• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT ...R.I.P Bob Probert.....45 is too young an age to die.

81 posts in this topic

NHL enforcer Bob Probert, fifth on league list for most penalty minutes, dead at 45

BY Kristie Ackert

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

One of the NHL'S all-time fighters and enforcers, Bob Probert, died Monday after developing chest pains and collapsing on a boat near his hometown of Windsor, Ontario. He was 45.

"Bob lost the fight of his life this afternoon," said Probert's father-in-law, Dan Parkinson, a police officer who performed CPR before Probert was rushed to Ontario's Windsor Regional Medical Center.

Probert was one of the league's most feared fighters during his troubled 17-year NHL career. He amassed 3,300 penalty minutes in 995 games with the Blackhawks and Red Wings. He is fifth all-time on the NHL's list for most penalty minutes behind Tiger Williams, Dale Hunter, Tie Domi and Marty McSorley.

Probert had a classic first bout with Domi at the Garden on Feb. 9, 1992, in which the younger Domi claimed victory and antagonized Probert by placing an imaginary heavyweight belt around his waist after the fight in true WWF style.

The two would continue to battle throughout the rest of Probert's career, which ended officially in 2003.

The battles for Probert, howver, were not just on the ice. He battled substance addiction throughout his career. He was charged with driving under the influence several times and served three months in jail for trying to smuggle cocaine into the U.S. from Canada in 1989. He was banned from the NHL for almost a year because of the cocaine conviction and was placed on the inactive list in the 1994-95 season to deal with substance abuse charges.

Bob is easily one of the greatest enforcers of all time. I use to be a big time hockey fan but the physicality was taken out of the game. I haven't been able to watch hockey for years - it turned into figure skating with sticks.

If there is a God I'm sure he/she has a sense of humor. I hope when Bob passes through the pearly ones he gives the All Mighty a little half smile and says "You wanna go?"

R.I.P. Probie

Bob is easily one of the greatest enforcers of all time. I use to be a big time hockey fan but the physicality was taken out of the game. I haven't been able to watch hockey for years - it turned into figure skating with sticks.

If there is a God I'm sure he/she has a sense of humor. I hope when Bob passes through the pearly ones he gives the All Mighty a little half smile and says "You wanna go?"

R.I.P. Probie

:golfclap:

well put !

He amassed 3,300 penalty minutes in 995 games with the Blackhawks and Red Wings.

Well there's something to be proud of... :makepoint:

For every ballet dancer like Gretzky there is a Probert watching their back and keeping them from being crushed like a human accordion in the boards.

That is part of what hockey is about.

Love this story .....

Cherry remembers attending a game where Probert was set to have a rematch with Troy Crowder after the two had staged a memborable fight earlier in the season. Everyone in the building was abuzz with anticipation.

"I said to the linesman before, 'If they get started don't break them up.' The linesman said, 'Are you kidding? I want to see it too,"' recalled Cherry. "The puck was up in the other end and everyone was watching Probert and Crowder. I remember he hit Crowder so hard, his helmet went about 10 feet in the air.

"It was a dandy."

Klima/Yzerman/Probert, probably the best line in the NHL that never got it's due because Detroit never had a second line. Just put too much pressure on those guys to produce. I never liked the Norris Division (Adams Division fan myself), but even I would have loved that line on the Habs.

Hope Bob's up having a cold one, thinking about when he was on top of the world as Stevie's winger! Have to mention this one too, but probably Don Cherry's favorite player when he played (and that says alot)!

Jay

Also its worthy to note that Probert fought in an era when lots of tough guys were cranking roids. Its fairly safe to say that he wasn't as his body shape never really changed during his 16 year career. Kordic was on it and if Tony Twist wasn't I would be shocked, he looked puffed up like a balloon.