• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper collectors! Do you want your own "Age" in the Registry?

108 posts in this topic

With the 2010 Registry Awards having been, *ahem*, awarded, something that has been on my mind since 2009 was the lack of a Copper Age designation within the CGC Registry.

Having done some reading, I know that there is the argument that the copper age may not be clearly distinct in terms of beginning and ending "exactly". However, we do see enough of a distinction here on the forums to give it it's own room, distinct from the Moderns.

I've posted my desire in the Awards thread in the Registry room and Comics General to see the Copper Age get its own category for awards purposes. For me, the need for a distinction came through when, similar to last year, Copper Age sets won awards for Best Modern set.

In no way do I want to take anything away from the truly amazing and award winning sets:

Best Modern Age Sets

Darth Pete Star Wars #1-#107

Darth Pete has assembled one the finest runs of the original Star Wars series ever. The set includes 9.8 copy of every all issues #1-#107 and Star Wars Annuals #1-#3. The set also has a 9.0 copy of Star Wars #1 35¢ price variant, which is quite rare to find in such good condition. As if that where not enough, the #1 issue is also a signature series book signed by Peter Mayhew and Anthony Daniels. This is an overall remarkable collection.

BeachBum X-Men #1-#233 (1991) Including Variants

Beach Bum has put together an incredible set of the modern X-men series starting in 1991. Every book in the collection is graded a 9.8 with even a few 9.9 issues. The only reason we have chosen to give him the number two slot this year is because the set is not quite finished. However a set that encompass almost 300 total books and spans 19 years is not something to overlook. A great job has been performed by Beach Bum; we look forward to seeing more from you.

mschmidt Miracleman #1-#24

Mschmidt proves that you do not have to present a set with a large number of books in order to win. This exceptional Miracleman set includes the only certified 9.9 copy of issue #17, a signature series #18 and #19 signed by Neil Gaiman and issues #20 and #22 signed by Mark Buckingham. The rest of the issues are all 9.8 which is no small task in of itself. Finally, the set is presented very well with full images and descriptions for each issue, which makes this set a great example for others to follow.

However, if we take into consideration the general idea of when the copper age begins and ends, 1982/83 to 1991/92, all three of these sets fall into the Copper Age, with the X-Men certainly stretching into the Modern Age. In many ways, I realize that a modern set, such as my own Cap set, or EvilAsh's Walking Dead set, or Fables, Transformers, etc. cannot truly be compared to a Star Wars set, or a Miracleman set, because of their timely significance in regards to their respective ages and even their significance to pop culture for that time period.

So I ask, how many are in favor of the Copper Age getting their own Registry distinction? What do we see as potential problems for creating such a distinction? Advantages?

Whenever I've posted I want to see the divide between Copper and Modern, most people tend to "+1" my post, but this is where the copper collectors converge, so I think this is the best place for this discussion.

I am curious for input!

So I ask, how many are in favor of the Copper Age getting their own Registry distinction? What do we see as potential problems for creating such a distinction? Advantages?

Whenever I've posted I want to see the divide between Copper and Modern, most people tend to "+1" my post, but this is where the copper collectors converge, so I think this is the best place for this discussion.

I am curious for input!

Amen!

I think part of the challenge is when someone has a set that spans many ages. But having the Copper Age finally recognized separate from Modern Age would be the right thing to do.

I posted it to show the 3 winners for the category :)

I also figured that it's one of those things that may make it difficult on the whole when creatiing a distinct registry set for the age? It was all in the interest of having a fuller discussion.

I posted it to show the 3 winners for the category :)

I also figured that it's one of those things that may make it difficult on the whole when creatiing a distinct registry set for the age? It was all in the interest of having a fuller discussion.

In that case, yes to Copper Age, no to X-Men #1 being in it :sumo:

:foryou:

I think it's long overdue that CGC splits up the "Best in Age" categories of the registry awards to include both a Modern and a Copper category.

By lumping them together, you're doing them both a disservice - the modern collectors complain that copper sets win in a category called "Best Modern Age set", and the copper collectors scoff at the fact that they don't have their own category.

It also makes the playing field a bit uneven, because you can't judge freshly-released books (which can be immediately submitted to CGC, straight from the Diamond box) on the same basis as books that are 20-30 years old.

Take Jerel's Locke & Key set, for instance. If Copper had been split off into its own category, that set (filled to the brim with 9.9's and 10.0's) would have been a shoe-in for a Best Modern Age set award. But judged on the same basis as the copper age sets - where we're talking about sets filled with perfect 9.8 copies of books that are 20-30 years old, the judges definitely seem to favor the older books.

Take Jerel's Locke & Key set, for instance. If Copper had been split off into its own category, that set (filled to the brim with 9.9's and 10.0's) would have been a shoe-in for a Best Modern Age set award. But judged on the same basis as the copper age sets - where we're talking about sets filled with perfect 9.8 copies of books that are 20-30 years old, the judges definitely seem to favor the older books.

My point exactly in the Registry Awards thread.

If you look at Jerel's set, that is a LOT of work not only in the photos he took, but also the extremely detailed descriptions of the set and the books. On top of that, like Michael pointed out, it has an amazing collection of 10.0's and 9.9's in one registry.