• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst condition books!

85 posts in this topic

:cloud9:

MMC4FileCopy.jpg

That's a Lloyd Jacquet file copy!

:o

I purchased it from Dave Reynolds, it could be but we don't know for sure but here is the back story he gave me on it:

"The owner of the book was deceased when I bought it. I bought his comics from his grand daughter in north jersey, who told me that he had worked in New York as a commercial artist back in the 40's and early 50's, but that is about all that she knew, she had no idea where it came from.

I am guessing that the book was removed from the office back in the 40's or early 50's, maybe he went there seeking work and they gave it to him, or maybe someone took it home and kept it, and then gave it to him. It is possible he did some kind of work there, the grand daughter did not seem to know and would not say his name. It is also quite possible as well that some of the office books were given out or taken home back then, and some may have ended up in used book stores around the area. Ayway all of his comics were from the 40's and early 50's, and the grand daughter said that she remembered him having the comics as long as she could remember, basically her whole life, so I believe the book was aquired by him in the 40's or early 50's, long before the file books were widely circulated by comic dealers. (I do not think he bought it from dealers later on in the 60's or 70's when the files were made available for sale.) This is what I deduced from the meager facts I could pull from the granddaughter, and I have no idea really if my deductions are correct. It is a mystery which may never be solved."

MMC4FileCopy.jpg

Peter, that "Office Copy" stamp looks EXACTLY like every other Lloyd Jacquet Marvel Mystery file copy that I have seen. What I don't see (that the file copies did have) is holes along the spine where the book was bound into a bound volume.

The stamp resemblance is uncanny. It's possible that there was more than one File copy or that this one wasn't bound.

I spoke to Jerry Weist about these in detail as he was the one that brought them to market. I wanted to put all the File copies together again (sort of a long term project) and he couldn't recall how many issues there were but he did say that they were all fairly brittle.

I bought that Subby #18 directly off Jerry but I believe it had "file copy" [not "office"] stamped on it and in thicker lettering. Its been a couple years but I'll see if I can dig it up in my photobucket-you subsequently owned it so you'll know what I'm refering too. I had to have this book regardless of its condition because if it was potentially a Timely file copy then the cool factor for me is off the charts, especially since its one of the very early issues and one of my all-time favorites. Keep me posted on the file copy stuff, maybe I should send Jerry and email and get his input?

Here's one of my many low grades--though this is admittedly on the lower end of the scale

After all, what's a low grade thread without an entry from the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Pedigree?

:grin:

Dardevil1-Front.jpg

Daredevil1-Back.jpg