• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper collectors! Do you want your own "Age" in the Registry?

108 posts in this topic

My TMNT books run from 1984 to 1993, so that'd be just about perfect. (thumbs u

Does my Marvel Comics Presents:Weapon X #72-84 count as a Copper Age set? (shrug)

It does, but as long as Jespersen has his set no one else will ever win any awards in that category. His are signed by BWS.

:cloud9:

Does my Marvel Comics Presents:Weapon X #72-84 count as a Copper Age set? (shrug)

It does, but as long as Jespersen has his set no one else will ever win any awards in that category. His are signed by BWS.

He is the Newman of the MCP BWS set.

"HELLLLOOOOOOO, JESPERSEN!"

I am of the belief that the Copper age runs from 1984 to 1992,thoughts. hm

I think we are close, and would have to look at what major comic events led to a new age. Heck, I'm even open to going the route DC Comics Presents 26 and New Teen Titans 1-4 did not launch the Copper Age if that will help reach a common agreement. I do feel they laid the groundwork though due to the creative alliance between Wolfman and Perez.

1) Independent publisher explosion (TMNT 1?).

2) Crisis on Infinite Earths (CoIE 1?).

3) Frank Miller taking over creative control of Daredevil (DD 168) - now we are back to the early 80's.

4) Alan Moore launch of his UK storylines pre-DC that then came to America?

What else? There are loads more - I'm just on business travel and can't focus right now.

Take Jerel's Locke & Key set, for instance. If Copper had been split off into its own category, that set (filled to the brim with 9.9's and 10.0's) would have been a shoe-in for a Best Modern Age set award. But judged on the same basis as the copper age sets - where we're talking about sets filled with perfect 9.8 copies of books that are 20-30 years old, the judges definitely seem to favor the older books.

My point exactly in the Registry Awards thread.

If you look at Jerel's set, that is a LOT of work not only in the photos he took, but also the extremely detailed descriptions of the set and the books. On top of that, like Michael pointed out, it has an amazing collection of 10.0's and 9.9's in one registry.

I just discovered this thread(I hate dial up). I voted yes. (thumbs u

He is the Newman of the MCP BWS set.

"HELLLLOOOOOOO, JESPERSEN!"

lol

:popcorn:

I'm going to assume:

1984 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1984)

1992 - Year building up to the death of Superman (1/93)

The only other "big" events taking place in 1992 were Image-related, such as the intro of Spawn (June, 1992).

1992 - the year in comics

If anything, I would say the Copper Age went all the way until Superman 75.

:popcorn:

I'm going to assume:

The only other "big" events taking place in 1992 were Image-related, such as the intro of Spawn (June, 1992).

1992 - the year in comics

If anything, I would say the Copper Age went all the way until Superman 75.

You got that right,and because Overstreet say's so. (shrug)

The only other "big" events taking place in 1992 were Image-related, such as the intro of Spawn.

+1

I think it is just that simple. (thumbs u

So my Comico Primer #2, long considered a CA Grail, is now a Bronze Age book?

I've always considered the CA to start in 1980...and I would put the end of the CA at 1993 (shrug)

I've always considered the CA to start in 1980...and I would put the end of the CA at 1993 (shrug)

Honestly, me too.

I always considered it kicking off in late 1980, and going all the way to January, 1993.

That's why I think the best way to come to a common agreement for Copper Age start and stop periods is by major events. And a lot was going on in 1980.

1980 in comics

Yep, a lot going on In 1980. I've always seen the CA associated with DC Presents 26...for whatever reason...

I think 1992 makes sense as the last year of the CA. The Death of Superman in Oct/Nov of 1992 was kind of the last hurrah before the market and books REALLY took a turn for the worse. Plus this coincides with the release of all of the Image titles and pre-unity came to an end for the Valiant books.

1980 - 1992 makes sense to me

Honestly, me too.

I always considered it kicking off in late 1980, and going all the way to January, 1993.

That's why I think the best way to come to a common agreement for Copper Age start and stop periods is by major events. And a lot was going on in 1980.

1980 in comics

Which major events happened in 1980?

I mean, if you want to talk about big things happening in the early 80s, you've got 1982 (Pacific Comics, Epic Comics, 1st Marvelman & V for Vendetta in Warrior Magazine, 1st Love & Rockets, GI Joe begins, 1st Wolverine mini-series, 1st Primer from Comico, etc) and 1984 (a ton of small press publishers, Moore on Swamp Thing, 1st TMNT, Secret Wars, 1st Spider-Man black costume, Mage, etc).

1980 has the Teen Titans and the Dark Phoenix saga in UXM - that's about it :shrug: