• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the San diego Comic con leaning even farther away from being a Comic con?

177 posts in this topic

I know the show has been getting away from its roots of being a comicbook show for a while now but for those who went to this years show is the trend continuing at an even more accelerated pace?

Look if you came with 50k to buy really vintage comics then you should be leaving the con with $0 in your pocket.

doh!lol:roflmao:

I said 50K not $50.00. meh

Exactly. Perhaps Action1Kid comes to shows with 50k (shrug) but your average collector, or Bobs average customer you would think would have a lot less.

What does the average collector bring to a show like San Diego ?

I am not seeing your point dude.

If you have money to spend then you have more than enough dealers at SDCC to find anything and everything your hearts desires.

So what are you laughing about?

I was thinking from an average collector pov. I doubt the average collectors collection is worth 50k. Just made me chuckle is all. I doubt many people had 50k on hand.

I do agree though that if I had 50k to spend I'm sure it wouldn't be hard on GA.

Seeing pics of Gators booth and Metros that 50 would be gone fast.

That what I was saying, but if anyone's definition of an average collector is basically a hundred bucks per show then you will have similar buying restraints at any show you attend.

I know the show has been getting away from its roots of being a comicbook show for a while now but for those who went to this years show is the trend continuing at an even more accelerated pace?

Not really. Besides Al Stoltz (Basement Comics) unfortunately not setting up this year I really didn't see any difference from last year.

Look if you came with 50k to buy really vintage comics then you should be leaving the con with $0 in your pocket. This show still has the best quality and quantity for amazing material anywhere in the comic con marketplace besides the NYC con.

NYC (Javitts) and SDCC are still the money makers for any dealers that actually has quality material and realistic prices.

This show for HighGradeComics was great. We sold a lot of really good books.

Much better than last year. (thumbs u

Personally as a collector I can always do without comic book dealers that can't make big shows anymore because .50 and $1.00 books just don't do it for me, sorry.

Even if SDCC wasn't a "Hollywood" phenom it is now I don't think there would be enough comic book dealers that could fill half the con space anyway.

The couple of local San Diego comic book store owners that I talked to that don't set-up anymore really shouldn't set-up to begin with. They just don't have the inventory anymore for it to make sense for the set-up in SD or for that matter any other major con.

Ahem :sumo:

Not really. Besides Al Stoltz (Basement Comics) unfortunately not setting up this year I really didn't see any difference from last year.

Look if you came with 50k to buy really vintage comics then you should be leaving the con with $0 in your pocket. This show still has the best quality and quantity for amazing material anywhere in the comic con marketplace besides the NYC con.

NYC (Javitts) and SDCC are still the money makers for any dealers that actually has quality material and realistic prices.

Personally as a collector I can always do without comic book dealers that can't make big shows anymore because .50 and $1.00 books just don't do it for me, sorry.

Even if SDCC wasn't a "Hollywood" phenom it is now I don't think there would be enough comic book dealers that could fill half the con space anyway.

The couple of local San Diego comic book store owners that I talked to that don't set-up anymore really shouldn't set-up to begin with. They just don't have the inventory anymore for it to make sense for the set-up in SD or for that matter any other major con.

Jeff you got screwed over. :frustrated:

Every time someone came over and asked, "Does anyone sell comic book supplies?" I answered yes "HotFlips," but they are not hear this year, so check them out online. (thumbs u

The show for me was a lot of fun. The number of dealers has decreased over years, but I still found quite a bit of very nice material. I actually spent $ 700 over my self imposed limit. And I could have spent a great deal more. This show has an incredible artist alley. The orignal art, movie cels, old movie posters, etc. is very fun to look at. I ended buying an original animation cel.

As far as having a comics only show, there is Terry O'Neil's California Con (in Yorba Linda). However, you must realize it is very difficult to run a show like that AND make a profit. Terry told me what his advertising budget was for 2009, and I almost fell over! But don't misunderstand me. I would love to see more comic only dealers in San Diego. But the economics may not work for certain dealers.

I also agree that some dealers have no business setting up at any convention. You need quality material to make it wothwhile. Now, is this because big conventions are getting more costly to attend? Is it because of the internet and auction houses siphoning off quality material? Or maybe it is combination of both?

I don't know if the San Diego Con staff are fat cats or not, or how much they pay themselves. But the show is well run (except for the bathrooms!!). As far as non profit organizations, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute ran Hughes Aircraft Company as a non profit company until 1986. Then it sold them to General Motors.

Every time someone came over and asked, "Does anyone sell comic book supplies?" I answered yes "HotFlips," but they are not hear this year, so check them out online. (thumbs u

Jeff I was prepared to buy a years worth of supplies from you,I went over to buy one thing from Bill Cole.Told him I was looking for mylite2s (725)silver/bronze,and he had a cow and said thats not his stuff and that you are talking about his competitor,and he took offense at my insinuation.I thought that everyone sold mylite2s I did'nt know that they were exclusively yours,so I did'nt buy anything from him.He was a total d-o-u-c-he.I thought to myself FU and told Bill to F himself for treating me a customer like that.

