• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a colorist cover proof???

14 posts in this topic

Are they actual watercolor washes applied on paper or are they printed?

There are the original color guides where the companies (DC, Marvel, etc) printed a BW page and handed it to their colorists or staff members who would hand paint in the pages with watercolors, pencil and sometimes guache, they would then label the sheet with notes for the printer to follow.

They might also be the printers proofs before before actually printing the run of the issue.

Could possibly be a mock up done for some other reason.

There are are a lot of variables here...

It looks like a color guide used to direct the printer. Due dates, received dates sign offs initialed by the editor are on the back sometimes with other notes. Occasionally titles or other small areas can be re-colored cut out and affixed to the piece with glue or tape. Also sometimes a vellum overlay (tracing paper) is taped to the back of the piece and flopped around to the front and color notations are placed on it by the colorist instead of directly on the piece itself. Hope this helps!

It looks like a color guide used to direct the printer. Due dates, received dates sign offs initialed by the editor are on the back sometimes with other notes. Occasionally titles or other small areas can be re-colored cut out and affixed to the piece with glue or tape. Also sometimes a vellum overlay (tracing paper) is taped to the back of the piece and flopped around to the front and color notations are placed on it by the colorist instead of directly on the piece itself. Hope this helps!

Thanks very much, you seem to have described these exactly. Water color printer guides, very interesting.

Now the kicker, do these have a following...will anyone want them or should I dispose of them. I have no place for them and don't suppose they are worth much even to a collector. Have you ever seen these in the marketplace?

They are a little more popular than they have been in the past but not very. Fortunately you have cover examples not page examples. You said "the same size as a normal cover". Do you mean a normal OA cover (11 X 17) or a normal comic book cover (8.5 X 11)? If they are 8.5 x 11 figure they go for about $20 - $40 each depending on the content. If they are full 11 X 17 I'd say $100 - $150 range. I know they are most likely the smaller traditional color guides everyone knows but I included the other number just in case.

Thanks very much, you seem to have described these exactly. Water color printer guides, very interesting.

Now the kicker, do these have a following...will anyone want them or should I dispose of them. I have no place for them and don't suppose they are worth much even to a collector. Have you ever seen these in the marketplace?

What else do you have?

I think I will just post them in the art for sale section if that is okay. Maybe someone here will enjoy them. I will start on the low side of the kind estimate I received and see if anyone wants to snatch them up.

Thanks for the information.

Yes there are collectors for these & some who primarily focus on these, please don't toss them out! Many have sold on ebay that is where I am familiar with but I'm sure at conventions and other sources as well. It is very hard to gauge the value on these pieces and is somewhat more subjective based on how important they are to individual collectors on a piece by piece basis. I've sold some DC cover color guides there and some have sold for as little as $15 while others have sold for $400 and all prices in between with collectors in the US, Australia, Canada, Europe & Asia. Marvel titles are also more popular with a lot of collectors than DC titles are, you might serve yourself well by doing some searches on completed listings there to give yourself a better perspective on the guides.

Wishing you the best of luck with them whatever you decide to do.

Lee

Ohh sorry I just saw that my reply was not necessary. doh!

Congratulations to both seller and buyer! :applause:

Thanks for the info anyway. I am not concerned with getting top $$ which is odd for me, but what the heck. These were part of a large collection I bought and I did not know what to do with them, so if the buyer got a smoking deal, that is cool with me.

Power to the chat boards!