• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Williams Inks Over David Finch Cap Sketch!

15 posts in this topic

Scott Williams was nice enough to accept an inking commission for me on my David Finch Cap sketch David did for me at Wondercon '10.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=650484&GSub=34258

I think it came out fantastic! Can't wait to pick-iT up in San Diego later this month. If you are going to ComiCon I believe Scott will be taking a limited number of commissions there. I highly recommend getting something inked by him.

Thanks for looking and CAF comments always appreciated :)

Scott Williams was nice enough to accept an inking commission for me on my David Finch Cap sketch David did for me at Wondercon '10.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=650484&GSub=34258

I think it came out fantastic! Can't wait to pick-iT up in San Diego later this month. If you are going to ComiCon I believe Scott will be taking a limited number of commissions there. I highly recommend getting something inked by him.

Thanks for looking and CAF comments always appreciated :)

Thanks for the kind words Justin, and I appreciate you saying them publicly. You were great to work with, and I look forward to meeting you at San Diego with the Cap sketch in hand!

And thanks for the nice comments everyone, here and on CAF.

Scott Williams

Scott,

Do you prefer to ink over either 1) original pencils; 2) furnished blue-line copy; or 3) a digital file of the artwork?

I really like your inking, I think you bring out the very best in the pencils of the artists you embellish.

How was the process working with Neal Adams on Batman? I look forward to that release.

Scott,

Do you prefer to ink over either 1) original pencils; 2) furnished blue-line copy; or 3) a digital file of the artwork?

I really like your inking, I think you bring out the very best in the pencils of the artists you embellish.

How was the process working with Neal Adams on Batman? I look forward to that release.

Hi AKA Rick

I MUCH prefer to ink the original pencils. The few times I've inked off of a blue line has been out or necessity. It's not just out of habit, but I like to react to the subtle nuance of the pencil line which is often lost with the blue line method. And honestly, I think the value of the art is enhanced for my clients when I ink their original pencils (this is only true of modern art--I generally won't ink on an original "vintage" piece, and yes vintage is relative).

If anyone is interested in seeing a few other recent Finch commissions I have done, here are a couple more...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=99725

I am inking the Neal Adams Batman work directly on his original pencils. I probably wouldn't have accepted the assignment if I would have had to work on blue line. I'll have a lot to say on the experience of inking Adams at a later date when I'm finished and have a better perspective of what I accomplished or failed to accomplish.

Scott Williams

I MUCH prefer to ink the original pencils. The few times I've inked off of a blue line has been out or necessity. It's not just out of habit, but I like to react to the subtle nuance of the pencil line which is often lost with the blue line method. And honestly, I think the value of the art is enhanced for my clients when I ink their original pencils (this is only true of modern art--I generally won't ink on an original "vintage" piece, and yes vintage is relative).

Hey Scott,

I could use some help over on Comicart-L. I agree 100% with this view but not that many people are being vocal (or typel?) about it over there. I'm just a loudmouth clown but they'd listen to a respected inker like you. :baiting:

Scott,

Hi AKA Rick

If anyone is interested in seeing a few other recent Finch commissions I have done, here are a couple more...

I am inking the Neal Adams Batman work directly on his original pencils. I probably wouldn't have accepted the assignment if I would have had to work on blue line. I'll have a lot to say on the experience of inking Adams at a later date when I'm finished and have a better perspective of what I accomplished or failed to accomplish.

Scott Williams

You can ink my Finch anytime Scott.

It would be an honor, buddy. :applause:

Hey Scott,

I could use some help over on Comicart-L. I agree 100% with this view but not that many people are being vocal (or typel?) about it over there. I'm just a loudmouth clown but they'd listen to a respected inker like you. :baiting:

Hey Ruben--

I just went over and took a look at the discussion and it looks like all sides are being well represented. Call me a coward, but I generally don't get involved in these discussions, because as a working professional, I can see where my comments can come off as sounding self serving. Not to mention that some of my thoughts regarding this subject are pretty inconsistent, bordering on the incoherent. Variables and subjectivity=a no win argument. Not gonna play.

Scott Williams

Scott,

Hi AKA Rick

Scott Williams

You can ink my Finch anytime Scott.

It would be an honor, buddy. :applause:

Thanks Chris. Anytime.

I just went over and took a look at the discussion and it looks like all sides are being well represented. Call me a coward, but I generally don't get involved in these discussions, because as a working professional, I can see where my comments can come off as sounding self serving.

Coward! :fear:

Actually, main reason I was looking for your input was because some inkers on the list felt it was a personal attack at their trade when it's really just a discussion of hobby practices. I think it's resolved now. It gets aggrevating when no one can make a point on the internet because once you say something, many times it's taken as your ONLY all-encompassing viewpoint and if misinterpreted it can snowball. Not that it ever happens here.

I know a little about your collecting and I think you're one of the few professionals in the hobby that can see things from the collector's side. You're right in there shoulder-to-shoulder with a lot of us duking it out for the harder to get stuff so you understand the mentality better. Or should I say sickness?