• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comics database do people prefer?

13 posts in this topic

hi bonesy, welcome to the forum.

personally i use comicbase to store my data, which i think is a great package. we recently had a thread here which discussed the pros and cons of various pieces of database software. here is a link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=51656&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Comicbase is a bit pricey for what it is IMO. Realms of Wonder is a very efficient collecting program, pretty cheap, and the guy responds to technical questions within the day or the next morning.

Brian

Actually that stuff is . If you want to know what REAL software SUPPORT is..how about..having your entire collection put into the software..then as the updates started coming..after one of them the collection file gets corrupted (probably by your computer)..so you email the creator and he spends the time manually pulling every single listing out of the file and placing them into a new one, while saving ALL the information in the original one and bringing it to the new one. Did I mention this software costs 15 dollars and is far superior to the on eBay?

Brian

how about..having your entire collection put into the software..then as the updates started coming..after one of them the collection file gets corrupted

How about a program where the updates don't corrupt your files to begin with? tongue.gif

How is it "far superior" to the "" on eBay (other than Support)? I would be interested in knowing the differences.

There's never going to be a 100 percent efficient way to update information files like this..even Comicbase will have some problems with it at some point. The customer support is outstanding. The interface is easy to use, and the guide values are up-to-date. I think you can even store images with the record of your book. Comicbase has too many "fluff" features like bios and . All I want is a comic database not a history lesson..(that you have to pay more for)

Brian

peter bickford, who is the guy behind comicbase, also offers amazing support.

i have had several phone conversations with him about problems and he is very helpful. he also responds to emails within hours and is very receptive to suggestions for software improvements.

Hello,

I'm glad that you asked that question because I have used a WizardWorld portfolio, stopped using a WizardWorld portfolio (for good reasons), and researched other database options for keeping track of my comic book collection. I knew that I had found exactly what I was looking for after reading the ComicBase manual. It's not a program that is here today and will be gone tomorrow. It has been around for a few years. ComicBase is also advertised in OverStreet, and Bill Cole (BCE Mylar) sells the program too. ComicBase integrates with eBay, Yahoo!, etc. Although some of the other database programs integrate with eBay, etc., ask yourself this question "do I, or can I trust the makers of the software with information like eBay user id's etc.?" So I would be careful about choosing a program that you put critical information in. My theory is that the most well know/widely used program will be the most reliable and trustworthy. Anyway, here is a link to Human-Computing the makers of ComicBase. If you have a slower internet connection like me, then download the ComicBase 7 User Manual

Here is the introduction taken straight from the ComicBase 6 manual, the version I'm using that I purchased on eBay for $50 ($35 more than Relms of Wonder that has been mentioned)...

"Thanks for purchasing ComicBase, the finest software available for people who love comic books. ComicBase comprises an encyclopedia of comic books, a database for organizing and managing your collection, and a price guide with comic book values for the past four years. It includes reviews, as well as detailed notes on over 13,000 titles, combined with full-color illustrations of cover art. ComicBase tells you what each title is about, how it relates to other titles, and helps you find special issues by first appearances, origin stories, or by the writer or artist who wrote for it.

ComicBase is also a professional tool for organizing and managing your collection. It keeps track of which comics you have, charts your collection’s value over time, and prints a wide variety of reports to let you manage your collection like a pro. These include detailed price lists, collection statistics, checklists, and much more. You can also use ComicBase to create price labels or automatically post your books to an online auction site.

ComicBase is updated regularly. We’ve combined our research with that of Comics Buyer’s Guide to cover more titles, both mainstream and independent, than any other guide. We’ve also expanded our pricing research, including sales at retail stores, conventions and online auction sites. The result is the most realistic, hard-hitting price guide available.

ComicBase 6 is also available in a Deluxe Edition which includes a special bonus disk, containing thousands of additional cover art scans, interviews with comic book creators, and movie previews."

P.S. - If you have any questions AFTER reading the manual, then feel free to ask away, I'll do my best to answer them.