• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Dynamite - Super 70's Retro Cool!

12 posts in this topic

I finally got a chance to see Black Dynamite on Blu-ray and I found it both hilarious and great to watch,. It's kind of a spoof on 70's blaxploitation flicks, but obviously these guys love the genre and didn't take the stupid Austin Powers/Scary Movie angle. Using real 70's film stock, classic costumes & chicks, and Michael Jai White kicking mucho azzzzzz.

black_dynamite.jpg

I mention this because not only is a great spoof on a few 70's movie genres, but as a big fan of Hero for Hire and the Marvel Kung-Fu books, it was a real blast from the past for funny books as well. In fact, parts of the spoof plot could have been taken out of a MOKF comic - and the ending is right from a Captain America story, but with a bit more Kung Fu.

If you haven't seen it, and love 70's retro stuff, definitely check it out. Just some of the lines are worth the cost of admission.

BlackDynamite2.jpg

It stayed true to the genre while mocking it. I thought it was pretty funny at times, though some of the gags were getting old towards the end. The trailer was so hilarious, it probably set my expectations too high.

Michael Jai White's deadpan performance did crack me up.

The more I think about this movie, the more I realize that Cap in the 1970's was just one big exploitation run.

From his Easy Rider days, fighting drug kingpins, Falcon falling in love with the black militant biotch, Sam Wilson's stint as welfare officer/street vigilante, Raf's Black Panthers, Sharon Carter & Femme Force do women's lib, Doc Faustus giving Cap a drug trip, Cap's racist doppelganger, all the way to the "Fight the Man" run in the Evil Empire storyline..

Before finally going full circle, giving up his Cap identity and then switching to the "man with no country" Nomad. Classic pop culture exploitation stuff.

But Jesus H Christ, the first thing I thought when Black Dynamite burst into the office right the end was.... Cap 175. :roflmao:

"Take your filthy black hands off the presidential dinnerware, you moon-cricket!"

The more I think about this movie, the more I realize that Cap in the 1970's was just one big exploitation run.

From his Easy Rider days, fighting drug kingpins, Falcon falling in love with the black militant biotch, Sam Wilson's stint as welfare officer/street vigilante, Raf's Black Panthers, Sharon Carter & Femme Force do women's lib, Doc Faustus giving Cap a drug trip, Cap's racist doppelganger, all the way to the "Fight the Man" run in the Evil Empire storyline..

Before finally going full circle, giving up his Cap identity and then switching to the "man with no country" Nomad. Classic pop culture exploitation stuff.

But Jesus H Christ, the first thing I thought when Black Dynamite burst into the office right the end was.... Cap 175. :roflmao:

"Take your filthy black hands off the presidential dinnerware, you moon-cricket!"

Nice insight. Comics are a remarkable mirror of the society in/from which they were created.