• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thrill Is Gone...What is that called?

41 posts in this topic

ADD

i think this is the best answer.

I think the answer closest to the truth has its roots in modern psychology and the concept of Thrill of the Hunt and in the sociological precept of.....

"Squirrel!!!"

squirrel.jpg

ADD

I think the answer closest to the truth has its roots in modern psychology and the concept of Thrill of the Hunt and in the sociological precept of.....

"Squirrel!!!"

squirrel.jpg

lol

ADD

"Squirrel!!!"

squirrel.jpg

lol

do you find this, after hunting like crazy for a book and you finally get it, the thrill is gone? what is that called? lol

http://addictions.about.com/od/howaddictionhappens/g/comedown.htm

A similar pattern is described by people who are addicted to behaviors, such as shopping and gambling. When the thrill of a purchase wears off, and feelings of dissatisfaction set in, the shopper may feel the urge to make another purchase. In the same way, a gambler may want to re-live the excitement felt just before a win or loss, by betting again. The intensity of the comedown is part of why shopaholics and problem gamblers end up in debt.

do you find this, after hunting like crazy for a book and you finally get it, the thrill is gone? what is that called? lol

The thrill was purely in the hunt and the need to acquire - once gotten all that's left is anticlimax or inertia.

You need another grail to focus on, but quick.

The thrill was purely in the hunt and the need to acquire - once gotten all that's left is anticlimax or inertia.

You need another grail to focus on, but quick.

i know i want to get that AF15 on ebay with the googley eyes!

Content.

Yea, you're content, no longer hungering. After enough repetitions of hunting like crazy and finally finding over the course of hundreds or thousands of books over many years, more complex words like "ennui" or "blase" describe your condition better.

An incomprehensible, and probably unwanted, moment of sanity which will

rapidly disappear as a new grail looms on the horizon.

(with all due apologies to Lord George Gordon Byron)

The thrill is gone, the charm is flown!

Thus it is with comics' fitful fever:

We madly smile at the books we own:

Delirium is our best deceiver.

Each lucid interval of thought

Recalls the woes of hoarding's charter;

And he that collects as wise men ought,

But lives, as saints have died, a martyr.