• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Mask 1

22 posts in this topic

I say 5.5 or 6.0. Are people looking at the back cover? My grade would have been 7.0 or 7.5 before looking at the back cover. Is that a stain near the middle of the book on the right on the back?

The no-prize goes out to Discount or Murph (Discount waffled, but Murph was 2nd to guess a 5.5)! thumbsup2.gif

This book illustrates the differences between the physical structure of gold, silver, and bronze age books that you can't see in a scan, but you notice immediately once you start collecting/grading golden age books. They're really a different beast when it comes to grading, and in the case of this book there are "non-color breaking creases" that would definitely be "color-breaking creases" on silver/bronze books. I don't know if it's b/c the ink layer is thicker and doesn't crack as easily, or if there's actually a layer of saturated paper fibers that soak up the ink and when "broken", don't reveal the underlying white paper fibers. IMHO, a "non-color breaking crease" on a silver/bronze book is more accurately described as a bend, or dent?

mask1label.jpg

I say 5.5 or 6.0. Are people looking at the back cover? My grade would have been 7.0 or 7.5 before looking at the back cover. Is that a stain near the middle of the book on the right on the back?

The no-prize goes out to Discount or Murph (Discount waffled, but Murph was 2nd to guess a 5.5)! thumbsup2.gif

This book illustrates the differences between the physical structure of gold, silver, and bronze age books that you can't see in a scan, but you notice immediately once you start collecting/grading golden age books. They're really a different beast when it comes to grading, and in the case of this book there are "non-color breaking creases" that would definitely be "color-breaking creases" on silver/bronze books. I don't know if it's b/c the ink layer is thicker and doesn't crack as easily, or if there's actually a layer of saturated paper fibers that soak up the ink and when "broken", don't reveal the underlying white paper fibers. IMHO, a "non-color breaking crease" on a silver/bronze book is more accurately described as a bend, or dent?

I never waffle!!!! smile.gif