• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: what is your credit card debt?

How much credit card debt do you have?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. How much credit card debt do you have?

57 posts in this topic

but if you have a primary residence for yourself the mortgage is tax deductable (but then I don't think you can depreciate it? although on that matter I am unsure).

DAM

You are correct. Unless you are taking home office. In that case, you might have to add back depreciation if you sell your primary residence.

1450 square foot bungalow in Winnipeg will run about $170,000.00 right now and the market has been hot for several years now. How's that compare with California...or other places for that matter?
confused.gif

I'll assume a bungalow is a "ranch"-style home? If so, you can't get a newly built home at 1450 sq ft as they don't make them that small anymore. So depending on how old it is and the location, a 1450 sq ft home in Iowa sells for approx 120,000-150,000. This is obviously for a house in good repair and not a PoS.

Brian

Try finding a decent place in the Boston area ! - I am looking for something under 300k , and i can find it if i want to live in a one bedroom or a condo...other than that, i will be the commuting boy...which i really don't want to do...It's gotten so bad, i started charging the dog room and board...man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...now if i can get my 11 yr old a job that pays 40k/year 893frustrated.gif

You're all whiners! Come over to England and look for something in London that isn't a sh*th*le. I have a terraced house in a cr*p part that is worth about £285k. The reasonable stuff starts around £400k and the good stuff at maybe £700k. They'd all be tiny in comparison with most of the US. Now factor in the exchange rate (about 1.85 now, but maybe 1.65 normally). Sheesh.

After 4 years of college and 3 years of law school and taking a job that pays nothing (when you consider I have a mortgage basically for my law school education and what others in my profession make) I have far too much debt hanging over my head. In fact, my credit card debt was out of control in my opinion. I owed somewhere around $10k I think about two years ago. Now I owe somewhere around $3500. I basically stopped charging anything and only use my card to rent cars, buy airplane tickets and occasionally charge a meal if I forget to bring cash (but then I use my check card). It's an easy trap for people in their 20s to get into, and it hasn't been til mid last year into this year that I'm feeling okay financially. I pay off my student loans every month now (although until I get a new higher paying job, it will take 25 years) and my credit card debt will be completely gone by the end of this year/beginning of next. I never plan on going into credit card debt again. It's crazy.

I never buy a book that I can't pay for in cash. Never. That's just me, only because I've done it in the past and I know myself with money.

I'm not referring to be people here on the boards but... too many people are crazy stupid when it comes to credit cards and not realizing that you just don't buy/spend what you don't have. Unless it's some sort of emergency, there's nothing that you have to have that you can't wait for.

But, this was a lesson learned the hard way. When I turn 30, I will have spent most my of 20s just repairing the damage I did to myself during my early/mid 20s.

1450 square foot bungalow in Winnipeg will run about $170,000.00 right now and the market has been hot for several years now. How's that compare with California...or other places for that matter?

You can buy a used 2 bedroom, 1200 sq ft condo in San Diego for about $300,000. A new 2,000 sq ft home costs about $650,000, and a used 2,000 sq ft home in the boonies runs about $475,000. tonofbricks.gif

If anyone on these boards is paying off a student loan and has NOT consolidated yet, please PM me. I work for a college loan company, and I can help you with new Federal loans or help you consolidate your loans. It's a free government program and the interest rates are at an all-time low, and you can get your payments cut in half if you need to. End of advertisement. wink.gif

I'm at under 1K. Would be at zero balance if not for my horrible fantasy football team. mad.gif

Lost the league and had to take everyone to happy-hour for drinks and food. Bastards ran up almost $500 on me. I didn't have that cash on me so I charged it (and right after I had set the card back to zero! 893frustrated.gif).

I'll occassionally charge a comic (if I order from Bob or something), but I've never spent over $400 on a book, so that gets paid in full when I get the bill.

I cut up all my cards a few years ago and never got another credit card. I use my debit card when CCs are needed. So zero debt. I had to do it. I got in too deep awhile back and vowed never to do it again.

Where I live it will buy you a tiny one bedroom apartment. 893frustrated.gif Anything worth looking at is over a million bucks. 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Yeh, I can only imagine what you'd get in California for 80,000. A closet?

Homes are skyrocketing out here in So Cali. $400K barely gets you a decent home confused-smiley-013.gif

A home? What's that? tongue.gif In my area, 400K will buy u a decent condo.

I guess I am luckier than most. I basically pay off my credits cards every month. I recently spent $5500 on TOS comics over the past 3 months and plan on paying the last $1400 off when I get the bill for the last comic I bought off Comiclink. I guess I was lucky to be into networking during the Internet boom. Though at one point before getting into networking I owed $30000 on my credit card. I paid that off in 1 year and put another $30000 in the bank which I used to pay off the loan on my house. I try not to buy anything on credit I cannot pay off when the bill comes in.

I have no revolving debt. Mrs. Donut is doing her patriotic bit to stimulate the economy, so I don't buy anything. grin.gif

Actually, I pay for everything with my Visa card to get miles, and then just write a big check at the end of the month. Visa hates me. Just wrote them a check for $11K (lots of business travel in February). I get two or three free United tickets every year, which is nice, since my parents live in Chicago and want to see their grandkids.