• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First CGC submissions came back today!

31 posts in this topic

virtually every book I submit comes back higher, but that is expected by me (thumbs u

Show off :eyeroll:

Comes back higher than what Rick? Did you expect higher grades than what you expected? And if you did expect higher grades than what you expected what have you really done? Who are you tryin ta fool here, me or you? :baiting:

Are you questioning why would I slab it? Well on hindsight I wouldn't have but my daughter and I both like this cover. Hey it has white pages and an 8.5. Why not? It's the only bronze age book I'll grade.

You could probably buy a slabbed copy for less than the cost of slabbing.

This is a perfect example that most post-1975 books are not worth slabbing. ;)

What if the comic holds personal significance?

How does the slab enhance that? The slab makes it less personal because you can't hold, touch, thumb through, or read it anymore. I really wish the case could be designed to still function as a superb storage case after the seal was cracked. :(

That is exactly the situation. :golfclap:

Some people on here are all about the $$$$

Some things have more meaning than just money. My daughter says this is her favorite comic and since this will be displayed in her room...I got it slabbed to protect it.

Some things have more meaning than just money. My daughter says this is her favorite comic and since this will be displayed in her room...I got it slabbed to protect it.

Look, it's your book, your money, your decision. I'm certainly not going to knock you for what you did. However, you could have achieved pretty much the same effect with a new mylar. It would have cost less and the mylar would make it look even better than the slab.

Slabbing doesn't always protect you know. Have you heard of shaken comic syndrome? Also, the slab still doesn't protect the comic from being stored in an environment with lots of light and heat/humidity. You mentioned that your daughter is going to display it in her room. If she does, prolonged exposure to light will cause it to fade.

Look, it's your book, your money, your decision. I'm certainly not going to knock you for what you did. However, you could have achieved pretty much the same effect with a new mylar. It would have cost less and the mylar would make it look even better than the slab.

Slabbing doesn't always protect you know. Have you heard of shaken comic syndrome? Also, the slab still doesn't protect the comic from being stored in an environment with lots of light and heat/humidity. You mentioned that your daughter is going to display it in her room. If she does, prolonged exposure to light will cayse it to fade.

I hear you and understand it. Thanks! :)

I have heard of SCS and know that anything can happen to the book in the slab.

I like the comic and wanted it graded. I thought it would come back a 9.0 but that's cool...it was a learning experience. ALL my other slab worthy books are older than 1965.

I won't be slabbing any other bronze age or newer books.

How does the slab enhance that? The slab makes it less personal because you can't hold, touch, thumb through, or read it anymore. I really wish the case could be designed to still function as a superb storage case after the seal was cracked. :(

I can answer that question with counterpoints:

How does the slab detract from it? The slab keeps it from losing grade because it can't be touched, held, thumbed through, or read anymore. The fear of watching your book get bent or damaged in a long box are diminished. Granted, there is the whole "shaken slab syndrome" but if we're trying to keep our comic protected for significance we're not throwing it around like a football anyway.

Yes for that one percent of the time if it was given to me by a loved one as a gift but for the other 99 percent of the time NO!

a cgc 9.6 Peter Parker #1 sold on Ebay for $40 dollars yesterday, so I state my case that most post-1975 books shouldn`t be slabbed!

If Spidey one of the icons for comics can only muster $40 dollars for a 34 year old 9.6 comic what do you think the lesser known heroes will bring?

Most other comics wil bring much less.Most post- 1975-1995 Marvel books are a dime a dozen.

Penny by the pound I say. ;)

Yes for that one percent of the time if it was given to me by a loved one as a gift but for the other 99 percent of the time NO!

Just go ahead and say it:

If you garner no pleasure off comics than making money - cgc is the way to go. If you want to keep a comic that has sentimental value - don't cgc it unless you've never actually read it. If you have - buy a pre-slabbed copy first because Lord knows the quality difference between that 9.4 copy you bought off ebay and that 8.5 copy you actually bought off the stands yourself will draw out the grade snobs on an internet message board.

There was a time when I heard people say that cgc was hurting the hobby of collecting comics. I don't necessarily agree with that. What I do think cgc has caused is a confusion of the business of backissue sales with the hobby of collecting. This thread is a shining example of that.