• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here into Anime, Manga?

51 posts in this topic

When I was younger I loved Mecha based anime..

Starvengers

Danguard Ace

Grandaizer

also loved

Battle of the Planets

Spaceketeers

Star Blazers

Now watch

Deathnote

Code Geass

Afro Samurai

GITS

Ninja Scroll

Does Robotech count?

I have fond memories of being a kid and kicking back on the sofa to watch episodes of Robotech again and again. Pretty much on par with Star Wars for me as far as influence and something that has stuck with me since childhood. I love me some Robotech!

Does Robotech count?

I have fond memories of being a kid and kicking back on the sofa to watch episodes of Robotech again and again. Pretty much on par with Star Wars for me as far as influence and something that has stuck with me since childhood. I love me some Robotech!

I was surprised how Good Robotech (Macross) is.

The very first anime I saw was Akira back in the mid 90's shortly followed by Ghost in the Shell both on laser disc.

Those two movies set a high benchmark for me personally. Since then I have enjoyed the following (in no particular order)

GITS 2: Innocence

Vampire Hunter D

Blood The Last Vampire

Ninja Scroll

Princess Mononoke

Cowboy Bebop

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Berserk

Wolf's Rain

Samurai Champloo

Personally I can't stand most of the humor in newer anime and when I see those >_< faces I want to hurl.

2c

OG = old geezer? I'm afraid I need to catch up on my acronyms. Thanks the the welcome back.

Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Alchemist are also among my favourites.

I loved Battle of the Planets as a kid, but I totally ruined those memories by watching an episode again. Many older cartoons that you enjoyed as a kid are better left as memories! Comic books seem to hold up better over time ;)

I have bought nearly the entire Akira run, I'm missing the hard to find issues and one common one. Haven't started reading it yet. Got my stack at a serious deal so I bought it. I'll probably read through it before deciding if I want to drop the funds on the last few issues.

As a long time (albeit insular) manga reader, I have to say that you MUST read Akira. Dark Horse released 6 tpbs in the original b/w a few years ago. They should be easy to get. My only issue with them is that they're mirror images of the original art.

I enjoy reading manga more than watching anime. (shrug) Anyhoo, my current reads include Naruto, Bleach, One Piece (which is sooooooooo good), Bakuman and Berserk. Stuff i would recommend include Akira (which is frickin spectacular,) Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, Slam Dunk (potentially my all time fave), Rurouni Kenshin, and Hikaru no Go; all of these are completed.

Berserk and One Piece are currently on-going and highly recommended. Berserk, in particular, is extremely graphic. A very mature title which is really captivating. One Piece needs time to grow on you. Honestly, you have to read the first 10 volumes (tpbs) before you come to really enjoy it. But its absolutely worth it. The current story arc is amazing.

I enjoy both. My wife and I are currently watching the Death Note series and really like it.

As far as manga is concerned, I just recently finished reading Ode to Kirihito by Osamu Tezuka and would highly recommend it.

I'm not a manga fan but beside my comic books collection, my 10 years old son is a huge fan and got more than 600 mangas ( wife is happy ) , i asked him and here's what he likes :

One piece ( his favorite)

eye shield 21

Bleach

Doctor slump

Naruto

Full Metal Alchemist

Satan 666

Fairy tail

Soul eater

Death note

Dragon Ball

Akira