• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you own comic books from 1975-present...?

34 posts in this topic

Throw them out.

Now.

They're worthless recyclables taking up space....

:whistle:

Now if only we could apply the same rule for kids hm

Ouch...

Did that with our daughter .. problem is she took a credit card. Now, that's ouch! :makepoint:

I will take any of the WWBN 32, 33, 37 along with any marvel spotlights 28 and 29 - 25 cent and 30 cent variants if people are going to throw them out since I have been informed they are worthless. Also any GI Joe ARAH 1-14, 21, 154 and 155.

I will take any of the WWBN 32, 33, 37 along with any marvel spotlights 28 and 29 - 25 cent and 30 cent variants if people are going to throw them out since I have been informed they are worthless. Also any GI Joe ARAH 1-14, 21, 154 and 155.

Man, I'm so glad I found this thread.....now I know I need to throw these away:

DSCN1735.jpg

Keep the maybe 20 keys from this era,then donate the other 5000 as a tax write off.

Don`t feel bad getting rid of them, just about every comic from this era has been reprinted in a high quality trade paperbacks and just about every Marvel comic from this era is on marvel digitalcomics.

so keep those few keys like New Mutants 98 and 87 and donate the rest to hospitals,schools and dumpsters. (thumbs u

Yep, keep the New Mutants #87 & 98 "keys" and donate the rest of the drek.

I mean, who'd want drekky stuff like Sandman, Preacher, Bone, Cerebus, Crow, Grendel, TMNT, Moore Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Groo, Dark Knight Returns, Claremont/Byrne X-Men and Simonson Thor when they can have the first appearance of Cable? :shrug:

Keep the maybe 20 keys from this era,then donate the other 5000 as a tax write off.

Don`t feel bad getting rid of them, just about every comic from this era has been reprinted in a high quality trade paperbacks and just about every Marvel comic from this era is on marvel digitalcomics.

so keep those few keys like New Mutants 98 and 87 and donate the rest to hospitals,schools and dumpsters. (thumbs u

I mean, who'd want drekky stuff like Sandman, Preacher, Bone, Cerebus, Crow, Grendel, TMNT, Moore Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Groo, Dark Knight Returns, Claremont/Byrne X-Men and Simonson Thor when they can have the first appearance of Cable? :shrug:

ahem :gossip:

I did say keep the 20 keys,ok maybe there are 30 to 50 keys but why do people get anal about the rest of this dreck? who cares if your generic non-keys are fine or near mint? At any grade they are still not worth anything moneywise. please they were great reading wise but 99 percent are not worth a dollar,maybe if your lucky a penny a pound.The bags and boards are worth more than most of these comics themselves.

I know a lot of comic collectors think man I spent 20 years bagging and boarding this stuff only to find out nobody on Ebay wants them. Sad but true.Just enjoy them as a good read like you would enjoy a dvd and stop thinking of making money with this era(1975 to 1995).for every Walking Dead and Bone there are thousands of worthless moneywise comics from this era.

now with that being said I will go read my Omnibus/trade paperbacks which are worth some money and have some value. ;)

I did say keep the 20 keys,ok maybe there are 30 to 50 keys but why do people get anal about the rest of this dreck? who cares if your generic non-keys are fine or near mint? At any grade they are still not worth anything moneywise. please they were great reading wise but 99 percent are not worth a dollar,maybe if your lucky a penny a pound.The bags and boards are worth more than most of these comics themselves.

I know a lot of comic collectors think man I spent 20 years bagging and boarding this stuff only to find out nobody on Ebay wants them. Sad but true.Just enjoy them as a good read like you would enjoy a dvd and stop thinking of making money with this era(1975 to 1995).for every Walking Dead and Bone there are thousands of worthless moneywise comics from this era.

now with that being said I will go read my Omnibus/trade paperbacks which are worth some money and have some value. ;)

That is true sometimes. Last batch of comics I sold back to the LCS I took all my bags and boards off of because I knew I would be getting a small amount of money and the bags and boards are 14 cents alltogether per book. Was about 50 books so roughty I saved $7 that I would have not been covered for.

