• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT ...R.I.P Bob Probert.....45 is too young an age to die.

81 posts in this topic

I loved Probert especially when he would play against my Leafs. As a young kid watching him and Clark fight was very exciting. Here is my only Probert auto, I wish he was in his Detroit uniform.

Probertauto.jpg

Sad to see Bob go. His history of drug and alcohol problems is very well documented. He becomes another on the list of NHL heavyweights with substance abuse problems that eventually lead to an early death.

Probably the most memorable moments for me was watching him fight his best friend Joey Kocur, who IMO was tougher than Bob and to this day, the toughest guy I ever saw play, especially for his size. And this moment which pretty much summed up what Bob was capable of. A ferocious man who would get his wires crossed at times and there was no stopping him from seeking retribution.

I read about that today... sad news indeed. I grew up in Detroit up until 1997. The man was a wrecking machine. I've sat next to him and had a few beers more than once at Don Cherrys long ago. Always had the same leather jacket on and was a man of few words... until he got wasted. Dude was a stud and a legend of Detroit. I wish I was back home to mourn for him with my peeps...

Love this story .....

Cherry remembers attending a game where Probert was set to have a rematch with Troy Crowder after the two had staged a memborable fight earlier in the season. Everyone in the building was abuzz with anticipation.

"I said to the linesman before, 'If they get started don't break them up.' The linesman said, 'Are you kidding? I want to see it too,"' recalled Cherry. "The puck was up in the other end and everyone was watching Probert and Crowder. I remember he hit Crowder so hard, his helmet went about 10 feet in the air.

"It was a dandy."

They were pretty evenly matched... Probert may have beat Crowder in that fight, but Crowder pounded Probert in one of their other matches.

Love this story .....

Cherry remembers attending a game where Probert was set to have a rematch with Troy Crowder after the two had staged a memborable fight earlier in the season. Everyone in the building was abuzz with anticipation.

"I said to the linesman before, 'If they get started don't break them up.' The linesman said, 'Are you kidding? I want to see it too,"' recalled Cherry. "The puck was up in the other end and everyone was watching Probert and Crowder. I remember he hit Crowder so hard, his helmet went about 10 feet in the air.

"It was a dandy."

They were pretty evenly matched... Probert may have beat Crowder in that fight, but Crowder pounded Probert in one of their other matches.

Hardly... unlike Crowder who could only throw punches... Probert could actually play hockey when he had too... a 100% goon

Crowder was a very good heavyweight. But frankly, he didn't have the punching power of the elite guys, especially considering that at the time he was one of the biggest guys in the league. Any time he stood and traded with Probert, he buckled. Probert took Crowder's best punches. Crowder took a couple of big right hands from Probie and ended up on his azz. I'd rank Crowder in the 2nd tier of heavyweights of that era.

Of course there were no bigger right hands then Joey "KO" Kocur. There's a great clip of Craig Coxe, long retired, talking about how tough Kocur was and that back in their playing days, he knew there was no way he wanted to get into a stand up, trading punches battle with Kocur b/c he "hit too damned hard". And Coxe was enormous compared to Kocur.

http://redwingslegends.blogspot.com/2007/04/joey-kocur.html

Crowder was a very good heavyweight. But frankly, he didn't have the punching power of the elite guys, especially considering that at the time he was one of the biggest guys in the league. Any time he stood and traded with Probert, he buckled. Probert took Crowder's best punches. Crowder took a couple of big right hands from Probie and ended up on his azz. I'd rank Crowder in the 2nd tier of heavyweights of that era.

Of course there were no bigger right hands then Joey "KO" Kocur. There's a great clip of Craig Coxe, long retired, talking about how tough Kocur was and that back in their playing days, he knew there was no way he wanted to get into a stand up, trading punches battle with Kocur b/c he "hit too damned hard". And Coxe was enormous compared to Kocur.

You are 100% wrong. I have seen Crowder beat all the tough guys of that era. Miller, Brown, Mcsorey, and the list goes on. He lost alot of his fighting skills after he hurt his back which ruined his career. Only 2 people that I saw beat him before he hurt his back was Probert and Kocur. Just to let you know Kocur is by far the toughest SOB I have ever seen fight on the ice, everyone was scared of his right.

