• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best scanner for comics....

38 posts in this topic

Ok... I've been getting crazy with the new threads tonight I know (waaaay too many Jamaican 10 speeds will do that to a person), but I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on a scanner for comics. I have a UMAX right now, but after every other scan I have to unplug it for a while to get rid of the ugly yellow stripes that appear. Any suggestions on what is best? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've never tried it on comics because I use a D-cam, but the CanoScan N650U works very well on currency. I'm not sure they still make that model, but CNET gives a really nice review on the Canon 3200F. It's a similar model with nice photo and graphic reproduction. Canon just rolled back the price on it to $99 at their store, but I think CDW sells it at $79

Not sure if this helps..

I had been using an Epson Perfection 1200U for quite a while and was very happy with the scan quality, but it was just too noisy to use for long periods of time.

I checked the Epson site and found a refurbished 1260 USB for $37 with free shipping.

It was smaller and really quiet - which I loved - but it was soooo sloooow - which I didn't like.

I've had the device for three weeks and each week that I would do my scans, I'd spend at least an hour on the phone with Epson support because the machine would flake out during the preview.

Support would run me through the drill: Uninstall the drivers, reinstall the drivers, reboot, try a scan - fail - let's try this...

I told them that I can't work like this and that no device should take this much time to work. They finally agreed to take it back and actually give me a refund.

So I'm going to unpack the old one, but I'm back to looking a scanner...

Larry

Good for you! I didn't know about epson scanners, just printers, and I've never been too impressed with their printers' performance. We have one in the office where I work and while the color is accurate, it wastes way too much ink. BTW thanks for the auction on the ASM #122, looking forward to receiving it!

My advice is to stay away from the HP stuff for a few more months.

Too many fraggin driver conflicts with WinXP.

Actually... I was bored today so I went down and checked out scanners at the store. Ended up picking up an HP Scanjet 3970. So far it's working perfectly. Extremely fast previews and scans. Incredible resolution. It also uses very little memory so I can still work on other programs if I'm doing a seriously large scan. If it stays like this then I would definitely recommend it to everyone else.

Thanks to those of you who replied.

While we're on the topic. I picked up a UMAX scanner that fits legal sized paper (i.e. slabbed books). I seem to have a problem with the scanner showing too much glare off the cover. 893frustrated.gifAny hints as to what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a photoshop program use the twain access thru that,

If memory serves you can monkey around with the scanning preferences

a bit. I still use an old scuzzy legal size Umax on the old computer for

scanning comics. Only takes about 4 seconds to get a crisp clear

65k image. Fastest thing I've ever seen. I've had to change out 3 scuzzy

cards in the 5 years I've had it, but the scanner just keeps on tripping.

Wife loves to scan, so I cut her loose with a box of books, and we're

having to completely rebuild and relist the comic webshop, so she's

about 4 long boxes ahead of me.

. Only takes about 4 seconds to get a crisp clear

65k image. Fastest thing I've ever seen.

Speed is the key... The new one that I picked up does nice huge 1mb scans in about 5 - 6 seconds. My old UMAX took up to 15 minutes to do a 500k scan. The only negative to the new one is that it's not legal size.

Just bought the Canon LiDE 50. It produced the image below quickly and with little monkeying around (my test book).

One question for you scanner experts: when I scan a CGC book, the scanner focuses on what is touching the platen glass (the plastic CGC holder), and the comic (which is about 1/4 inch or so away from the glass, through the plastic holder) is badly out of focus. Thus, scanning a CGC book is virtually useless. Any solutions? Some way to tell the software/scanner to focus "deeper" past the plastic holder, on the comic?

Superman602.jpg

Just bought the Canon LiDE 50. It produced the image below quickly and with little monkeying around (my test book).

One question for you scanner experts: when I scan a CGC book, the scanner focuses on what is touching the platen glass (the plastic CGC holder), and the comic (which is about 1/4 inch or so away from the glass, through the plastic holder) is badly out of focus. Thus, scanning a CGC book is virtually useless. Any solutions? Some way to tell the software/scanner to focus "deeper" past the plastic holder, on the comic?

Superman602.jpg

Canons are useless for scanning CGC books. I used to have one and dumped it for a HP!

My scanner does that and so do most others.

You have to search far and wide to find a scanner that gives good results with slabbed books.

There was a thread by BB about that many moons ago somewhere around here...

How do people come up with the nice scans of CGC books on here? Are these the pictures that can be purchased from CGC when the book is graded, or do these people have better scanners? I've never purchased the pictures from CGC when I've sent books for grading -- should I be paying for the pictures, also? Looking for any recommendations.

I picked up the HP Scanjet 3970 and it does a great job. High res scans take all of 5 seconds to complete thumbsup2.gif The pic below is an example of what it scans like... All those white spots in the pic are from the lint trapped inside the CGC case (annoying). Shows just how well the scanner picks things up.

darkred.jpg

How do people come up with the nice scans of CGC books on here? Are these the pictures that can be purchased from CGC when the book is graded, or do these people have better scanners? I've never purchased the pictures from CGC when I've sent books for grading -- should I be paying for the pictures, also? Looking for any recommendations.

Epson Perfection 1650 scanner thumbsup2.gif

I use a free web hosting sight www.photobucket.com thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif