• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT ...R.I.P Bob Probert.....45 is too young an age to die.

81 posts in this topic

Effen hockey players goons should just be taken out and shot

an I'll add.....good riddance to Probert

I'm still curious to see if you were joking, about the Goons being taken out and shot and or stating good riddance to someone who just passed. Seriously - please fill me in.

I'm still curious to see if you were joking, about the Goons being taken out and shot and or stating good riddance to someone who just passed. Seriously - please fill me in.

Bad Karma to stomp on a dead guy

Well here is my favorite...The night the lights went out in 1987 ....

enjoy

With Canada in contention for gold and leading Russia 4-2 in their final game, the lights went out - literally. A bench-clearing brawl erupted and officials, struggling to restore order, had the lights in the arena shut off. The players continued to fight in the dark, and organizers were forced to cancel the game. Both teams were eventually disqualified from the competition. (TSN)

Those who aren't die hard Red Wings fans probably don't know this but during that World Junior brawl, there was one Russian kid doing his damndest to fight back against the Canadians. His name was Vladimir Konstantinov. One of the best overall defenseman I ever saw play. The great coach Scotty Bowman once said that the Wings drafted Konstantinov b/c of that game.

Vladdy is my FAVORITE all-time player right next to STEVIE Y.

Tell me you are joking....

Only sorta. These are the kind of players that cause me to NEVER watch pro hockey. Fighters and dirty players in any sport turn me off big time.

I remember a few years back when the Portland Trailblazers had Rasheed Wallace on their team. God I hated that guy. So much talent and so little brains. :frustrated: It wasn't long after that the era of the "Jail" Blazers came upon us Oregonians. Sad times indeed

Only sorta. These are the kind of players that cause me to NEVER watch pro hockey. Fighters and dirty players in any sport turn me off big time.

I remember a few years back when the Portland Trailblazers had Rasheed Wallace on their team. God I hated that guy. So much talent and so little brains. :frustrated: It wasn't long after that the era of the "Jail" Blazers came upon us Oregonians. Sad times indeed

To be fair though, you shouldn't toss the word "goon" around unless you know more about the topic. I mean, you say yourself that you "NEVER" watch hockey. So my guess is you wouldn't know anything about Bob Probert say, in relation to Scott Parker. Or Dale Hunter in relation to maybe Mike Peluso. Or players like Cam Neely and Brendan Shanahan to someone like a Rob Ray or Kelly Chase.

There are varying degrees of thuggery in hockey. In my 20+ years of participating, watching, reading and studying everything about the sport, that word shouldn't be thrown around loosely. Especially if you don't know what you're talking about. 2c

For the record, Probert is one of those players that actually transcended the role of goon to become a true role player and integral cog, especially during his best Detroit years.

To be fair though, you shouldn't toss the word "goon" around unless you know more about the topic. I mean, you say yourself that you "NEVER" watch hockey. So my guess is you wouldn't know anything about Bob Probert say, in relation to Scott Parker. Or Dale Hunter in relation to maybe Mike Peluso. Or players like Cam Neely and Brendan Shanahan to someone like a Rob Ray or Kelly Chase.

There are varying degrees of thuggery in hockey. In my 20+ years of participating, watching, reading and studying everything about the sport, that word shouldn't be thrown around loosely. Especially if you don't know what you're talking about. 2c

For the record, Probert is one of those players that actually transcended the role of goon to become a true role player and integral cog, especially during his best Detroit years.

Ok....you're prob right hockey guy. I went off after watching all of the attached U-tube vids of fights (especially that hockey stick to the groin in front of the goalie box) and then read that this Probert guy had one of the highest penalty minute accumulations in the game. Its the opposite of everything I believe sports should be

Ok....you're prob right hockey guy. I went off after watching all of the attached U-tube vids of fights (especially that hockey stick to the groin in front of the goalie box) and then read that this Probert guy had one of the highest penalty minute accumulations in the game. Its the opposite of everything I believe sports should be

No worries. I just thought its worth mentioning that in Probert's case, "goon" is a tad bit harsh considering he accumulated nearly 400 points during his career, which is an incredibly respectable number for any above average NHLer, but especially for a guy who spent over 3000 minutes serving penalties. lol

When I think "goon". I think of complete and utterly talentless hacks whose only purpose for existing on the ice was simply to fight and be an answer for the other team's fighter. This is a player whose hockey sense is not worthy of being on NHL ice. A player whose skating and overall skill set is so sub par he ought to have trouble finding work in the lowest of professional leagues. However, these players, especially in the 80's and 90's found a niche for themselves b/c lets face it. How many people do you know who are willing, night in and night out, to go toe to toe, bare-knuckle and risk serious injury fist-fighting another large human being intent on turning your face into a pile of shattered bones? I don't know many people like that.

Anyway, you should watch some hockey if you've got a few minutes. It's a graceful and beautiful sport. It's fast, action packed, physical, etc....But yes, you may see an occasional scrap. Part of what makes this sport a bit different than most and not for everyone.

(thumbs u

But do you like visor wearing weasels that high stick, cheap shot and injure other guys with slew footing guys, knees, hits from behind into the boards because they know that there will not be any retribution? Hockey is a physical sport and people are going to get upset when jerks are taking liberties or trying to take out the other teams best players. Probert was as classy a figther as your going to find, not a showboater, trash talker just a guy who looked after his teammates.

Love this story .....

Cherry remembers attending a game where Probert was set to have a rematch with Troy Crowder after the two had staged a memborable fight earlier in the season. Everyone in the building was abuzz with anticipation.

"I said to the linesman before, 'If they get started don't break them up.' The linesman said, 'Are you kidding? I want to see it too,"' recalled Cherry. "The puck was up in the other end and everyone was watching Probert and Crowder. I remember he hit Crowder so hard, his helmet went about 10 feet in the air.

"It was a dandy."

They were pretty evenly matched... Probert may have beat Crowder in that fight, but Crowder pounded Probert in one of their other matches.

Hardly... unlike Crowder who could only throw punches... Probert could actually play hockey when he had too... a 100% goon

I was referring to their fighting skills.

Well, the Bullies put a bit of a different spin on what was already a bloody and brutally vicious sport. There are some great documentaries about them during those years. I'm an avid fight fan but even I have my limits. I'm big on sticking up for your teammates and righting wrongs that occur on the ice. I'm not so big on guys just looking to fight with no cause or purpose or in retaliation for perfectly clean, legal hits. It's running rampant in today's game and bugs the krap out of me.

On the money. (thumbs u

It seems a good clean hit can't be dished out now without some sort of donnybrook starting up. :(

I would tend to agree that Stevens was the best. But part of me just gets annoyed by the fact that so many players seemingly forgot he was on the ice. It wasn't so much that he could go after you and hit you, it was that he just had good positioning and players just seemed to skate with their heads down in his general direction, which is freaking crazy when you think about it.

Another good one was Vladdy Konstantinov. Now he was a heat-seeking missile. He could actually go after you and get you, not wait for you to enter his kill zone.

Of course Dennis Potvin, one of the greats.

I would tend to agree that Stevens was the best. But part of me just gets annoyed by the fact that so many players seemingly forgot he was on the ice. It wasn't so much that he could go after you and hit you, it was that he just had good positioning and players just seemed to skate with their heads down in his general direction, which is freaking crazy when you think about it.

Another good one was Vladdy Konstantinov. Now he was a heat-seeking missile. He could actually go after you and get you, not wait for you to enter his kill zone.

Of course Dennis Potvin, one of the greats.

Steven was lethal. Finished afew guys careers including Lindros !

Sorry to hear about the loss of Probert, but this thread shouldn't be in "Comics General".

Yea Kinda my fault Andy ...

Didnt think it would last a week and 8 pages. Some big hockey fans on here ...

(Now go sell us some sweet DC war books)

:whee:

T