You are 100% wrong. I have seen Crowder beat all the tough guys of that era. Miller, Brown, Mcsorey, and the list goes on. He lost alot of his fighting skills after he hurt his back which ruined his career. Only 2 people that I saw beat him before he hurt his back was Probert and Kocur. Just to let you know Kocur is by far the toughest SOB I have ever seen fight on the ice, everyone was scared of his right.

Well, we agree about Kocur. Definitely don't agree about Crowder. I'd never rank Crowder amongst the elite guys like Kocur and Probert. As stated, I put him in the 2nd tier. Frankly, he hugged too much, didn't have a punishing power hand, it was good but not fearsome IMO, and TBTH, he got floored too many times.

In high school and college I was the hockey fight tape king. I must've had hundreds of hours of fight film from every era they had footage. I remember being underwhelmed by Crowder. Especially when I think about him getting buckled by guys like Darren Kimble, who nobody would rank as elite. Crowder was big, willing and good as I said. But no way is he up there with the best of the best.

Buckled twice and nearly sent to lala land.

object>

Well, we agree about Kocur. Definitely don't agree about Crowder. I'd never rank Crowder amongst the elite guys like Kocur and Probert. As stated, I put him in the 2nd tier. Frankly, he hugged too much, didn't have a punishing power hand, it was good but not fearsome IMO, and TBTH, he got floored too many times.

In high school and college I was the hockey fight tape king. I must've had hundreds of hours of fight film from every era they had footage. I remember being underwhelmed by Crowder. Especially when I think about him getting buckled by guys like Darren Kimble, who nobody would rank as elite. Crowder was big, willing and good as I said. But no way is he up there with the best of the best.

object>

That was after he hurt his back when that fight happen. He wasnt the same fighter after that. BTW did you ever see the fight between Jay Miller and Joe Kocur? Miller was scared to death and held Kocurs right and wouldn't let go, so Kocur floored him with his left lol

Hockey is a beautiful sport that is ruined by the street fighting mentality that belongs out on the local pond and not in professional sports.

bb :sumo:

It has its place. I remember a quote from, I think it was Murray when he was coaching the Kings that when a guy got into a fight, was it a personal fight or a team fight? Meaning, was it for the guy's own sake = selfish, not useful or was it a team fight, meaning sticking up for somebody who can't stick up for themselves or otherwise policing a situation that requires it.

I've played most of my life. It is a beautiful sport. But it's also a very fast sport where a lot of unseemly things take place under the radar. It's not for the faint of heart and there are only so many times you'll take a stick in behind the leg or a high elbow before you have to decide if you're going to do something to make the other guy think twice. Watching the Red Wings/Avalanche rivalry of the late 90's, you'd have seen some of the most beautifully played hockey in the modern era. Forsberg and Sakic, the Russian 5, Lidstrom, etc....But you'd also have seen some of the most ferocious battling between athletes in any sport. ;)

Hockey is a beautiful sport that is ruined by the street fighting mentality that belongs out on the local pond and not in professional sports.

bb :sumo:

I am surprised a guy from PA would say that ???

The home of the toughest SOB hockey team ever

object>

That was after he hurt his back when that fight happen. He wasnt the same fighter after that. BTW did you ever see the fight between Jay Miller and Joe Kocur? Miller was scared to death and held Kocurs right and wouldn't let go, so Kocur floored him with his left lol

I don't recall that one. I do remember Kocur beating a guy to the ice with his right glove on though. His hand was so beat up he couldn't take it out of the glove for fear or really damaging it so he just pummeled the guy with his glove on.

Then there was another memorable clip where the announcers were talking about the condition of his hand and the camera happened to pan toward the penalty box where Joe was sitting and it was nothing but mangled flesh. You could see skin hanging off the knuckles. Nasty.

Poor Jim Kyte.

He tried to fight all the big guys but had a hell of a time when guys like semenko ,hunter and Kocur were around...

He was actually Def too ....

I still the Jets, hopefully we will see them back by christmas !!