• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

July Comiclink auction...the Official Preview and Review thread.

182 posts in this topic

However, #16 a filler?

I'll concede that "filler" was probably a bit harsh. It's not a true filler (like ASM#8).

I guess, the point was that #17 is the "better" book.

I believe some esteemed university will be the recipient of Bob's new found earnings

The #119 was surprising and I'm curious what my Green River copy would bring hm

A lot. Especially if it can be pressed to the promised land of 9.8. No 9.8s on census and only ONE 9.6. (Heck just 8 9.4s)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I think the greatest appeal that Bob's books had was that they had not been on the market in a long, long time.

That means that either the books had less chance of being pressed (for either upgrade potential or someone who doesn't want pressed books bid them up) or someone simply wanted fresh copies that were well preserved.

I would have loved to have been in a position to take some of those copies off your hands. Some of the toughest early Marvels to acquire in grade.

Either way, congrats Bob!

:headbang:

I agree plus perfect timing with the San Diego Comic Con and all the good buzz about the Thor movie.

(thumbs u

I believe some esteemed university will be the recipient of Bob's new found earnings

A lot. Especially if it can be pressed to the promised land of 9.8. No 9.8s on census and only ONE 9.6. (Heck just 8 9.4s)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just being realistic. (shrug)

First off, thanks to everyone for your congratulatory words. The proceeds are all going into my son's college fund, which he will start tapping into this coming year.

The Rocky Mountain #119 has a teensy corner ding in the upper right front cover, and so I don't believe it's improvable. I suspect that at least a couple of collectors have caught on that this is a key issue in the Thor run, with the first appearances of Fandral, Hogun and Volstagg taking on increased signficance in light of their upcoming appearance in the movie version.

The issues that I think have a good shot at being upgraded sold for top dollar: the 98, 104, and 114. The lone exception was the Pac Coast #117, which I strongly suspect can be pressed into a 9.6 and garner a better page quality designation, too, but sold for a relatively modest amount.

I'm really pleased that a significant number of the books were purchased by board members, guys who are good old fashioned collectors looking to accumulate and hold complete runs. (thumbs u

damn. the PC JIM 117 CGC 9.4 went for a steal at only $700.

Probably the single best bargain out of the entire run. And since I bought it directly from Roter and slabbed it myself, the comic is guaranteed to never have been pressed.

First off, thanks to everyone for your congratulatory words. The proceeds are all going into my son's college fund, which he will start tapping into this coming year.

The Rocky Mountain #119 has a teensy corner ding in the upper right front cover, and so I don't believe it's improvable. I suspect that at least a couple of collectors have caught on that this is a key issue in the Thor run, with the first appearances of Fandral, Hogun and Volstagg taking on increased signficance in light of their upcoming appearance in the movie version.

The issues that I think have a good shot at being upgraded sold for top dollar: the 98, 104, and 114. The lone exception was the Pac Coast #117, which I strongly suspect can be pressed into a 9.6 and garner a better page quality designation, too, but sold for a relatively modest amount.

I'm really pleased that a significant number of the books were purchased by board members, guys who are good old fashioned collectors looking to accumulate and hold complete runs. (thumbs u

I was hoping to score some of your books Bob, but they were way too nice for my meager 7.0+ run. I can certainly understand the prices, considering how TOUGH it is to put this run together even in VF much less NM.

Its still sad. My opinion differs from others, but I still dont press peds. I could have made a mint of the Defenders 1 I just sold, easy press to a 9.4

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I don't press Peds either. (thumbs u

:rulez: Its up to whoever the new owners are to do with as they please with the books. Doesnt mean I agree, but im nobody in the grand scheme.

Its still sad. My opinion differs from others, but I still dont press peds. I could have made a mint of the Defenders 1 I just sold, easy press to a 9.4

:rulez: Its up to whoever the new owners are to do with as they please with the books. Doesnt mean I agree, but im nobody in the grand scheme.

100% agreed.

100% agreed.

Stop agreeing with me :sumo: :sumo:

100% agreed.

Stop agreeing with me :sumo: :sumo:

I'll try. But it's so easy. lol

Probably the single best bargain out of the entire run. And since I bought it directly from Roter and slabbed it myself, the comic is guaranteed to never have been pressed.

you should have sold it to me. :makepoint:

It's not like the auction was a secret. :sumo:

It's not like the auction was a secret. :sumo:

i don't do CL, and you would've saved on the CL fees. :whistle: