• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Store Salaries

25 posts in this topic

You can buy large quantities of back issue stock from people like Joe Koch or you can find a failed comic store and purchase its inventory. Some people start stores with their own books.

How does a LCS obtain its initial inventory of back issue stock?

Oh, and Lighthouse, is there really that much employee theft in the comics industry?! If so, that sounds like a pretty good reason not to hire the minimum wage 16 year-olds who are prone to do that kind of thing. (My apologies to any teenagers on the board who might be offended by that. wink.gif)

Actually the 16 year-olds are a better choice than the 22 year-olds in that regard... They have less expensive tastes and their methods are less sophisticated. So it takes less time to figure out whether then are stealing from you. A 22-year-old who is willing to work in a comic book store, who is also willing to steal from the store, has already been stealing for a long time. It's not a crime of opportunity for them. So they do a much better job hiding it. And if they are taking the job while not in college, it's quite likely they don't have plans for the future that they care about screwing up. So the downside is much greater.

It's one of the secondary reasons why so many of my employees are female. Girls are much less likely to steal, and their loyalty to their employer is much stronger...

But in answer to your first question, yes, employee theft is really that rampant... confused-smiley-013.gif

It's one of the secondary reasons why so many of my employees are female. Girls are much less likely to steal, and their loyalty to their employer is much stronger...

....and 'House what is are the main reasons you hire girls? You can say it. Your among bretheren here on the boards. devil.gif (refer to babe test thread)