• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four Color Comics - Bought 3 Books, all three arrived damaged!

49 posts in this topic

My email to Rogovin yesterday:

Rob,

After we talked this morning, I had some time to think, and although I appreciate your willingness to credit me $25 for my next purchase, I really would rather have had the $25 to go toward the re-slabbing of these 3 books.

I understand that this is an unfortunate circumstance and is unlikely to happen again, but I would have been willing to pay a little more in shipping costs to get the books wrapped in padding (bubble wrap, etc) in the box, in the off chance that someone dropped it in transit.

I would like to continue to buy from you in the future, as you still have several books in your inventory I am interested in. However, right now, I am slightly less confident in buying anything else right now.

- Gary

His Response:

Sorry you feel that way. I have just purchased new boxes that will enclose the box I have used in the past . This will make all shipments double boxed so that should take care of the problem in the future. If you wanted the books wrapped in a special way, or insured I would have done that, but you would have had to ask. I can not make everything ok but felt giving you a credit on your next order was a start. Try looking at it from my side, as I have looked at it from your side, and you may agree.

Rob

There is only one way to ship a slab, $1.00-$2.00 worth of bubble wrap and a 1095 box or bigger.

Cardboard sandwich, a little bubblewrap to hold it together and then into a box full of styrophoam peanuts.

I get all my packaging supplies from a local cardboard supplier and the stuff costs me about $2-3 a package.

:cloud9:

There is only one way to ship a slab, $1.00-$2.00 worth of bubble wrap and a 1095 box or bigger.

Cardboard sandwich, a little bubblewrap to hold it together and then into a box full of styrophoam peanuts.

I get all my packaging supplies from a local cardboard supplier and the stuff costs me about $2-3 a package.

That would work too (thumbs u

Watch this:

Slab.

Tape 5-6' of bubble wrap to slab (recommended using CGC's original bag.)

Take a USPS Flat Rate Priority Envelope, and fold the flap backwards.

Place bubble-slab inside a USPS Flat Rate Priority envelope, perpendicular to envelope.

Slide another USPS Flat Rate Priority Envelope over the first one's opening, creating a "super envelope" for the bubble wrapped slab. This "super envelope" gives the slab leeway in case the box is badly jarred, but keeps the slab from getting anywhere near a corner.

Seal Super Envelope.

Insert Super Envelope into a USPS 1095 Priority Shipping box.

Fill void with styro peanuts (or newspaper, or anything to fill the void.)

Ship.

And VOILA! You now have FOUR layers of protection between the slab and the hands of insufficiently_thoughtful_person postal workers. Bubble wrap, Super Envelope, Styrofoam, Box. Hundreds of slabs shipped, NOT A SINGLE ONE DAMAGED.

(thumbs u

My email to Rogovin yesterday:

Rob,

After we talked this morning, I had some time to think, and although I appreciate your willingness to credit me $25 for my next purchase, I really would rather have had the $25 to go toward the re-slabbing of these 3 books.

I understand that this is an unfortunate circumstance and is unlikely to happen again, but I would have been willing to pay a little more in shipping costs to get the books wrapped in padding (bubble wrap, etc) in the box, in the off chance that someone dropped it in transit.

I would like to continue to buy from you in the future, as you still have several books in your inventory I am interested in. However, right now, I am slightly less confident in buying anything else right now.

- Gary

His Response:

Sorry you feel that way. I have just purchased new boxes that will enclose the box I have used in the past . This will make all shipments double boxed so that should take care of the problem in the future. If you wanted the books wrapped in a special way, or insured I would have done that, but you would have had to ask. I can not make everything ok but felt giving you a credit on your next order was a start. Try looking at it from my side, as I have looked at it from your side, and you may agree.

Rob

What a total BS reply. So using cushioning material is "special"????!!!!!!! He basicaly admits that his shipping in the past was not the best when he says he is going to start double boxing, yet he won't even help in paying for the re-slabbing which was caused by his poor packaging.

These are the type of dealers I avoid like the plague.

I thought it was a BS response too. Rogovin has lost any future business from me, and I would caution anyone else who chooses to buy from him because his packaging is not reliable, and clearly he is not willing to financially compensate for damages due to his packaging shortcomings.