• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

July Comiclink auction...the Official Preview and Review thread.

182 posts in this topic

Am I the only person that thinks $7200 IS a significant sale price? It's double the 9.4 average that the book sells for which sounds about right for the multiple between a 9.4 and 9.6 for a non key, fairly common in high grade book. And it sold for $7K. $7 THOUSAND dollars is not an insubstantial amount of money.

I was thinking that too, but I didn't look at GPA and don't know what the recent figures are. Looks like the only GPA sale is $11K in 2005. Census shows 7 copies. Issue 17 is similarly non-key like 16 is and has quite a few GPA sales, most in the $9K to $13K range for the last five years.

So yea, $7K is a terrific price. Not absurdly low, but not what it would have gone for in recent years. It rarely ever comes up for sale in 9.6, so the whales who usually compete for books like this are clearly no longer in the waters. Last summer this book would have gone for $15K to $20K, but that was the hottest summer I've EVER seen for nosebleed-grade Silver Marvels as that handful of "gotta-gotta-have-it-right-right-now" rich guys tore through the market.

By the way, I just placed my round of thrill bids on the FFs in this auction...everyone, please, OUTBID ME! :wishluck: There's not much I actually want in this auction. :blush:

Am I the only person that thinks $7200 IS a significant sale price? It's double the 9.4 average that the book sells for which sounds about right for the multiple between a 9.4 and 9.6 for a non key, fairly common in high grade book. And it sold for $7K. $7 THOUSAND dollars is not an insubstantial amount of money.

I was thinking that too, but I didn't look at GPA and don't know what the recent figures are. Looks like the only GPA sale is $11K in 2005. Census shows 7 copies. Issue 17 is similarly non-key like 16 is and has quite a few GPA sales, most in the $9K to $13K range for the last five years.

So yea, $7K is a terrific price. Not absurdly low, but not what it would have gone for in recent years. It rarely ever comes up for sale in 9.6, so the whales who usually compete for books like this are clearly no longer in the waters. Last summer this book would have gone for $15K to $20K, but that was the hottest summer I've EVER seen for nosebleed-grade Silver Marvels as that handful of "gotta-gotta-have-it-right-right-now" rich guys tore through the market.

Also you have to think some of the big wigs could be on vacation, doing other things than

buying comic books.

hm

Also you have to think some of the big wigs could be on vacation, doing other things than

buying comic books.

My historical memory of the market is the opposite--hot sales have occurred during summers since CGC started. Certainly last summer when record highs were being set every summer month it had no effect. The slow period is usually Nov - Feb as people are paying holiday bills, hot times are summers when the Marvel movies are out. The lack of Marvel movies this year could be dampening things, but I think it's more the economy.

By the way, I just placed my round of thrill bids on the FFs in this auction...everyone, please, OUTBID ME! :wishluck: There's not much I actually want in this auction. :blush:

what are you doing shilling them to keep the GPA up???

:o

No, buying to flip. I've always done that, I just have trouble actually doing the flipping...I'm the stereotypical pet shop owner who loves pets so much he never sells them. :blush:

Issue 17 is similarly non-key like 16 is and has quite a few GPA sales, most in the $9K to $13K range for the last five years.

17 (2nd Goblin) is much more sought after than 16. So, naturally, there will be more sales to reference.

16 is a "filler" issue of minimal significance.