Jeff I was prepared to buy a years worth of supplies from you,I went over to buy one thing from Bill Cole.Told him I was looking for mylite2s (725)silver/bronze,and he had a cow and said thats not his stuff and that you are talking about his competitor,and he took offense at my insinuation.I thought that everyone sold mylite2s I did'nt know that they were exclusively yours,so I did'nt buy anything from him.He was a total d-o-u-c-he.I thought to myself FU and told Bill to F himself for treating me a customer like that.

:o

:gossip: Did you get a photo of that? :baiting:

Has anyone read the San Diego Comic Con mission statement?

It can be found on the second page of the souvenir book. Here it is:

Comic-Con International San Diego is a nonprofit [not not-for-profit as that is something different...quotes are mine] educational corporation dedicated to creating awareness of , and appreciation for, comics and related popular art forms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.

As far as I can see they have kept to that mission statement. They are simply giving the public what it wants and I don't fault them for it.

President of SDCC John Rogers also goes on to say in his message (page 1) that the show has challenges to face whether in SD, Anaheim or LA.

It's tough to please everyone, it really is. It's actually impossible.

I have to say thought, that I just got back and to me it's the best Con I've ever been to bar none. It's to Comics what Las Vegas is to good times. It seems as though there was no limit to what was possible there.

Unfortunately, I'm a little sad that the characters and the art form are moving away from paper...but that's the nostalgic grown up in me.

The child in me is excited and almost overwhelmed at how big these characters have become and how far reaching this pie slice of American culture is.

We are living in a time that as a kid I have dreamed about. We're living in a time where Comics are everywhere, Superheros are popular and the quality of films and video games are so real that they actually almost become a part of reality.

How does the classic comic geek reconcile with an expensive comic con to allow the average geek to attend?

We'll see how it pans out. All I can say is that SDCC is true to their missions statement so far.

:o

:gossip: Did you get a photo of that? :baiting:

No too PO'ed at him to have thought of that.

E. Gerber makes the Mylites2... HotFlips just carries them. :gossip:

Chicago and Heroes are really cool shows for comic purists, but both can set you back a few bucks when you factor in hotel rooms, parking, food, etc. Not sure about Baltimore, I've heard mixed reviews. Would love to go to check it out, or even go back to Chicago, but both fall into the later half of August this year which just so happens is the worst time of the year for me work-wise.

When it comes to Comic shows, I think you have to justify the several hundred dollars (or several thousand, for SDCC) in expenses by all the "intangibles" (meeting of old friends and hanging out, talking to artists and celebrities, the panels and other show-specific events) and not by the books you acquire. If you're just going to buy books, all the expense and hassles associated with a major show probably isn't going to be worth it for you.

E. Gerber makes the Mylites2... HotFlips just carries them. :gossip:

You could have asked him why there are never 100 bags in a 100 count bag of Arklites. (I take Ian Lavine's word for it after opening 32,000 bags worth and not having a single one contain 100 pieces.)

My dad bought a few bags from him and I was just stunned at the prices. He also wanted to pick up CGC boxes so he could save on shipping, but they apparently sold out Day 1. They told us we could have pre-ordered and they would have charged us less shipping. (I love that they charge shipping for guaranteed sales at a convention.)

I'll never get to SDCC but our east coast shows are defenitely worth coming to. Heroes is awesome as always, of course the Javits show and yes Baltimore is a great show! Marc does a great job with it, and the inner harbour is quite covenient for everything entertainment wise. I would absolutely recommend those shows. I always liked Mega Con too, can't beat FL in Feb

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Thanks man. Hopefully next year. I'll see you in Chicago right??

:roflmao: no, no, really :roflmao:^^

The answer is a resounding yes. :(

That said, many of the dealers I spoke with did better this year than last. (thumbs u

I do enjoy the entire con notwithstanding its continuing de-emphasis on comics. Some of the panels were really enjoyable. It was great to see a panel on Quantum Leap featuring Scott Bakula.

And I couldn't complain as this was my cheapest con ever. A client paid for my airfare (coincidently I had a Navy case that same week!!!! ;) ), my hotel room was paid for, most of my meals were paid for, my badge was paid for and I won $100 at Pala playing craps which paid for my dinner at Morton's!! :banana: I also sold some more Hollywood Hills books through Jamie Newbold which paid for the measly 3 Famous Funnies' books I bought.

It was a fun time all around. Now on to Baltimore in August and Javitts in October!

Also, building the stadium across the street didn't add to the congestion. There aren't home games during SDCC, and the parking lot is an option for SDCC attendees.

I think there was last year as I know I went to a game on Tuesday night, but perhaps that was the end of the home stand.

Look if you came with 50k to buy really vintage comics then you should be leaving the con with $0 in your pocket.

doh!lol:roflmao:

I said 50K not $50.00. meh

Exactly. Perhaps Action1Kid comes to shows with 50k (shrug) but your average collector, or Bobs average customer you would think would have a lot less.

What does the average collector bring to a show like San Diego ?

When I went to my first con in 08 I brought around $1000 on my just for the con not counting the expenses ... I was planing this trip for a long while though so I had a few years to save up & set aside the cash for it ... Figured it was my first con I want to get some autographs & toys & sketches & books & the like for me that is spending big :roflmao: I'm sure for those of you who make regular trips & have better jobs than me its nothing though :S