• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Prehero Cover Contest: Part 1=Tales To Astonish

Tales To Astonish  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Tales To Astonish

50 posts in this topic

#29 has to be the best of the bunch.

One of the best out of ALL the titles.....but in my haste I forgot to vote for another of my favorites...TTA 5. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Was in my top 7 :headbang:. Picking only 7 is tough!! May expand the field to 10 for TOS.

Beautiful set of books! Looking forward to round two. There is going to be a round two, right? :wishluck:

Andy

Thanks, its been a pleasure putting them together!! Definitely will be more rounds. Will need some help with scans on JIM, ST, AA, etc.. Have TOS and AAF mostly covered, just need a TOS#29 scan.

34 is my favorite pre-hero TTA.

Man, I need to find me a nice mid grade copy of that book :baiting:

:sumo: Me first! Big green monsters FTW!

Thanks AF! Like the voting so far, lots of great choices!! Looks like it may be close for the final spot as 4 books are tied at 6 votes + 1 book at 5 votes. This round ends tomorrow at 6:30 PM Eastern time.

I always had a question about the cover of # 7. The monster on the cover has no resemblance to the creature in the story. I often wondered if they had a few different monsters for the cover and something got mixed up when it went to print. Any ideas?

DRX

Great question + seeing as that cover is definitely a favorite of mine, I'd love to hear the answer if anyone knows.

I always liked that cover too. I read the story many times and always kept looking for that monster in the story, but it just isnt there. I figured maybe they had the cover originally for another books or something since it didn't match the thing in the story. Where's Dice X when you need him?

DRX

I like #21 too, but there's alot of great covers + only so many votes to go around. I'd be interested in seeing the sales data for the issues that are getting the most votes as compared to the ones getting less votes. Does a "better" cover still sell the book as it did almost 50 years ago? I'd guess yes, but it would be fun to see that corroborated by the actual sales data. (thumbs u

Beautiful set of books! Looking forward to round two. There is going to be a round two, right? :wishluck:

Andy

Thanks, its been a pleasure putting them together!! Definitely will be more rounds. Will need some help with scans on JIM, ST, AA, etc.. Have TOS and AAF mostly covered, just need a TOS#29 scan.

TOS 29 SCAN sent via email... (thumbs u

Lemme know Rich if you need any others...I think I have most every one except some of the early JIMs and STs...

Tom

After voting it seems like a lot of people, myself included, are picking the same ones. I was surprised so few had picked #21 though. Think i was one of two people.

#21 was my 7th pick...somewhat tied with 15...something about the 15 cover that is so unique...and so...electric... :insane:

My votes...

2 First Ditko cover of the bunch...pretty Classic in my opinion!

4 Cover tells so much of the story...plus it's got so much going for it...great Kirby art...Hollywood set...dialogue baloons...humor...irony...plus Martians!

7 The best of Kirby/Ditko combined! Very ominous cover!

20 CLASSIC...very dramatic overall composition!

21 Exudes equal parts mystery and menance!

29 My favorite (tough to have a "favorite"...love 'em all)...and a harbinger (MAR 1962) and inspiration for the JIM 83 cover (AUG 1962)!

31 Gotta work a mummy cover in there...