• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panelology

103 posts in this topic

I'm glad you found something to post Scrooge. I've been coming up blank the last few days. I love panels that are not square like in your horse jungle page. Barks did that sometimes. Its always nice to see some larger bigger artwork in a story. Also, circle panels are cool and seem to be something seen more in the GA than nowadays.

Thanks. That one worked for the artist ... but on another page, he / she got herself all screwed up and had to use the "arrow" of last resort to indicate the reading order lol I guess you can't win them all

I've been reading a lot of moderns late last week and was not looking for panels in those. Then I read some Atlas Wars and while there were some interesting stories, the art was only serving the stories and nothing was WOW, only nice serviceable work.

I'm not sure why, but this panel from the first issue of Turok always gives me the chills. After seeing thousands and thousands of bats coming from a large hole in the ground, Turok and Andar climb down to explore, in search of water. Down, down and down they go seeing many strange and wonderful geological formations along the way. Many many hours later they come to this huge and still lake. There is something creepy, and foreboding about that size of a body of water way deep down in the inards of the earth. Its like they aren't supposed to be there .... but they are

FourColor596Turokandlakecopy.jpg

Nothing crazy came up in my reading ... except this little Oopps this morning when I was reading vol. 3 of the collected The Heart of Juliet Jones by Stan Drake.

The letterer had a brain fart and copied the text cue onto the word balloon lol

It took me a minute to figure out that it was Mr. Brussel, Whit's father talking.

The daily is dated 8/2/1958 -

102398.jpg.d1849eb6f3f618def13b54f92f47ab8c.jpg

My favorite War comics are those stories that recount actual historical events.

The panel below from Battle 18 (Atlas) recounts the story of the Black Hole of Calcutta, wherein upon the fall of Fort Williams in Calcutta in 1756, allegedly 146 british defenders were imprisonned in a small guard room so packed together that the men inside died from suffocation, heat exhaustion and crushing and 123 perished. The panel describes the liberation of the prisoners.

Of course, historians have since cast doubts about the actual numbers involved in the incident but in the early '50's, I do not know what scholarship's opinion was, nor do I expect a funny book to provide such expertise.

102422.jpg.deb2c39d13955a3a89dfd62209abab0a.jpg

Thanks for the comment Marc.

I am trying to finish Volume 7 of the reprint of On Stage by Len Starr and this panel struck me. It's a great use of black and I really get the feeling of an early evening stroll under a rain soak city with those shiny slick black reflections on the pavement as these people walk ensconced heavily in their warm and wet coats. In essence, I found the panel to be very evocative of the mood and location. Simply great work in this single intro panel to the December 15, 1965 daily.

Oh ... and yeah, I get excited by the little details a little too much :foryou:

That's beautiful work. Thanks for posting this.

I'm not sure why the writers of the Hi-Yo Silver solo stories thought they had to come up with "dialog" for all the animals.

Why? Because otherwise, you wouldn't know that the off panel animal was talking, of course. :cool:

"Huh-uh-uh-uh ? and

"Whee-hee-hee-hee !

the first is obviously a question....but the answer has got me puzzled hm

Great use of space in this page-wide panel in Tom Corbett, Space Cadet # 8 (1954) with art by Paul Norris. Space looks cold and empty and foreboding in this panel ... just before the heroes are sucked out of their spaceship -

102489.jpg.d2930a69b85e34506ff97bce1b7489e9.jpg

What other hero can be unmasked with no consequences like Plas, who's entire face is really a disguise ?? From Police #9 1942

Plaswithnogoggles.jpg

Still unmasked ......

Plaswithnogogglesb.jpg

And now.....suddenly, as he and policeman Plotz make their escape....... he has his goggles on again. It makes me wonder if they are part of his plastic forming ability or real goggles ?? I just don't know hm

Plaswithnogogglesc.jpg

I also love studying how an artist makes each character look different beyond different colored spandex and a different haircut (for the artists that bother doing so). And I appreciate when an artist can have a cast of unique characters and still show family resemblance.

Very well put.

:golfclap:

I too love Panelology (the science of dissecting a single panel or panels) for so many reasons. Me and some others are constantly doing that at our Good Girl Art site Forum (listed below). Whether to revel in the glory of a panel's art, whether it's funny dialog, jargon, absurdities, oddities or specialties, there is so much to love within the covers of a comic book.

Good Girl Art Forum

GGA FORUM: http://www.SpankingPanels.com/forum/

102797.jpg.534e15266594168753387c6b6349ae9e.jpg