• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shouldn't this be a Green Qualified CGC label?

29 posts in this topic

That's actually a great point. When an original artist signs a book on the front cover, it gets the Green Label of Non-Investment, whereas original owner sigs like Larson or this one get the Blue Label of Pedigree Bonus Investment Bliss. Although I do see and understand CGC's line of thinking that led to this--they're trying to communicate via the Qualified label that they can't verify who actually signed the book--but it really doesn't make sense when you think about it.

It's a side effect of inappropriately mixing the unverified sigs in with the 4" back cover tears that we've all come to know as the CGC Qualified grade. Good first attempt, but I hope they continue to evolve how they assign the Qualified label or come up with a new one.

I think it's only a qualified book if the signature is supposedly one of the artists or authors of the comic.

If CGC doesn't authenticate/verify signatures on comics then technically we find ourselves in the same situation when comparing to this book. I'd love to get some of my Dynamic Forces signed books back from CGC with a Blue label....if I take out the DF COA and send it in as is, and the sig is illegible, you are saying that I'll get it back with a blue label?

I'm not sure about that....

I agree FF. I think the it's stupid to give one the qualified label and the other a universal label. Besides, if they CAN verify the signature, then they put a yellow label on it......so their old excuse about using the green label if they CAN'T verify it just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think if it looks like a signature of someone that was associated with the book, then they'll give it a green label. If Bob Schmuck signs it, it'll get a blue label, and probably will be downgraded because of the signature.

That signature is by the original owner of the Winnipeg collection

So if I signed my Ultimate Spideys before I slab them because "my mommy tells me to write my name in my comics before I bring them to school" and they'll come back with a blue label? This owner is a Joe Schmoe collector like everyone else here. Why can't we get our books back with a Blue label if we sign our names on them?

I think if it looks like a signature of someone that was associated with the book, then they'll give it a green label. If Bob Schmuck signs it, it'll get a blue label, and probably will be downgraded because of the signature.

So in effect, CGC IS doing some authentication of signatures, at least to the degree of determining if the sig is from a creator vs. Joe Schmoe collector.

I like FF's take that Blue label is given to signed comics of a pedigree; while the Green Qualified Label of non-investment is bestowed on books that should otherwise be golden in fanboy's minds....

The Yellow Label is easy..a CGC rep is there at the Cons to witness the sigs.

"Why can't we get out books back with a Blue label if we sign our names on them? "

signatures/ writting like this on a winnipeg book, larson, white mountain etc is often the only accurate way to verify the book came from pedigree collection. a lot of collectors actually prefer the books from these famous collections with the sigs/markings as they then know they are getting the real deal. other pedigree books suffer from a lack of verification and beleif that they were from the original collection.

i think that is the real issue here, the verification of the signature and the cache it has in the marketplace.

The REAL issue will be if CGC ever becomes defunct or the grading is no longer trusted..some of us people who own books with no markings and no CoA (i.e. the Western PA books) could be screwed..as one of the only way to identify these are by page color and smell..and I'd guess the smell would be altered after being in the CGC holder.

Brian

signatures/ writting like this on a winnipeg book, larson, white mountain etc is often the only accurate way to verify the book came from pedigree collection. a lot of collectors actually prefer the books from these famous collections with the sigs/markings as they then know they are getting the real deal.

Gotcha. Once again CGC is doing some verification of signatures, which they claim not to do, except on the Yello Sig series label. So if I get a similar book, an ASM from that age let's say, and forge Larsen or "pedigree Owner's name" on it, I'll get it back as a blue label?

i think that is the real issue here, the verification of the signature and the cache it has in the marketplace.

If that is the case then every pedigree with a sig SHOULD be given a Yellow Label, where CGC says that they have verified the sig as authentic?

some of us people who own books with no markings and no CoA (i.e. the Western PA books) could be screwed

I own a couple of CGC'd Western Penns and always curious why there was no COA included. Fortunately, they put the fact that it is a Western Pa on the CGC label. I guess I also wondered how exactly CGC decided it was a Western Penn w/o the COA. Is there an "Eau de Western Penn" out there, if so please send a bottle my way for Xmas so I can spray my entire collection. grin.gif

"If that is the case then every pedigree with a sig SHOULD be given a Yellow Label, where CGC says that they have verified the sig as authentic? "

are you serious??? can you imagine seeing a church action book with a yellow label? shocked.giftongue.gif

the signatures on pedigree books are widly known in the hobby and presumably cgc uses graders that would instantly recognise these books, but if i understand correctly they have to actually WITNESS the signing for a book to get a yellow label.

The problem though is if CGC is ever determined to be "doing something wrong" or found to be "untrustworthy". Even though it may say "Western Penn" on the label, that may mean absolutely nothing..I guess I'll just hope that doesn't happen...btw if you have any of my ASM Western Penn's I will expect you to sell them to me immediately.

Brian