• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper collectors! Do you want your own "Age" in the Registry?

108 posts in this topic

I vote yes but I have a question - How will those Copper Age sets be decided on? If the series started in 1979 and ran throughout the 1980's would that be classified as a bronze age or copper age set? Or if the series started in 1990 and is still currently ongoing - copper or modern?

How are the gold, silver, bronze sets determined? Starting date? Ending date? Majority of books being in a certain age?

BUT a big yes regardless!!!! (I hate to get this going again but what dates will be considered the "copper age"????)

I vote yes but I have a question - How will those Copper Age sets be decided on? If the series started in 1979 and ran throughout the 1980's would that be classified as a bronze age or copper age set? Or if the series started in 1990 and is still currently ongoing - copper or modern?

I'm very interested to hear how this is addressed, as it makes perfect sense how this could be challenging. It's like titles like Action Comics or Detective Comics that span many ages - a challenge to categorize.

(I hate to get this going again but what dates will be considered the "copper age"????)

:popcorn:

I'm very interested to hear how this is addressed, as it makes perfect sense how this could be challenging. It's like titles like Action Comics or Detective Comics that span many ages - a challenge to categorize.

(I hate to get this going again but what dates will be considered the "copper age"????)

:popcorn:

If you look at the current Registry set-up, you can see that sets can have more than one age attached to them - for instance, "Action Comics #1-#300" is listed as Gold set, but it's also listed as a Silver set. One of the big guns - "Action Comics #1-#500" - is listed as a set in all 4 categories; Gold, Silver, Bronze & Modern.

If you look at the current Registry set-up, you can see that sets can have more than one age attached to them - for instance, "Action Comics #1-#300" is listed as Gold set, but it's also listed as a Silver set. One of the big guns - "Action Comics #1-#500" - is listed as a set in all 4 categories; Gold, Silver, Bronze & Modern.

I never noticed that before, but it is quite impressive to see collections like this that are out there.

I just wasn't sure how CGC classifies these sets for the registry.

Like CGC really cares about the age designations when it comes to the registry awards. Anyone care to offer a guess as to why X-men #94-143 wins for best MODERN set in 2008? meh

I think they used to do the cutoffs based upon the grading tiers. In 2008, everything from 1975 forward was Modern grading tier. Not that it makes any sense from a true comic age perspective, but there was a lot of debate about it at the time and that was the consensus, as I recall.

I think they used to do the cutoffs based upon the grading tiers. In 2008, everything from 1975 forward was Modern grading tier. Not that it makes any sense from a true comic age perspective, but there was a lot of debate about it at the time and that was the consensus, as I recall.

hm Well, at least that provides some explanation.

Still don't make no sense. :P

hm Well, at least that provides some explanation.

Still don't make no sense. :P

Agreed. The wailing and gnashing of teeth was terrible to behold.

Like CGC really cares about the age designations when it comes to the registry awards. Anyone care to offer a guess as to why X-men #94-143 wins for best MODERN set in 2008? meh

That's why we need another Age for the Registry.

I just stumbled upon this thread. Of course I voted "yes". Copper certainly needs a distinct category in the registry. So...what's the next step?

So...what's the next step?

in your other hand?

Stop that now!

Adam, we have been discussing this with Gemma in the 2010 award thread. So she is actively tracking what is being suggested.

in your other hand?

Done. Now what? :popcorn:

...probably shouldn't be eating popcorn.

in your other hand?

Stop that now!

Adam, we have been discussing this with Gemma in the 2010 award thread. So she is actively tracking what is being suggested.

I am of the belief that the Copper age runs from 1984 to 1992,thoughts. hm