't work).

Best Joker story in the last 20 or so years, for me, was Batman #663. It's a Morrison short story. Frikkin' awesome.

The 1970s were probably Batman's best overall decade. At the start we had O'Neil and Adams bringing Batman back to his dark roots. At the end we had Englehart and Rodgers giving us the definitive Detective run. After that, it's probably the mid-1980s with Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, and Year One.

There's some good modern stuff, but separating the wheat from the chaff is tough given how much guano DC shoves out to the newstand every week.

I give this post the fingh seal of approval.

I would have to go with issues of Batman and Detective from the Neal Adams time period. Mostly stand alone tales too, so you don't have to read all of them. I would start on Detective at about #395 and read up to the Marshall Rogers stuff in the 470s. On Batman start with #219 and read up to about #260.

Are these arcs available in collected volumes?

I'd love to have these ...

Are these Arcs available in beatifull hardcovers ?

Mainly Bronze Age for me too, especially the Adams and Rogers books.

I also enjoyed the Grant / Breyfogle run, late Copper to Modern Age.