I did say keep the 20 keys,ok maybe there is 30 to 50 keys but why do people get anal about the rest of this dreck? who cares if your generic non-keys are fine or near mint? At any grade they are still not worth anything moneywise. please they were great reading wise but 99 percent are not worth a dollar,maybe if your lucky a penny a pound.The bags and boards are worth more than most of these comics themselves.

Nobody is saying that that there wasn't a lot of drek produced during this 35 year period - there certainly was, and that's no different than any other era of comic books. But this has also been the friggin' golden age of comic book storytelling - where comic books have grown up, matured and finally given visionary artists & writers a chance to move the medium as a whole in a completely new direction.

The reason why people are anal about non-keys from this period is because there are thousands upon thousands of absolutely fantastic books that aren't necessarily keys - yet still command a decent amount of money when sold, and are coveted by collectors who happen to enjoy books that don't feature Streaky the Super-Cat or the Bat-Mite.

(Yes, sometimes if a book or series is considered a great read, it actually becomes valuable because of this - I know, it blows my mind as well.)

Claiming that 99% of the books printed in the last 35 years are worth "a penny a pound" and people should stop "thinking of making money with this era" is beyond ridiculous - just like there are dealers that specialize in Silver & Gold, there are dealers that specialize entirely in Bronze, Copper & Moderns, and have absolutely no problem making money doing so.

If you honestly think that the 1st appearance of Deadpool & Cable are the highlights of the last 35 years of comic books, you must live on another planet than the one I reside on - because, compared to the real keys of this era, New Mutants #87 is the crud you scrape off the bottom of your shoe after walking through the backyard of the neighbor who owns 5 dogs.

And, no, your Omnibuses/trade paperbacks are not really worth any sort of money - if you're lucky, they're worth approximately what you paid for them. In most cases, they're not ;)

Throw them out.

Now.

They're worthless recyclables taking up space....

So, to which thread is this the passive/aggressive response?

Pfffft.

Passive/aggressive? ME?

Aggressive/aggressive is much more like it. And I'd be far more aggressive...especially in the WTB threads...if I didn't think it'd get me booted. As it is, I've been on the ragged edge of a strike for years. :insane:

This thread isn't in response to anything specific, just in commentary to the general malaise that is the back issue market right now. Prices are plummeting across the board, and it's fairly depressing. When I got in the game, I did everything I was supposed to do. I watched what the successful people did..people who were doing quite well...and did what they did. I bought only the highest grade possible, and focused on key books and important characters.

Unfortunately, by that point, so was everyone else.

I missed out on the Silver Age explosion, and the only books that are worth anything from 1990-now are risky indepdendents. With the possible exception of Ultimate Spiderman #1 (and it's fading), no Marvel/DC book has held it's value...much less gone up...in the last 20 years. The only book that I bought brand new in quantity that turned out to be anything....and this is over the course of thousands and thousands of books published...is New Mutants #98. Woopeee.

X-Men #266, #248, #244, #270, Spidey #361, New Mutants #87, Hulk #367, #377, Superman #75, Robin #1, Valiants....all sell for substantially lower than their record highs, and adjusted for inflation, it's even worse.

If I had started 10 years earlier, and done the exact same thing, I'd be a millionaire by now.

Oh well. Them's the breaks

(thumbs u

I did say keep the 20 keys,ok maybe there is 30 to 50 keys but why do people get anal about the rest of this dreck? who cares if your generic non-keys are fine or near mint? At any grade they are still not worth anything moneywise. please they were great reading wise but 99 percent are not worth a dollar,maybe if your lucky a penny a pound.The bags and boards are worth more than most of these comics themselves.

Nobody is saying that that there wasn't a lot of drek produced during this 35 year period - there certainly was, and that's no different than any other era of comic books. But this has also been the friggin' golden age of comic book storytelling - where comic books have grown up, matured and finally given visionary artists & writers a chance to move the medium as a whole in a completely new direction.

The reason why people are anal about non-keys from this period is because there are thousands upon thousands of absolutely fantastic books that aren't necessarily keys - yet still command a decent amount of money when sold, and are coveted by collectors who happen to enjoy books that don't feature Streaky the Super-Cat or the Bat-Mite.

