• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panelology

103 posts in this topic

I was almost stunned to read this story last night. Its from a 1941 issue of Sparkler Comics and is the origin story of a Mexican youth who comes to america. He is not really a super hero. As a matter of fact, he is just a plain ol guy. Innocent to the ways of the evil city......but boy is he strong.

What struck me is the begining panels showing his arrival in the states. I can see so many parallels between these panels and the whole "border situation" down south.

elbombo1.jpg

elbombo3crop.jpg

elbombo4.jpg

Frenemys. Like Bugs and Elmer hm

Its always interesting seeing how long ago certain words were in use, and if their meanings were the same or similar. Hemp certainly brings something to my mind ........and its not rope. This is from 1946.

I get by with a little help from my frenemys......

fourcolor123bugshemp.jpg

What is she bathing in? Oil?

I don't know, but around here, especially this time of year, the tap water is pretty bad - it looks like a urine sample. :P

No idea what a bib and tucker are . Some kind of female clothing maybe ??

You get the idea of a bib and a tucker is a "short sleeveless bodice," generally worn to cover the exposed part of neck and chest left exposed.

As to how it fits in this panel ... maybe it's to indicate that the black-oily water is still leaving too much exposed and she will cover it up? Maybe Honky can give us a little more context to understand the panel?

No idea what a bib and tucker are . Some kind of female clothing maybe ??

You get the idea of a bib and a tucker is a "short sleeveless bodice," generally worn to cover the exposed part of neck and chest left exposed.

As to how it fits in this panel ... maybe it's to indicate that the black-oily water is still leaving too much exposed and she will cover it up? Maybe Honky can give us a little more context to understand the panel?

it is a bodice, but i think it was used as slang to mean something like "my Sunday best" or "dressed to the nines".

and maybe that's supposed to be a milk bath she's taking, and the artist was a big Paul Celan fan? hm

In the meantime, here's how a bathtub scene should look like.

Of course, the circumstances are a little different as Carol, a heroine addict, has just found out she is pregnant and is facing a life-changing decision in this scene from Scalped 39 - Unwanted with art by R.M. Guera, an issue I happened to read this morning -

101588.jpg.8dadedcdc29aa55b9e0e3114569269e7.jpg

how many times have you looked at those fantastic schomburg/xela covers

and thought, "man i wish this guy woulda done the interior art as well".

well, you'da gotten a buncha panels like this....

boink%20Jon%20Juan%201-20.jpg

from the only issue of Jon Juan. written by Jerry Siegel, art by Mr. Schomburg.

how many times have you looked at those fantastic schomburg/xela covers

and thought, "man i wish this guy woulda done the interior art as well".

well, you'da gotten a buncha panels like this....

boink%20Jon%20Juan%201-20.jpg

from the only issue of Jon Juan. written by Jerry Siegel, art by Mr. Schomburg.

Getting hit with a dinner plate is never fun. :(

Cross-posted in the GA forum but it is a panel observation so here it goes as well.

Red Raven # 1 is a scarce Timely book with cover attributed to Kirby ... but one might not know that part of the cover has its origin in the January 15, 1938 Prince Valiant Sunday page by Foster. This is a technique that Joe Simon used a lot for his early Fox covers, cobbling together entire covers with vignettes taken from shudder pulp covers.

101621.jpg

I love stuff like this :applause: How awesome a compliment is it that Jack "King" Kirby stole a picture from someone.......?? When its Hal Foster, the compliment is understood

already posted this one in the have a cigar thread, but for you folks that don't make it to gold here it is again

DSC04591.JPG

Now theres a word that has almost dropped from usage and lexicon. But Sparkman uses it here in this panel from 1941

sparkmanonwallcopy.jpg

ok, i realize neither of these are panels, but I didn't see an appropriate place to put this and I didn't want to start a new thread. saw the horrific in a sales thread and realized it swiped one of my favorite GA covers. notice how the pilot musta been out of vogue by '52 and changed to a boxer. the horrific artist does get a point for adding horns to the shadow.

Bomber%203a_resize.jpgHorrific2.jpg