(Yes, sometimes if a book or series is considered a great read, it actually becomes valuable because of this - I know, it blows my mind as well.)

Claiming that 99% of the books printed in the last 35 years are worth "a penny a pound" and people should stop "thinking of making money with this era" is beyond ridiculous - just like there are dealers that specialize in Silver & Gold, there are dealers that specialize entirely in Bronze, Copper & Moderns, and have absolutely no problem making money doing so.

If you honestly think that the 1st appearance of Deadpool & Cable are the highlights of the last 35 years of comic books, you must live on another planet than the one I reside on - because, compared to the real keys of this era, New Mutants #87 is the crud you scrape off the bottom of your shoe after walking through the backyard of the neighbor who owns 5 dogs.

And, no, your Omnibuses/trade paperbacks are not really worth any sort of money - if you're lucky, they're worth approximately what you paid for them. In most cases, they're not ;)

You had no direct market before 1975, the books your talking about 1980 to 1995 were hoarded like baseball cards were from the same era,in other words comics from this era were manufactured as collectables, similar to the Franklin Mint, its been 30 years now for some of these comics and most of them are good to just read,what happened to bronze market will not happen to the copper market.there are just to many of them,also the bronze had great key characters like Wolverine,Punisher and Ghost Rider, what did the copper era produce? Deadpool and Cable.Name me all the other great keys that came out in the last 35 years besides Cable and Deadpool? I say you can`t name me more than 20.I will help you with eight, Bone 1 Walking Dead 1,Asm 300,,GI JOE 1,21,Transformers 1,Ultimate Spider-man 1 maybe the Crows first appearance. btw I am not a biggest fan of Cable,Deadpool but that is a snapshot of this era as far as investable comic books go. With the Omnibus I have always got my money back or a little more, this is a much better investment then modern/copper comics. example I spend $60 on a Omnibus,I read it and I can guarantee I will get that $60 or possibly more back on Ebay, while if we use your logic, if I spend $60 on the latest pile of new/copper comics,I can guarantee I will not even get back $5 dollars.seems to me a big difference. Enjoy your copper comics as I said they are the golden age for reading comics for most of us., just don`t expect to ever make money off them like gold,silver and bronze age comics, it will never happen,maybe some comics that came out in the last 10 years might be valuable do to low print runs but if we are talking 1980 to 1995,what you see now is what you will see in 10 years. very slow growth. ;)

You had no direct market before 1975, the books your talking about 1980 to 1995 were hoarded like baseball cards were from the same era,in other words comics from this era were manufactured as collectables, similar to the Franklin Mint, its been 30 years now for some of these comics and most of them are good to just read,what happened to bronze market will not happen to the copper market.there are just to many of them,also the bronze had great key characters like Wolverine,Punisher and Ghost Rider, what did the copper era produce? Deadpool and Cable.Name me all the other great keys that came out in the last 35 years besides Cable and Deadpool? I say you can`t name me more than 20.I will help you with eight, Bone 1 Walking Dead 1,Asm 300,,GI JOE 1,21,Transformers 1,Ultimate Spider-man 1 maybe the Crows first appearance. btw I am not a biggest fan of Cable,Deadpool but that is a snapshot of this era as far as investable comic books go. With the Omnibus I have always got my money back or a little more, this is a much better investment then modern/copper comics. example I spend $60 on a Omnibus,I read it and I can guarantee I will get that $60 or possibly more back on Ebay, while if we use your logic, if I spend $60 on the latest pile of new/copper comics,I can guarantee I will not even get back $5 dollars.seems to me a big difference. Enjoy your copper comics as I said they are the golden age for reading comics for most of us., just don`t expect to ever make money off them like gold,silver and bronze age comics, it will never happen,maybe some comics that came out in the last 10 years might be valuable do to low print runs but if we are talking 1980 to 1995,what you see now is what you will see in 10 years. very slow growth. ;)

You know,I remember a time when people said that about bronze age books hm

For the most part you are correct,but would hold onto your keys of this era.They may never be what the bronze age has become,but I just would'nt count them out either 2c